PDA

View Full Version : Fixed dish and moterised dish

jazz5000
28-08-12, 21:05
Hi

Originally was going to get a wave frontier dish but missed out :mad:

Anyway. Would it be possible to use my existing fixed dish at 28.2 which has a quad lnb and also add a moterised dish?

So tuner A would be direct to fixed dish
tuner B would be diseq to fixed dish and moterised dish,

Plan is to be able to watch other satellites but if i want 28.2 then it will change to fixed dish instantly.

Would this work?

basilyoung
28-08-12, 21:12
yes, the twin tuner units can control 2 seperate dishes, in what ever mode you want,

ie, 2 motorized dishes, 1 fixed the other motorized or what ever

you can also view to different channels and or sats, via either picture in picture, or streaming to a comp/iphone

jazz5000
28-08-12, 21:24
Would it work with fixed and moterised on one tuner though?

So say moterised was set on 13.0e but i wanted to 28.2e can it instantly change to fixed dish?
If so what diseq switch would i need?

I am looking at a

A High quality 1m satellite dish made by New Horizons complete with an New Horizons Diseqc 1.2 Motor, L-Arm wall mount & our new 0.1db single output LNB with Gold Plated Connectors for best signal gain !

Is that a good one to go for?
Im not sure if i am allowed to post links to eb*y

Also what size dish would be adequate to get most satellites.
Would 80cm be ok or should i go for 1m

Ideally i would want the 80cm for space issues .Would it pick up the main ones?

basilyoung
28-08-12, 21:35
80cm will get you just about all the main sats, with the main exception being 4.8 east, which is no big deal

I dont think its possible to control both dishes in the way you ask though, with a single tuner unit

the L arm wall mount is not a good idea for a motorized dish, go T+K bracket or there is a cheap wall mount that is hinged at the bottom, with two strap type arms,

Rob van der Does
29-08-12, 06:17
Yes, that works excellent.
I'm using a fixed dish with 3 dual-LNB's, connected via 2 4/1 switches to the 2 tuners of my box. One of the switches has the motor connected on the 4th input.

So now I have the advantage of fast satellite switching on both tuners for the most used satellites (using the fixed dish on Astra 1, 2 & 3), and the motor for excursions to all satellites.

jazz5000
29-08-12, 19:17
Thanks,
Will order one soon then

basilyoung
29-08-12, 19:33
Yes, that works excellent.
I'm using a fixed dish with 3 dual-LNB's, connected via 2 4/1 switches to the 2 tuners of my box. One of the switches has the motor connected on the 4th input.

So now I have the advantage of fast satellite switching on both tuners for the most used satellites (using the fixed dish on Astra 1, 2 & 3), and the motor for excursions to all satellites.

hello Rob

I wonder if you could post the setup method, please, I do now seem to remember that this works, but never tried it

Sicilian
29-08-12, 19:42

So say moterised was set on 13.0e but i wanted to 28.2e can it instantly change to fixed dish?
If so what diseq switch would i need?

I am looking at a

A High quality 1m satellite dish made by New Horizons complete with an New Horizons Diseqc 1.2 Motor, L-Arm wall mount & our new 0.1db single output LNB with Gold Plated Connectors for best signal gain !

Is that a good one to go for?
Im not sure if i am allowed to post links to eb*y

Also what size dish would be adequate to get most satellites.
Would 80cm be ok or should i go for 1m

Ideally i would want the 80cm for space issues .Would it pick up the main ones?

Wall mount http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Wall-Mounts/Orbital-J-Stand

80cm motorised kit http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Satallite-Dishes/Technomate-Satellite-Dishes/Technomate-80cm-motorised-solid-satellite-dish-pack Upgrate to Black Ultra LNB, prob one of the best available :)

basilyoung
29-08-12, 19:47
Wall mount http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Wall-Mounts/Orbital-J-Stand

80cm motorised kit http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Satallite-Dishes/Technomate-Satellite-Dishes/Technomate-80cm-motorised-solid-satellite-dish-pack Upgrate to Black Ultra LNB, prob one of the best available :)

yep, thats the wall mount I was on about

Rob van der Does
29-08-12, 22:33
I wonder if you could post the setup method, please, I do now seem to remember that this works, but never tried it
Basically it's the normal USALS setup, with added DiSEqC 1.0 commands. See screenie.

There's one point of special attention:
normally the motor-current will have to go via the 4/1 switch. Although they should be able to handle that without problems (according to the specs) I had several switches burned.
To prevent that:
connect the cable from the box not to the switch and from there to the LNB's, but to the motor and then to the switch. Obviously that costs a bit more coax (depending on the distance form the motor to the switch/fixed dish), but it works perfect.

basilyoung
29-08-12, 22:54
so to make sure i have read correctly

coax from unit to motor then coax from lnb to switch ( so no fly lead from motor to lnb ) ??

this is doing my head in,...I still fail to understand, as the motor would be driven by the unit..would it be possible to post a drawing, or link

basilyoung
29-08-12, 22:59
think i have got it now

coax to motor ( from reciever )

fly lead from motor to switch ( normally connects to the reciever )

then from lnb,s to inputs of the switch

correct??

Rob van der Does
30-08-12, 05:36
think i have got it now
fly lead from motor to switch ( normally connects to the reciever )
correct??
Almost correct:
fly lead from motor to switch ( normally connects to the LNB of the motorised dish)

But basically: yes, that's it. This way the current for the motor (should normally be less than 400mA, but at the moment the motor starts it might be more for a moment) doesn't pass the switch.

basilyoung
30-08-12, 22:34
your orig instructions were correct, ( obviously ) but takes a little thinking through, as it goes agianst standard thinking Rob, but thank you, when i have time, I will set that method up here

Rob van der Does
31-08-12, 06:44
your orig instructions were correct, ( obviously ) but takes a little thinking through, as it goes agianst standard thinking Rob, but thank you, when i have time, I will set that method up here
LOL
Indeed: thinking 'out of the box' isn't supposed to be easy :D

abu baniaz
07-10-12, 01:25
Sorry about this and if it sounds daft......

Why are there different LNB numbers?
What is the difference between the committed diseqc commands AA,AB,BA and BB, and 1-4 ?

Basically, the setup I would like to have is:
Port 1= Motor
Port 2= 28.2
Port 3= 19.2
Port 4= 13.0

Rob van der Does
07-10-12, 06:07
Naming ports '1-4' is the simple way of naming them 'AA, AB, BA and BB'.