PDA

View Full Version : Dreambox dm500-c Connecting To a DUO ?????

mrmad1966
26-08-12, 11:41
Hi
I have seen a thread where one of our users had a DUO downstairs & he was looking to put a cheap second box in the bedroom so he could connect to his duo to view/control content on it.

I have been offered a Dreambox dm500-c but I don't have enough experience to know if this would be suitable to achieve the same objective... Love some advice please !

Thanks To U All.....

basilyoung
26-08-12, 12:03
db 500 c thats a cable based unit rather tha the S

so not sure you can use it for the purpose you are asking, but you can simply stream from the unit, to a lappy, and control it via the web interface, whilst watching another channel on the unit

Larry-G
26-08-12, 12:26
I have a Uno downstairs hooked upto the main TV and the rest of my boxes in my man cave. any hoo at the moment ( just waiting to get another octo lnb for the second sky dish to put another two feeds into the living room ) i have the uno hooked up to my network streaming channels directly from my ultimo ( no satellite feed into the uno at present for the above reason ). This method basically allows the uno to borrow one of the tuners from the ultimo remotly hence the name of the plugin remotestreamconvert.

This is a excellent plugin allowing you to stream channels directly to another E2 receiver without the second receiver even needing a satellite feed to receive the channels as there streamed directly via my network.

I dont think it would work from a E2 box to a E1 box though, but i could be wrong.

mrmad1966
26-08-12, 12:37
db 500 c thats a cable based unit rather tha the S

so not sure you can use it for the purpose you are asking, but you can simply stream from the unit, to a lappy, and control it via the web interface, whilst watching another channel on the unit

Thanks, REALLY want to avoid lugging laptops around though ...

mrmad1966
26-08-12, 12:44
I have a Uno downstairs hooked upto the main TV and the rest of my boxes in my man cave. any hoo at the moment ( just waiting to get another octo lnb for the second sky dish to put another two feeds into the living room ) i have the uno hooked up to my network streaming channels directly from my ultimo ( no satellite feed into the uno at present for the above reason ). This method basically allows the uno to borrow one of the tuners from the ultimo remotly hence the name of the plugin remotestreamconvert.

This is a excellent plugin allowing you to stream channels directly to another E2 receiver without the second receiver even needing a satellite feed to receive the channels as there streamed directly via my network.

I dont think it would work from a E2 box to a E1 box though, but i could be wrong.

OK...great info thanks, so from this I now know it needs to be a cheap E2 box to suit my requirements, can you tell me a couple more things. If I purchase another cheap E2 box (anyone's thoughts on the best cheap one would be a great help !) But if I use the plugin you suggest, I am assuming I would only need an ethernet connection or would I also need another feed from the dish ? would I be able to watch one channel on this second box whilst another channel is viewed downstairs ????

Thanks for your time, and suggestions..

Larry-G
26-08-12, 12:50
for example you could have a solo downstairs and the duo upstairs.

the solo would not need a satellite feed to receive the streamed channels from the duo but it would need to be hooked up to your network. when viewing one of the streamed channels on the solo it would occupy a tuner from the duo, meaning that you could still use the other tuner on the duo but would not be able to record one / watch one while the solo was streaming a channel. the good thing though is the solo can record what ever is being streamed and has full access the the epg of the streamed channel.

personally i would still add a feed to the solo so that you can still watch FTA channels when not streaming from the Duo.

Stanman
26-08-12, 14:29
OK...great info thanks, so from this I now know it needs to be a cheap E2 box to suit my requirements, can you tell me a couple more things. If I purchase another cheap E2 box (anyone's thoughts on the best cheap one would be a great help !) But if I use the plugin you suggest, I am assuming I would only need an ethernet connection or would I also need another feed from the dish ? would I be able to watch one channel on this second box whilst another channel is viewed downstairs ????

Thanks for your time, and suggestions..

Just a word of caution cheap is not always the best route!! In this hobby image and support is everything and your better of paying extra if needed to buy a well supported box.

At the moment both the solo and duo are good prices

Larry-G
26-08-12, 14:32
I agree with stanman, you dont want to go buying a receiver just because it's cheap. make sure it has a decent level of support first.

mrmad1966
26-08-12, 14:43
Really good advice guys, thank you...