PDA

View Full Version : Network options

TomD
20-09-12, 12:55
Please can someone explain what the different plug ins are for in the network options menu? I understand the mini dnla, but the others are a mystery. I'm really interested as I am about to get a vulkano lava for streaming to another telly in the house, and think I may need one of these options?

Maxwell
20-09-12, 13:14
AFP = Apple File Protocol - used for file transfer to/from Apple devices
InaDyn = Dynamic DNS Client - you can set your own fixed hostname on the net, good for hiding your IP address
NFS = Network File System - File transfer protocol for windows/linux/unix based systems, faster than CIFS (Samba) for LAN devices/drives
OpenVPN = Virtual Private Network - secure peer to peer/site to site networking - good for client/server usage ;) amongst other things.
Samba = SMB/CIFS file transfer protocol compatable with windows and other network devices.
uShare = Full fat version of DLNA and compatable with network uPNP devices for streaming A/V etc

TomD
20-09-12, 13:44
AFP = Apple File Protocol - used for file transfer to/from Apple devices
InaDyn = Dynamic DNS Client - you can set your own fixed hostname on the net, good for hiding your IP address
NFS = Network File System - File transfer protocol for windows/linux/unix based systems, faster than CIFS (Samba) for LAN devices/drives
OpenVPN = Virtual Private Network - secure peer to peer/site to site networking - good for client/server usage ;) amongst other things.
Samba = SMB/CIFS file transfer protocol compatable with windows and other network devices.
uShare = Full fat version of DLNA and compatable with network uPNP devices for streaming A/V etc

Thats brilliant. Thanks