PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Ultimo] Image backup failed and left box unbootable - no backup and need to recover files

slain
02-09-12, 21:44
Hi guys,

I've today attempted to create a full image backup before upgrading to ViX 3.0. This process failed with a couple of errors and left the OSD dead. So, I attempted a reboot thinking that the box would boot due to my assumption that during the backup process nothing on the flash would have been modified. I was wrong. The box would not boot again.

So, I went ahead and flashed ViX 3.0 anyway as the box wasn't even getting past the VU+ bootloader, and wouldn't boot even without the HDD and ethernet cable plugged in. ViX 3.0 is now flashed, and on my HDD appears to be a partial backup. I found the following on my disk:

root@vuultimo:/media/hdd/imagebackups/vuultimo-temp# ls -la
drw-r--r-- 3 root root 4096 Sep 2 20:47 .
drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 4096 Sep 2 19:13 ..
--wx---r-- 1 root root 89391104 Sep 2 19:18 root.ubi
--wx---r-- 1 root root 92536832 Sep 2 19:19 root.ubifs
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 133 Sep 2 19:13 ubinize.cfg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4194304 Sep 2 19:19 vmlinux.gz

Now, I'm thinking that I may be able to recover some important data from the root.ubi or root.ubifs files that have been dumped. I don't need much, just a couple of files from /home/root and a couple of files from /etc. I know that I can't mount ubifs images as loop on any machine, due to the need to create an mtd device as /dev/mtdX, and then from what I can gather I need to use `ubiformat /dev/mtdX -f root/ubi`, with X being the number of the new mtd device listed in /proc/mtd. Once I've done that I should be able to attach and mount the image.

The thing is, the way I found to create the mtd device (modprobe mtdram total_size=92000) doesn't work, and I've not been able to find an alternate method. Does anyone here know of an alternate method to do this, or better yet, have the full procedure to carry this out? I'm happy to do this on my desktop machine (Ubuntu 12.04 amd64) if anyone feels that it may be easier to recover from there, but I can't find any packages with the ubifstools.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

slain

andyblac
04-09-12, 19:20
Hi guys,

I've today attempted to create a full image backup before upgrading to ViX 3.0. This process failed with a couple of errors and left the OSD dead. So, I attempted a reboot thinking that the box would boot due to my assumption that during the backup process nothing on the flash would have been modified. I was wrong. The box would not boot again.

So, I went ahead and flashed ViX 3.0 anyway as the box wasn't even getting past the VU+ bootloader, and wouldn't boot even without the HDD and ethernet cable plugged in. ViX 3.0 is now flashed, and on my HDD appears to be a partial backup. I found the following on my disk:

root@vuultimo:/media/hdd/imagebackups/vuultimo-temp# ls -la
drw-r--r-- 3 root root 4096 Sep 2 20:47 .
drwxr-xr-x 6 root root 4096 Sep 2 19:13 ..
--wx---r-- 1 root root 89391104 Sep 2 19:18 root.ubi
--wx---r-- 1 root root 92536832 Sep 2 19:19 root.ubifs
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 133 Sep 2 19:13 ubinize.cfg
-rw-r--r-- 1 root root 4194304 Sep 2 19:19 vmlinux.gz

Now, I'm thinking that I may be able to recover some important data from the root.ubi or root.ubifs files that have been dumped. I don't need much, just a couple of files from /home/root and a couple of files from /etc. I know that I can't mount ubifs images as loop on any machine, due to the need to create an mtd device as /dev/mtdX, and then from what I can gather I need to use `ubiformat /dev/mtdX -f root/ubi`, with X being the number of the new mtd device listed in /proc/mtd. Once I've done that I should be able to attach and mount the image.

The thing is, the way I found to create the mtd device (modprobe mtdram total_size=92000) doesn't work, and I've not been able to find an alternate method. Does anyone here know of an alternate method to do this, or better yet, have the full procedure to carry this out? I'm happy to do this on my desktop machine (Ubuntu 12.04 amd64) if anyone feels that it may be easier to recover from there, but I can't find any packages with the ubifstools.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

slain

put the files somewhere i can get them and PM the link, i try to sorting something for you.

slain
06-09-12, 22:18
Hi andyblac,

I managed to attempt a mount on my Ubuntu box, but alas the files appeared to be trash and wouldn't mount in the mtd device I ended up creating on my desktop machine using modprobe mtdram total_size=92000. That should have been enough to fit the FS. Managed to create the files I was missing via email conversation archives and the like. Kept the old (broken) FS backups around just in case.

Cheers for the offer though! Much appreciated.