PDA

View Full Version : Free-to-air channels?

Conaxthewarrior
06-09-12, 19:00
I just read a post saying that tv channels Dave and Yesterday are Free-to-air. Ive never been able to see these two channels - my VU Duo can find them but only shows a black screen. Up to now I've thought these channels were coded but not so it seems, so why cant I see them in the clear?
King of Sat lists both Dave and Yesterday are coded in videoguard so are they fta or not ?
My location is out of the uk using freesat.I can recieve all the usual freesat fta channels except these two it seems.

Larry-G
06-09-12, 23:05
There FTV or free to view via satellite. meaning that you need a valid sky uk card to view them. on uk freeview ( terrestrial tv service ) they are FTA or free to air as far as im aware.

Conaxthewarrior
08-09-12, 19:05
Thanks, Pheonix.
Seems like the classic catch 22 - free to view on the condition you buy a sky tv card or free to air without being able to view all of the "free" channels!!
I've always found it difficult why the UK has had a hard time freeing its satellite tv channels - Germany has no end of free sat tv (also coded tv of course) but here, clear is clear and coded is coded, not depending on what sat reciever you have (in this case sky or freeview)....seems like rather another uk mess.....

Dave-H
08-09-12, 19:28
Dave etc aren't even FTV, they're part of the Sky entertainment pack.

Very few FTV channels left these days (only 5 HD,LFC TV and a couple I can't recall atm) since the likes of 4HD, 5USA and 5* went FTA

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk 2

The Lambton Worm
09-09-12, 09:02
Both channels are available FTV on freeview.

Conaxthewarrior
09-09-12, 16:33
Both channels are available FTV on freeview.

Thanks Lambton but just to clarify, if its Dave and Yesterday we're talking about, then I cant recieve them on my VU+ Duo (no card atached) and as earlier mentioned, King of sat reports these channels as coded. Could you give more details how you can recieve them fta as I might either have my scanning wrongly set up or have mis-understood somthing.

Stanman
09-09-12, 17:20
Freeview is the digital transmission in the UK which replaced the analogue aerial transmission.

The only way you can get on a sat box is either with a USB tuner such as the Nova T or IIRC sony playstation version of a USB tuner - sorry forgot what its called. To get the HD transmission you need a T2 stick.

Larry-G
09-09-12, 17:21
He said freeview not freesat so I assume he means freeview as via a TV Ariel.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Stanman
09-09-12, 17:24
He said freeview not freesat so I assume he means freeview as via a TV Ariel.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

I know and he can get on the sat box using a USB tuner such as the NOVA T;)

Larry-G
09-09-12, 19:15
I know and he can get on the sat box using a USB tuner such as the NOVA T;)

my reply was not to you, ya dozy git ( LMFAO ). I was typing my reply at the same time as you were.

Stanman
09-09-12, 21:10
I zm sufferig frim vandoertitis, it cmeos with old age.

Larry-G
09-09-12, 21:11
I zm sufferig frim vandoertitis, it cmeos with old age.

WTF, is your keyboard pished ??

Conaxthewarrior
09-09-12, 21:12
Thanks all for the info.