PDA

View Full Version : Vu+ Duo Vix Bootloader (when is it required)

sledge121
03-09-12, 15:11
If I take delivery of a new Vu+ Duo receiver and want to flash with it with either Vix 2.4 or Vix 3.0 do I need to first flash with a bootloader, basically under what circumstances do I need to use the bootloader.

Cheers
Sledge

yasiree
03-09-12, 15:12
Boot loader first the flash/clean install...

Larry-G
03-09-12, 15:47
You only need to flash the bootloader if your using a older 2.6.18 Kernel image and want to use newer 3.1.1 based images. This is a one time only thing and once flashed does not need to be done again, although flashing it again will do no harm.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

sledge121
03-09-12, 16:23
Is there a cli command that tells me what bootloader is on, or would you just uname -r to see the kernel version and if it's 3.1.1 I can forget the bootloader flash?

Larry-G
03-09-12, 16:34
What image are you currently using ?. If its a ViX image go to the about screen and check the kernel version. Menu> information> about> if it's a 3.1.1 kernel image then there is no need to reflash the bootloader.

sledge121
03-09-12, 16:51
root@vuduo:/# uname -r

Mine is 3.1.1 but I'm getting another for a friend and wanted to know when I needed to flash the bootloader, I will check on the menu when it arrives as you say, I presume flashing the bootloader and Vix image is painless.

Rob van der Does
03-09-12, 16:58
You only need to flash the bootloader if your using a older 2.6.18 Kernel image and want to use newer 3.1.1 based images. This is a one time only thing and once flashed does not need to be done again, although flashing it again will do no harm.
Flashing a bootloader is always a tricky thing; reason why VU+ only brings a new one when it is absolutely necessary. There's always a risk that something goes wrong, and if so, the box is bricked (in the way that it needs to go to a repairshop)
So once done, it's done. I would never do it a second time, as that will bring no benefit, only risk.

Larry-G
03-09-12, 17:13
root@vuduo:/# uname -r

Mine is 3.1.1 but I'm getting another for a friend and wanted to know when I needed to flash the bootloader, I will check on the menu when it arrives as you say, I presume flashing the bootloader and Vix image is painless.

yes it's a easy enough process just make sure that you follow the instructions and DO NOT pull the stick out of the receiver while it is flashing or remove the power to the receiver as this will cause you problems, especially in the case of the bootloader.

pooface
03-09-12, 22:48
Iirc, if you have a serial cable connected and being monitored through putty or some other software, then when you boot the box, it tells you the erosion of the bootloader...

But, as stated, if your kernel is 3.1.1 on new box, the you shouldnt really need to refashion the bootloader

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

xarqi
04-09-12, 04:32
Would installing the newest bootloader interfere with subsequently loading images other than VIX?

Larry-G
04-09-12, 04:44
Would installing the newest bootloader interfere with subsequently loading images other than VIX?

No. On the Vu receivers the bootloader is fully backwards compatible with all kernel versions and all images new or old.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Rob van der Does
04-09-12, 06:06
Iirc, if you have a serial cable connected and being monitored through putty or some other software, then when you boot the box, it tells you the erosion of the bootloader...
Euhhhh, the version yes. For the DUO you should see:

BCM97335B0 CFE v2.17, CFE core v2.12, Endian Mode: Little
Build Date: Thu Sep 29 12:01:32 2011 (shcheong@ncsh)

romsyam
11-09-12, 23:45
Does anyone know how I can tell what bootloader is on OpenPLI so I can tell if it needs changing before installing latest VIX?

Many thanks

Larry-G
11-09-12, 23:47
Does anyone know how I can tell what bootloader is on OpenPLI so I can tell if it needs changing before installing latest VIX?

Many thanks

if in doubt just flash it to be safe. as long as you follow the instructions you will be fine.