PDA

View Full Version : My Vu+Duo Call my USB Stick "hdd"

unisat
07-09-10, 18:25
Hi,

1/ My vu+duo doe not have neither an internal nor external hhd yet.

2/ Meantime am using a USB stick in the rear back of the Vu+ inserted specifically in the lowest USB port.
3/ When I go to / media , I find hdd folder and usb folder.

4/ I go to Vu+ Menu>Setup>system>HardDisk I find that my external USB stick there . Apparently my Vu+ recognises my USB stick as "hdd".

5/ How can I have Vu+ recognise my inserted external USB stick as a USB Drive rather than an "hdd" drive.

Note: am ignorant about mounting and mapping drives/ports so please execuse my ignorance.

Your help would be highly appreciated.

unisat
08-09-10, 10:43
20 viewers and not a single reply.

help please

pooface
08-09-10, 11:24
Hi,

1/ My vu+duo doe not have neither an internal nor external hhd yet.

2/ Meantime am using a USB stick in the rear back of the Vu+ inserted specifically in the lowest USB port.
3/ When I go to / media , I find hdd folder and usb folder.

4/ I go to Vu+ Menu>Setup>system>HardDisk I find that my external USB stick there . Apparently my Vu+ recognises my USB stick as "hdd".

5/ How can I have Vu+ recognise my inserted external USB stick as a USB Drive rather than an "hdd" drive.

Note: am ignorant about mounting and mapping drives/ports so please execuse my ignorance.

Your help would be highly appreciated.

If you want to ensure that it mounts as /media/usb rather than /media/hdd, then you're best off to edit the fstab file...

First off, find the current mount, by typing "mounts". Should give you one that is set as /media/hdd. Then, edit the fstabs file found in /etc/, and if there is a line which matches the hdd in the file (e.g. /dev/sda1 /media/hdd/), then edit the hdd to usb...

Give that a try and let us know how you go :)

jjp2701
09-09-10, 08:05
If you want to ensure that it mounts as /media/usb rather than /media/hdd, then you're best off to edit the fstab file...

First off, find the current mount, by typing "mounts". Should give you one that is set as /media/hdd. Then, edit the fstabs file found in /etc/, and if there is a line which matches the hdd in the file (e.g. /dev/sda1 /media/hdd/), then edit the hdd to usb...

where do i like for this, in dcc or on the panel of my image, i am trying to get my usb stick working in the box too, we could do with a stickie on this, how to, because i havent got a clue, been at this now for 2 days

unisat
09-09-10, 08:52

Hi,

Thanks for your reply

the /etc/fstab contents are:
rootfs / auto defaults 1 1
proc /proc proc defaults 0 0
devpts /dev/pts devpts mode=0620,gid=5 0 0
usbdevfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs defaults 0 0
#/dev/mtdblock2 /boot jffs2 ro 0 0
tmpfs /var tmpfs defaults 0 0
tmpfs /tmp tmpfs defaults 0 0

I can not see a line which matches the hdd in the file (e.g. /dev/sda1 /media/hdd/). Hence unable to edit fstab file.

regards

pooface
09-09-10, 08:59
Hi,

Thanks for your reply

the /etc/fstab contents are:

I can not see a line which matches the hdd in the file (e.g. /dev/sda1 /media/hdd/). Hence unable to edit fstab file.

regards

Right, now telnet in to the box then, and issue the command:

ls /dev/sd*

You should get something like:

/dev/sda /dev/sda1

Then, add the following line to /etc/fstab file:

/dev/sda1 /media/usb auto defaults 0 0

If you only have the one usb stick connected, it should be /dev/sda1...

Then, reboot the box, and let us know...

unisat
09-09-10, 09:35
Right, now telnet in to the box then, and issue the command:

ls /dev/sd*

You should get something like:

/dev/sda /dev/sda1

Then, add the following line to /etc/fstab file:

If you only have the one usb stick connected, it should be /dev/sda1...

Then, reboot the box, and let us know...

Hi,

following line added to /etc/fstab file:

and Vu+ rebooted. What then please.

pooface
09-09-10, 10:12
Hi,

following line added to /etc/fstab file:

and Vu+ rebooted. What then please.

