PDA

View Full Version : Thinking of getting a gigablue

thejoker
26-08-12, 17:28
Should I get a gigablue or vu solo? Pity the gigablue did not have space for internal hdd or I would have bought it. I'm definitely considering getting a blue but only because VIX in now supported.

But is the box just as good as the vu solo, i.e tuner quality, processor, boot times, etc...

Mr. Mister
26-08-12, 17:32
Hi buddy.. Yes it is.. I got a Gigiblue 800SE last week.. and i really like it..

I have an external HDD connected to it.. and its working perfectly..

Also.. You can NOT put an internall HDD in a solo.. It will also have to be an external USB HDD..

portbhoy
26-08-12, 18:49
I got a UE 2 weeks ago and with the Vix image on I can't fault it either, great wee piece of kit.

Sicilian
26-08-12, 21:46
I've got both for testing here, SE & UE, cant fault it and cheaper than Solo :D ViX runs just as goods on the Gigablue as it does on the VU+ :)

portbhoy
27-08-12, 16:58
I said the same thing on another forum and got slated, don't think the person knew what they where on about :rolleyes:

Maxwell
27-08-12, 17:10
I said the same thing on another forum and got slated, don't think the person knew what they where on about :rolleyes:

Name and shame the username :D

portbhoy
27-08-12, 22:52
I'll save their blushes ;)

Larry-G
27-08-12, 23:06
I'll save their blushes ;)

LMFAO I wont though.

p.s RuberDuck is me.

AMIKO ALIEN 2 HDTV TWIN TUNER ENIGMA 2
AMIKO ALIEN 2 HDTV TWIN TUNER ENIGMA 2 FOR QBOX MINI HD BLADE MEDIA dreambox | eBay (http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180939143554?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649)

looks good ?
Amiko_SHD-8900_Alien_Nebula_v1.mp4 - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yljH3xhYLK0&feature=related)

I am not 100% sure about these and the maketing hype mentioning the Qbox mini does not give me enough faith to part with cash for one, I did read its not full Enigma2 its a variant from the Sparc or what ever its called.

as i thought i just read this on another forum:

Spark side works ok from what I hear, E2 needs work.
This is feedback from reliable sources.
Triple tuner can be had for aprrox £150 ish

if vix 2.4 worked on it id take a punt , intrestting box

I think open pli works.
It's not broadcom so be wary as its older sti chip

It's buggy as hell I've owned one Sparks is like having an openbox channel browsing etc is slow and clunky if you have been used to VU, Dream and pluggins like cross epg just don't function on it. But the main point has been already said it's an older sti chip.

never gona happen, this receiver is not broadcom based and as a result it cant run a native E2 image unless it is rebuilt from the ground up and compiled for this processor with specific driver support etc.

at the moment any E2 image you find for these is nothing more than a port. I can say this now ViX would not touch these with a bargepole.

look towards the GigaBlue or Venton Unibox range of receivers rather than this. the giga and ventons are all broadcom based and already have support from the OE-Alliance of which ViX is a member.

in fact if you look at the ventons they all HD1, HD2, HD3 run the exact same broadcom chip as the Vu Uno and Ultimo.

I have a gigablue HD800UE and although the chipset is slightly older than the duo with the vix image on it (comes pre loaded from world of sat) in everyday use I can't really tell the difference between my duo and this box.

Apart from the 2 minute boot up it takes from a deep sleep, It's ok from standby but from cold its worse than the DM800 and that runs the same BCM chipset and CPU

Yep it's slow to boot but as I said once it's up and running it runs sweet as a nut and it's a good budget alternative to clones.

Does anyone know how good the picture quality is?I know receivers with sti processors produce better pictures and I think the amiko has sti7169 processor.

Don't know whether it's Broadcom processors or enigma 2 software itself,I think pic quality is not as good in enigma 2 receivers.I have the vu+ duo,xtrend et6000 and dm800se clone,dm800se pic is the best out of all 3 boxes but it still does not compare to my old kathrein ufs 910 which uses sti processor.I heard the spiderbox receivers have excellent pq as well and they use sti processor.

If anyone has this receiver,could they let us know how the picture quality is.

The GB800 SE/UE have the same 333MHz CPU as a Vu+ Solo, not the older 300MHz one found dm800s.

My bad your right it just makes the DM800 look even better slower CPU and still boots faster, I got shut of mine because it was painfully slow hopefully the new Quad with the revised chipset should bring it up to speed with other manufacturers no pun intended.

