PDA

View Full Version : Timeshift setup on vix

garryboy
16-09-12, 22:33
Looking for the best setup for Timeshift on latest stable build of vix 3.0

I currently 4gb USB drive that I have for Timeshift , EPG and picons.

Im having problems with it set up this way. When I press pause or rewind the vix logo appears and it becomes very jittery and freezes and this is especially worse on hd channels.

I have formatted USB stick in ubuntu to ext4.

I have Timeshift saved to media/USB/Timeshift

Setup as 30mins Timeshift
Max events 1

Any ideas what's going wrong.

judge
16-09-12, 22:43
Timeshift on a USB stick will never work as good as it would on an internal or external HDD.
The R/W speeds plus using only a 4GB stick for TS, leave you extremely limited.

garryboy
16-09-12, 23:05
Thanks for reply judge

To be honest it was working fine before I updated to 3.0

I was using USB to save having hd spinning constantly.

judge
16-09-12, 23:16
4gb USB = about one hour of timeshift/recording of a HD channel with slow writing speed.
I'd use USB stick for picons & EPG but never for timeshift/recordings.

Rob van der Does
17-09-12, 06:53
Please have the stick formatted by the box. It formats with different settings.

garryboy
17-09-12, 08:41
Thanks Rob

How do I get the box to format it.

Cheers

Rob van der Does
17-09-12, 08:51
Menu --> Setings --> System --> HDD --> initialize
Make sure to select the correct medium.

garryboy
17-09-12, 21:10
Thanks rob

Working perfectly now.

mickyblueys
02-10-12, 15:57
I'm having a similar problem , help needed please. i had my 2gb usb set up for Timeshift, EPG and picons and to be honest it was working perfect this has been on Vix 3.0. but ive just got a bigger 8gb USB and thought i'd use that for longer timeshift. i let the box initialise the stick but i'm keep getting an error about hardlink?????????? help needed i've attached a couple of screen dumps to see what my mounts are now like. as i say it was working perfect but i get the alarm messages and when i try to see if the timeshift is working it is extremely jittery!!! thanks in advance!!

Rob van der Does
02-10-12, 16:11
According to the screenies your stick has not been formatted by the box: it is in FAT and the box would have formatted it to EXT4.

mickyblueys
02-10-12, 16:40
According to the screenies your stick has not been formatted by the box: it is in FAT and the box would have formatted it to EXT4.

well i guarantee you i clicked on initialise in the vu+duo menu set-up, i will try again and let you know!

Rob van der Does
02-10-12, 18:05
well i guarantee you i clicked on initialise in the vu+duo menu set-up, i will try again and let you know!
OK, I believe that, but apparently it didn't succeed. The stick needs to be unmounted to be able to initialise it.

mickyblueys
02-10-12, 19:08
OK, I believe that, but apparently it didn't succeed. The stick needs to be unmounted to be able to initialise it.

Cheers Rob eventually got it sorted i think, what i didi'nt notice on my screen was when the hardlink error was coming up on screen from my screenshot earlier, there was also another error message window behind it saying the usb initialising had failed because the usb was being used already. i simply took the usb out formatted it again on my pc, turned off the permanent timeshift ,reconnected USB ,rebooted box, and then initialised the USB again, which it did this time and then finally turned my permanent timeshift back on and created a new bookmark for it.
fingers crossed it seems to be ok! so again thanks very much mate!!

No doubt i'll be on again soon cos i love messing about with my box.....it drives the wife crazy.... which gives me added satisfaction too!!:D