PDA

View Full Version : New Receiver

Craigyboy
26-08-12, 09:30
Hi all,

I am looking to purchase a new receiver from the sponsor to replace my ITGate TGM220. This was a Linux box running EDG-Nemesis and was first class until the sound stopped working.

I also own a Spiderbox7000HD but I much prefered the ITgate to be honest.

I'm looking for an HD Linux type reveiver and so far I am considering the Gigablue HD800SE and the VU+ Solo. I don't really want to spend much more.

The gigablue looks good as I think i can also connect up my cable feed and get rid of my cable box if I get it with both tuners? I think it is also well supported and 3d ready.

The VU+ seems to be a very popular receiver on here though?

Any advice from those who have used either or both would be most welcome. I'm also open to alternatives.

Thanks in advance for your help,

Craigyboy.

Sicilian
26-08-12, 09:49
I've used both, in actual usuage you will not see a difference between the Solo and the Giga HD800SE and as you say, you have the added option of adding the hybird dvb-c/t tuner.

Dont forget your forum members discount here http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?12662-%A35-discount-off-any-satellite-receiver-we-stock-to-forum-members-only!&p=91591#post91591

Craigyboy
26-08-12, 18:06
I know receivers can playback media from a directly connected external HDD. Can they play files from a NAS?

basilyoung
26-08-12, 18:09
I know receivers can playback media from a directly connected external HDD. Can they play files from a NAS?

yes it can....plenty of info on the forum on how to

judge
26-08-12, 18:09

Yes you can.

Craigyboy
15-09-12, 10:37
Thanks for all the help so far folks. Opted for the Vu+ Solo and very pleased with it so far.

I have been scouring the forum for an idiots guide to mounting my NAS but have come up short. I have a Dlink NAS and it is visible from all laptops and PS3 without having set up any accounts etc but I have no idea how to mount it in the Solo.

It is visble in network browser but with no access other than showing the name. I've tried manually setting it up in mounts management but with no luck.

Can anyone help or point me to a guide please?