Boot times don't bother me personally (whether it be a satbox, PC, Smartphone, Tablet, BD Player, media streamer etc) as long as it does its job once booted.

Looking forward to the Quad though, hopefully that 1.3GHz CPU will allow video transcoding (like the Duo/Solo 2 are promising with same chipset) and make streaming over the net much less faff.

judge
27-08-12, 23:11
the funniest thing about this is your username mate, RuberDuck?

Larry-G
27-08-12, 23:14
the funniest thing about this is your username mate, RuberDuck?

Thats just my little tribute to the old AM CB radio. I had one as a kid in the early 80's

judge
27-08-12, 23:16
Thats just my little tribute to the old AM CB radio. I had one as a kid in the early 80's
Ha, had one of those too, can't remember my handle though...

Larry-G
27-08-12, 23:18
Ha, had one of those too, can't remember my handle though...

oh i'm a radio nut mate, got all kinds of kit stashed away in my loft from CB to HAM radio to good old scanners and the like.

portbhoy
27-08-12, 23:36
Yep that's the one :thumbsup: Another Dreambox forever nut, don't get me wrong I liked dreambox but it's time to move on and try something else. And as you can see from my post about the Alien I like to try a few boxes ;)

Dave-H
28-08-12, 02:17

Fair bit of that about WRT Gigablue on other fora.

My favourite being, it's another DM800 clone in all but name rofl.

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk 2

Sicilian
29-08-12, 16:17
Fair bit of that about WRT Gigablue on other fora.

My favourite being, it's another DM800 clone in all but name rofl.

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk 2

The Gigablue's are NOT DM800 clones, they user their own images and their own drivers legally!

Craigyboy
30-08-12, 21:43
I'm also on the verge of buying one,

Every receiver on the banner has a 3D ready logo apart from the Gigablue................Is it 3D ready?
I checked the specs but the output formats aren't listed.

Thanks,
Craigyboy.

Larry-G
30-08-12, 21:45
every HD capable receiver is also 3D compatible, providing you have a 3D TV.

Mr. Mister
30-08-12, 21:45
God.. I got one of these and never thought of checking..

Have never had it connected to my 3D TV

Im 99.9% sure .. It is 3D ready..

fs1
06-09-12, 20:22
Hello all

I have a VU DUO and Mgcamd1.35a and 1channel work perfectly with VIX DUO image........ Thinking of buying an GigaBlue SE. Will same cam/plugin work with GigaBlue SE VIX image?

Regards
fs1

Stanman
06-09-12, 20:58
Yes they will, in most cases if plugins work on one VIX image they will work on image for other boxes as well.

Larry-G
08-09-12, 12:58
As pointed out plugins are pretty much universal along the ViX image line. So if it works for one ViX image on a Duo for example it should work on any other box we support. Barring where hardware differences may come into play such as in the case of blindscan etc.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

sonna
01-10-12, 20:31
Hi guys. Sorry for reviving this thread but would like some advice please.

I am also considering a Gigablue box (seeing as the VU+ Solo is currently sold out and the Gigablue box seems like a decent alternative).

However, I'm torn between the SE and the UE. Is the only real difference the LCD screen? TBH I would have probably gone for a Gigablue anyway as the VU+ Solo doesn't have the screen on the front...

This will be my first ever box so will be looking to run VIX. Does it run well on Gigablue?

Thanks for reading. I'm open to other suggestions or info.

Cheers,
Sonna

Sicilian
01-10-12, 20:33
Yes, just LCD is the difference, but tbh, it does look nice to have the LCD. Yes ViX runs excellent :)

Stanman
01-10-12, 20:36
If like me your prefer a nice VFD, than I would go for the UE.

The sponsor has it on special offer for £169 with free delivery.

Also best of all you get the VIX image on it:thumbsup: it rans the same on all boxes.

sonna
01-10-12, 20:48
Thanks guys. Deffo gonna go for the Gigablue then. Just can't decide between the SE or the UE!!!! Is the extra £20 for the LCD really justifiable?

Can you use the LCD screen to browse through channels rather than using the onscreen display? Does it show now/next/how long left information?

If it was just me, I would probably go for the UE. Thing is, the missus would need convincing... :D

pooface
01-10-12, 20:52
Thanks guys. Deffo gonna go for the Gigablue then. Just can't decide between the SE or the UE!!!! Is the extra £20 for the LCD really justifiable?