Now, you should find that /media/hdd is blank, and /media/usb contains the files located on your usb stick...

jjp2701
09-09-10, 12:51
Now, you should find that /media/hdd is blank, and /media/usb contains the files located on your usb stick...

i have changed the first line in that folder through dcc and rebooted, now when i look at the record path my memory stick isnt showing, it is still the /hdd/movie folder showing, it is driving me insane, i just want to use my usb stick now, this box is a ballache to change things, could you please explain a easier solution, like a noobs guide with pics if poss, to change it to usb stick, and then when i pl;ug my usb stick in the front usb slot then it picks it up to record on and play on

unisat
09-09-10, 13:34

Hi pooface,

Unfortunately /media/hdd is still full of the files located on my usb stick as those found in /media/usb.

apparently we have duplicated the data .

So under / media I have the following folders :

1/ /media/ ba

2/ /media/ hdd

3/ /media/ usb

each of these three folders contains the same following data
ba,BarryAllen,bin,boot,fonts,locale,logos,lost+fou nd,MB_Images,script,usr,ba.sh,bainit,bapostinst.te mplate,barryallen.bmp.

So we ended up with three duplicates of the same data distributed among the three folders.

I have sent an ( df-h ) telnet command to Vu+. Following is the result:
PLiŽ openpli vuduo

vuduo login: root
root@vuduo ~ # df -h
Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root 7.3G 246.8M 6.7G 3% /
udev 64.0K 12.0K 52.0K 19% /dev
/dev/sda1 7.3G 246.8M 6.7G 3% /media/hdd
/dev/sda1 7.3G 246.8M 6.7G 3% /media/ba
tmpfs 64.0K 12.0K 52.0K 19% /dev
/dev/sda1 7.3G 246.8M 6.7G 3% /media/usb
tmpfs 69.1M 228.0K 68.8M 0% /var
tmpfs 69.1M 144.0K 68.9M 0% /tmp
root@vuduo ~ #

Hope this is helpful.

Thanks for your support and patience.

Awaiting your comments

pooface
09-09-10, 14:07
i have changed the first line in that folder through dcc and rebooted, now when i look at the record path my memory stick isnt showing, it is still the /hdd/movie folder showing, it is driving me insane, i just want to use my usb stick now, this box is a ballache to change things, could you please explain a easier solution, like a noobs guide with pics if poss, to change it to usb stick, and then when i pl;ug my usb stick in the front usb slot then it picks it up to record on and play on

You will need to change the record path. Once your looking at it in that menu, press the ok button, and browse to the usb stick, then hover over the "movie" directory, and press green button...

pooface
09-09-10, 14:09
Hi pooface,

Unfortunately /media/hdd is still full of the files located on my usb stick as those found in /media/usb.

apparently we have duplicated the data .

So under / media I have the following folders :

1/ /media/ ba

2/ /media/ hdd

3/ /media/ usb

each of these three folders contains the same following data
ba,BarryAllen,bin,boot,fonts,locale,logos,lost+fou nd,MB_Images,script,usr,ba.sh,bainit,bapostinst.te mplate,barryallen.bmp.

So we ended up with three duplicates of the same data distributed among the three folders.

I have sent an ( df-h ) telnet command to Vu+. Following is the result:
PLiŽ openpli vuduo

vuduo login: root
root@vuduo ~ # df -h
Filesystem Size Used Available Use% Mounted on
/dev/root 7.3G 246.8M 6.7G 3% /
tmpfs 64.0K 12.0K 52.0K 19% /dev
/dev/sda1 7.3G 246.8M 6.7G 3% /media/usb
tmpfs 69.1M 228.0K 68.8M 0% /var
tmpfs 69.1M 144.0K 68.9M 0% /tmp
root@vuduo ~ #

Hope this is helpful.

Thanks for your support and patience.

Awaiting your comments

Sorry, can't really help with pli, as I haven't used it for years (never really liked it). And especially not since you're using BA... Last time I used BA was on the dm800 over a year ago... But, I think that BA requires you to have a hdd set up to be able to read the MB_Images. So by my reckoning, you'll need to keep that in there. Could be wrong, maybe someone else can help...

unisat
09-09-10, 14:34
Thanks pooface

regards