PDA

View Full Version : Access vu+duo root away from home?

shadowman007
30-08-12, 19:50
Am not sure about this but is there a way where you can access the root of your Vu+Duo receiver using a ftp client like filezilla remotely ? I mean this would be great for people who are not mostly at home and can access the root of their Vu receivers at work. :) I can just imagine updating my E2 settings, picons etc.... just sittin at work :D

Trial
30-08-12, 20:09
hi,
quite simple.

most important GIVE YOUR BOX A GOOD ROOT PASSWORD!!!!!!!!!

get yourself a dyndns (or similar) address

config your router to update dyndns (or your stb if the router cannot)

config port forwarding of your router so that port 1021 from wan is port 21 of your stb

with yourdyndnsaddress and port 1021 you can now access your stb from anywhere

with port 22 and 23 you can do the same for telnet and ssh

ciao
gesendet von meiner Tablette

shadowman007
31-08-12, 00:15
hi,
quite simple.

most important GIVE YOUR BOX A GOOD ROOT PASSWORD!!!!!!!!!

get yourself a dyndns (or similar) address

config your router to update dyndns (or your stb if the router cannot)

config port forwarding of your router so that port 1021 from wan is port 21 of your stb

with yourdyndnsaddress and port 1021 you can now access your stb from anywhere

with port 22 and 23 you can do the same for telnet and ssh

ciao
gesendet von meiner Tablette

Thanks for that i really appreciate the help. I currently have a dyndns account at http://dyn.com/ and have a port forwarded on my router for the Open Webif to stream my Vu+duo channels on my PC. So do I have to add another host? I can add total 31

Trial
31-08-12, 06:29
Hi,
yes. You need 21 for ftp, 23 for telnet or better 22 for ssh.

ciao

shadowman007
31-08-12, 20:30
What is my Start Port number ? what number(s) do i enter?

seancred
31-08-12, 22:47
Sorry to hijack a thread but this is of interest to me too. I already have a dyndns account for open web if. Can I type the same address I use to access OpenWebif, into my browser in order to access FTP or do I need another dyndns account?

Cheers

judge
31-08-12, 22:50
Sorry to hijack a thread but this is of interest to me too. I already have a dyndns account for open web if. Can I type the same address I use to access OpenWebif, into my browser in order to access FTP or do I need another dyndns account?

Cheers
No, dyndns looks after the IP address mapping, your router will look after the port forwarding.

basilyoung
31-08-12, 22:50
port 21 / 21 if you are writing a rule on your router