Can you use the LCD screen to browse through channels rather than using the onscreen display? Does it show now/next/how long left information?

If it was just me, I would probably go for the UE. Thing is, the missus would need convincing... :D

Currently, I have the TM twin and ultimo next to each other. Twin has vfd similar to se, ultimo similar to ue. I much prefer the vid of ultimo, and for just £20 extra, it would defo sway me. Without being able to try, I don't think you'd be able to say for sure, but then afterwards, you will probably feel let down thinking you could've have LCD display!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

fs1
01-10-12, 20:58
Hi all

Since last post re- buying Gigablue SE/UE I am still not sure about what to buy?? I have seen these two boxes on net - Alien 2 and Azbox Elite. All 3 boxes are around similar price.

I have had an Azbox before. After initial trouble with it and once Emigma 2 was supported it worked Ok. Have also read that the Enigma 2 is not good on Alien 2 box.

Anyone with advice on what to buy in next few days?

P.S. Can spare remotes be bought for Gigablue box?

Regards

fs1

sonna
01-10-12, 21:02
More spanners in the works!!! :D

Adrock
01-10-12, 21:04
The Alien 2 looks interesting from a price/hardware stand point but I think the lack of decent Enigma2, no 7 day EPG in Spark and a couple of other niggling bits mean its very green from what I've read about it.

I'm also in the market for a box, my first, I'm going for an SE because mine will be in a cupboard so the pretty LCD of the UE wont make a different to me. The Gigablue seems to do everything I want though.

Stanman
01-10-12, 21:05
I amy be wrong but I think the boxes you have mentioned run hacked E2 whereas the GB are well supported and several teams are writing images for them - with E2 box image is everything as without a decent one you will end up with a nice door stop.

As for spare remote, not sure mate, drop the sponsor a PM and he will be able to source one for you and if not possible at the moment, you might be able to use harmony remote - i do that with most of my boxes anyway as easier to control TV and other devices.

Sicilian
01-10-12, 21:16
Aliens are not Broadcom mips based, so will never run enigma2 as it should be run. If you want Enigma 2, ensure you go with a broadcom mips based receiver.

@ fs1, sure the sponsor can get spare remotes.

Adrock
01-10-12, 21:17
Am I right in thinking there is no internal space for a HDD in the Gigablue? That could be a worry for me, maybe a Technomate or Vu+ would be better for me but they are much more money. I need two inputs and I need a decent way to record stuff.

fs1
01-10-12, 21:19
I amy be wrong but I think the boxes you have mentioned run hacked E2 whereas the GB are well supported and several teams are writing images for them - with E2 box image is everything as without a decent one you will end up with a nice door stop.

As for spare remote, not sure mate, drop the sponsor a PM and he will be able to source one for you and if not possible at the moment, you might be able to use harmony remote - i do that with most of my boxes anyway as easier to control TV and other devices.

Ok thanks mate, i will pm sponsor.

Sicilian
01-10-12, 21:20
Am I right in thinking there is no internal space for a HDD in the Gigablue? That could be a worry for me, maybe a Technomate or Vu+ would be better for me but they are much more money. I need two inputs and I need a decent way to record stuff.

No internal HDD in Gigablue HD800xx, TM-Twin-OE, VU+ Duo, Uno and Ultimo all have internal HDD facility. Depends on budget i suppose.

fs1
01-10-12, 21:22
Aliens are not Broadcom mips based, so will never run enigma2 as it should be run. If you want Enigma 2, ensure you go with a broadcom mips based receiver.

@ fs1, sure the sponsor can get spare remotes.

Ok thanks for your reply mate. Looks like a Gigablue then.

sonna
01-10-12, 21:27
Hi all,

I opted for the SE. UE would have been pretty cool but I guess I would be looking at the TV most of the time and not the box... Also used the £5 discount code which was handy.

Looking forward to receiving it! Will let you all know how I get on.

Stanman
01-10-12, 21:32
Hi all,

I opted for the SE. UE would have been pretty cool but I guess I would be looking at the TV most of the time and not the box... Also used the £5 discount code which was handy.

Looking forward to receiving it! Will let you all know how I get on.

That true but it does come in handy especially if its in colour and shows details / picons.

I don't have GB but have a Ultimo with VIX, If you want to see how long a program has left etc, no need to touch the remote as everything is on the VFD, much handier.

Am sure the GB shoes time lapsed etc. I know Mr Mister has one and may be able to confirm.

