PDA

View Full Version : [ViX_Misc] EPG update whilst shutdown?

lscolman
19-09-12, 19:05
Hi,

I'm saving a fortune (ok maybe not that much) in electricity costs by using the shutdown option of my VU+, instead of using standby.

One of the downsides is that scheduling an update of the EPG doesn't work whilst the box is shutdown. I have to remember to run EPG update every so often. Not the best solution.

Is there anyway to wake the box at a specific time for about 5 minutes, schedule the EPG update and then shut it down (preferably in the middle of the night).

Power Manager doesn't appear to have a bootup option?

Cheers, Lee

Larry-G
19-09-12, 19:21
Rather than shutting the box fully down use deepstandby which is almost to the point of powering off but still allows it to wake for recording and EPG downloads etc.

lscolman
19-09-12, 19:50
It is deep standby that I am using. It wakes to record programmes, but doesn't seem to for EPG downloads. I'll double check again now.

Larry-G
19-09-12, 19:54
you can use the power manager feature to set the box to wake and return to deepstandby at set times etc.

Stanman
19-09-12, 20:05
It won't wake up to download the EPG, your either gonna have to schedule it when you know box will be in use or as pheonix said

Rob van der Does
19-09-12, 20:48
Timers are also very handy to wake the box and let it sleep afterwards.

lscolman
19-09-12, 21:08
Hi,

This is what I need.

1) A way of waking the box from deep standby, say 3.00am (Nothing in Power Manager appears to suit)

2) I can set the Cross EPG to download at say 3.05am

3) I can use Power Manager to put the box back into deep standby at 3.10am

Can anyone assist with Step 1?

Cheers, Lee

lscolman
19-09-12, 21:47
Is there a command I can enter in the crontab to wake the box from deep standby?

Rob van der Does
19-09-12, 21:48
Use a zap-timer for step 1.

lscolman
19-09-12, 22:16
Just the job! Great stuff. Thanks Rob.

lscolman
20-09-12, 17:26
Zap Timer to power the box on, doesn't seem to be working as expected? It switches on the box, but doesn't select the channel. That's not important to be fair, but what it does seem to do is prevent the timed EPG download from running and the subsequent deepstandby request?

I have the following set:-
Setup, System, EPG, CrossEPG, Configure, Download at 17:00.

The scheduled deep standby command is also ignored?

I can only think there is some issue with the zap timer not working correctly?

Rob, can you assist with the settings for a zap timer? It's probably something simple.

Cheers, Lee

lscolman
20-09-12, 17:53
Very oddly, the EPG download I had scheduled for 17:22 just kicked in at 17:52, exactly 30 minutes after it was supposed to start?

And now the deep standby has kicked in?

Rob van der Does
20-09-12, 18:59
1- Setup a record-timer; set to 1 minute before the set EPG-download time, duration to e.g. 30 minutes and shut down on finish;
2- Change type from 'record' to 'zap'
3- Save