PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting a motor dish -few questions!

samad
03-09-12, 22:38
I have a DISH with 4 lnbs, 13e, 28e, 4.8e, and 13e hotbird.

I feel like trying something new.

My questions are:

1) If I set up a dish with motor, how many sats can it cover?

2) if I change a channel from 13 hotbird to 28 astra, how long does it take?

3) is it worth going for a motor? any + any - ?

I am thinking of keeping my original dish with 4 lnbs, just thinking of getting a new DISH with motor.

Any help will be appreciated.

basilyoung
03-09-12, 22:47
it depends on where you arer based, here in the uk, you can get from 42 east to 30 west, with a 1 mtr dish, it will get most of the main sats

ie, turksat @ 42 east, 39/28/23.5/19/16/13/10/9/7/4.8 east .08/4/8/12.5/14/30 west there might be others, but this is just an example

samad
04-09-12, 01:05
based in denmark, copenhagen.

Rob van der Does
04-09-12, 06:43
I have a DISH with 4 lnbs, 13e, 28e, 4.8e, and 13e hotbird.
I feel like trying something new.
My questions are:
1) If I set up a dish with motor, how many sats can it cover?
2) if I change a channel from 13 hotbird to 28 astra, how long does it take?
3) is it worth going for a motor? any + any - ?
I am thinking of keeping my original dish with 4 lnbs, just thinking of getting a new DISH with motor.
1- See http://satellites-xml.org/ to get an idea. Of course it's not only 'being in Denmark' that counts, but also dependant on local obstructions.
2-3: that's the disadvantage of using only a motorised dish: zapping to any other satellite can take long.
That's the reason I combined a fixed dish (for Astra 1,2 & 3) for fast zapping on my most watched channels and a motor for excursions to other worlds.
With an 4/1 switch you can combine the 2 dishes.

samad
04-09-12, 22:17
1- See http://satellites-xml.org/ to get an idea. Of course it's not only 'being in Denmark' that counts, but also dependant on local obstructions.
2-3: that's the disadvantage of using only a motorised dish: zapping to any other satellite can take long.
That's the reason I combined a fixed dish (for Astra 1,2 & 3) for fast zapping on my most watched channels and a motor for excursions to other worlds.
With an 4/1 switch you can combine the 2 dishes.

OK got it all! thanks. Just one question, regarding the last part, so you have ONE dish and a 4/1 switch? How does that look like? any URL, any link where I can get more info. Because I will go with the same setup. Can you show me some images of how it looks like? So you have 1 dish with 3 lnbs and 1 motor lnb? Sorry but I am totally new to this, just trying to understand it.

Thanks a lot

basilyoung
04-09-12, 23:02
OK got it all! thanks. Just one question, regarding the last part, so you have ONE dish and a 4/1 switch? How does that look like? any URL, any link where I can get more info. Because I will go with the same setup. Can you show me some images of how it looks like? So you have 1 dish with 3 lnbs and 1 motor lnb? Sorry but I am totally new to this, just trying to understand it.

Thanks a lot

Yes Rob got me going on this setup, ( as in trying to understand ) and I have lots of experience with various dish setups, so you are not alone
your assumption is correct, in that dish one will have three lnb,s, dish 2 would be motorized = 4th lnb

there is a post on the forum, that explains more clearly, ( think it needs to be a sticky ) and in fact, there are options that would exceed most peeps needs

Rob van der Does
05-09-12, 04:28
Yes Rob got me going on this setup, ( as in trying to understand ) and I have lots of experience with various dish setups, so you are not alone
your assumption is correct, in that dish one will have three lnb,s, dish 2 would be motorized = 4th lnb

there is a post on the forum, that explains more clearly, ( think it needs to be a sticky ) and in fact, there are options that would exceed most peeps needs
In fact my fixed dish has 4 LNB's (althoug the 4tf is pointing at 13E which I hardly use.
Soa Astrat 1, 2 & 3 are equal on both tuners (switch inputs 1, 2 & 3) and the 4th input of one is LNB #4 (being fixed 13E on switch #1 and motorised LNB on switch #2).

And as I pointed out in the other thread: to prevent the switch from getting all the current for the motor, the wiring is slightly different from normal: from tuner B to motor; from there to switch output. All 4 LNB's to the 4 inputs.

I have this setup in twofold running for years now: never had any problem.

river-rat
05-09-12, 11:49
if you do go for a motor, dont buy a cheap one, my mate has had one for a week and keeps losting the settings after a scan

Rob van der Does
05-09-12, 19:59
if you do go for a motor, dont buy a cheap one, my mate has had one for a week and keeps losting the settings after a scan
There are no settings in a motor if yo use USALS.