For an extra £20 I would most def go with w VFD screen box, but both are good so wont go wrong either way.

Mr. Mister
01-10-12, 21:37
Congrates on the new Gigiblue 800 SE..

You will love it.. I got both the UE and the SE.. They are great little boxes..

You defo will not be disappointed..

sonna
01-10-12, 21:39
It would have taken too long to explain and justify to her indoors... haha. My current cable box has no display at all so its not that great a necessity.

fs1
02-10-12, 19:54
Just ordered Gigiblue 800 SE.....one question though.

Out of the box will i be able to install latest VIX (or any new other image) or will i have to load latest bootloader then install image?

regards
fs1

Sicilian
02-10-12, 19:58
Just ordered Gigiblue 800 SE.....one question though.

Out of the box will i be able to install latest VIX (or any new other image) or will i have to load latest bootloader then install image?

regards
fs1

The sponsor pre-flashes latest bootloader and vix image ;) http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Digital-Satellite-Receivers/Gigablue-HD-Linux-Enigma-2-Satellite-Receivers/GiGaBlue-HD-800-SE-HD800SE-Digital-Satellite-Receiver-Linux-Enigma-2-1x-DVB-S-S2

PRE-FLASHED WITH LATEST BOOTLOADER AND OPENVIX 3.0 PRIOR TO SHIPPING FREE OF CHARGE!

fs1
02-10-12, 20:07
The sponsor pre-flashes latest bootloader and vix image ;) http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Digital-Satellite-Receivers/Gigablue-HD-Linux-Enigma-2-Satellite-Receivers/GiGaBlue-HD-800-SE-HD800SE-Digital-Satellite-Receiver-Linux-Enigma-2-1x-DVB-S-S2

PRE-FLASHED WITH LATEST BOOTLOADER AND OPENVIX 3.0 PRIOR TO SHIPPING FREE OF CHARGE!

Fantastic news Sicilian and thanks for your help. Looking forward to new box.

hilly
02-10-12, 20:49
im finding my SE takes forever to boot back up.But once running is great for the bedroom and would have no problems using as a main box.

Mr. Mister
02-10-12, 20:49
If you bought it from WoS.. Then the chances are it will arrive with you having the latest Vix Image pre-installed..

danivtec
04-10-12, 13:11
My UE had latest ViX image on it when it arrived.

Excellent service.

75mak
07-10-12, 10:48
I'm thinking of getting a gigablue 800and quad. Can anyone tell me what the remote/IR sensor is like, especially in relation to a vu duo which i currently have. I use a logitech harmony remote and i have the vu duo box completely out of line of sight but i am still able to change channels without any problems.

My question, is it possible to change channels etc. via remote without direct line of sight on the 800? How does it relate to the vu duo in terms of sensitivity and IR pickup?

Thanks

bmitie
07-10-12, 11:20
sonna did it arrive and what do you think of it?

sonna
08-10-12, 10:29
sonna did it arrive and what do you think of it?

Hello mate. It took a huge amount of bother to get it all up and running. It kept crashing all of the time on random screens so ended up flashing it in the end.

Still get a couple of crashes now and again but not as frequent as before. Not sure if this is due to the box itself or with firmware.

I'm not 100% satisfied at the moment... but for what it does I guess I can't grumble too much eh.

Sicilian
08-10-12, 10:37
Hello mate. It took a huge amount of bother to get it all up and running. It kept crashing all of the time on random screens so ended up flashing it in the end.

Still get a couple of crashes now and again but not as frequent as before. Not sure if this is due to the box itself or with firmware.

I'm not 100% satisfied at the moment... but for what it does I guess I can't grumble too much eh.

Perheps you should post what you where doing when it crashed and the crashlogs. I've got both SE & UE and no such issues. Could be user error?

bassethound
08-10-12, 10:37
I have a couple of boxes set up with Vix for the last couple of weeks and not had one crash yet both running on latest update

if you can please send your crash logs so we can see why your box is crashing

sonna
08-10-12, 10:40
Ha deffo not loser error. I'm at work at the moment so can't post the logs just yet.

One recent example was 1channel crashed (or could have been vix) after trying to play a movie. Came up with a log screen etc...

Before it was completely random. Didn't matter what screen you went onto. I'll try and post the logs later on for you.

Sicilian
08-10-12, 10:47
Ha deffo not loser error. I'm at work at the moment so can't post the logs just yet.

One recent example was 1channel crashed (or could have been vix) after trying to play a movie. Came up with a log screen etc...

Before it was completely random. Didn't matter what screen you went onto. I'll try and post the logs later on for you.

Thats a 3rd party plugin, not developed by ViX.

What other plugins have you installed?

sonna
08-10-12, 11:27
Apart from that, autobouquets (?). It would crash on menu screens before. Thankfully since the box was re-flashed, its not been as frequent.

Anyway, I'll post the error log when I get the chance. It might be useful (or not!).

Sicilian
08-10-12, 11:28
Apart from that, autobouquets (?). It would crash on menu screens before. Thankfully since the box was re-flashed, its not been as frequent.

Anyway, I'll post the error log when I get the chance. It might be useful (or not!).

That could have been down to the image build or plugin build. If you get these sorts of crashes please post in ViX Support centre with the relevant crash log.

Larry-G
08-10-12, 12:02

as pointed out thirdparty plugins may or may not be compatible with the image, this is not a image problem but something the plugins author needs to fix. also it is a very well known problem with 1channel that it will cause a crash if it cant find the server for the video/ tv show its looking for.

sonna
08-10-12, 13:28
Thats fine. Wasn't pointing full blame at ViX. Thanks for all your help :thumbsup:

Larry-G
08-10-12, 13:32
Thats fine. Wasn't pointing full blame at ViX. Thanks for all your help :thumbsup:

I know and i was not suggesting that was what you were doing. I was just pointing out that we cant always be held accountable for what users introduce into the image, especially when those plugins them selves are the reason for the instabilities.

jimmyjoe
24-11-12, 15:09
what is the chances of getting a gigablue 800se with a t2 tuner?.... noticed a combo on sale now... due for delivery 1 dec but it is not a T2 tuner.... kind of torn between the alien2 and the gigablue... sounds like the alien doesnt have greats OSs but i need a T2 for freeview and saorview

jimmyjoe
26-11-12, 21:29
no takers?

Mr. Mister
26-11-12, 21:34
You looking for a twin tuner box.. ??

Is that what your asking.. ?

Stanman
26-11-12, 22:24
No idea if it will have a T2 tuner, your best bet is to email the manufacturer direct as only they can answer conclusively, anything else is speculation.

jimmyjoe
26-11-12, 22:38
No idea if it will have a T2 tuner, your best bet is to email the manufacturer direct as only they can answer conclusively, anything else is speculation.

thank you... i have mailed WOS shop to ask about the gigablue.... dont really want to go for the alien but may be only option

Wizard55
27-11-12, 21:23
I am also looking at the gigablue ue, or the alien, or the technomate twin. any pro/cons i should look at.

Thanks

Stanman
28-11-12, 10:17
The twin is the better of the three boxes, better specs and to two tuners, alien is ok but not as versatile as he other two.

Sicilian
28-11-12, 14:27
I am also looking at the gigablue ue, or the alien, or the technomate twin. any pro/cons i should look at.

Thanks

If your looking for Twin Satellite tuner go with the TM-Twin-OE :)

Wizard55
28-11-12, 18:34
If i am paying for the twin, would the gigablue quad be a better buy to future proof, or is the twin old technogoly now

If your looking for Twin Satellite tuner go with the TM-Twin-OE :)

josh_g
28-11-12, 19:45
there are still a few kinks on the quad and runs on the old kernal... i went for the TM-twin and am more than happy with it

Mr. Mister
28-11-12, 19:51
Thats true.. The twin is an excellent box..

But.. The Quad is a brand new box Only weeks old.. and is being developed every day..

I got 2 Quads.. and although they are running on the old kernel.. I would not swap them for any other box..

It wont be too long before the Quad has caught up with all the other boxes.. and has the kernel updated..

when that happens.. There will be no better box.. IMO..

Sicilian
28-11-12, 19:54
If i am paying for the twin, would the gigablue quad be a better buy to future proof, or is the twin old technogoly now

I wouldn't call it old technology. Yes true its not got the latest CPU as the Quad, but it works and does a good job. For the current price its great.

Larry-G
29-11-12, 08:02
I wouldn't call it old technology. Yes true its not got the latest CPU as the Quad, but it works and does a good job. For the current price its great.

For the price the twin is a solid receiver which has come along in leaps and bounds lately. It also has more flash available than the duo which gives it a slight edge when used with memory hungry plugins and processes.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2