PDA

View Full Version : fastfwd/rewind issue !

mrmad1966
22-08-12, 14:01
Folks I have an existing Samba server on my home network with hundreds of movies on.. The network is 100 Mb and the movies play fine however, they do not ff or rw correctly. When pressing the relevant remote control button eg fastforward, even at x128 the movie only 'jumps' a couple of seconds at a time.

Just looking for others thoughts. A limitation of network bandwidth, or possibly a SATA limitation? (I don't think this as the local SATA drive installed is just fine !)

What do you lot think ?
---------------------------

PS If the forum user Bowz is reading this ITS NOT USER ERROR :-)

sivhead
22-08-12, 14:26
Is the case for all movies. Couple of questions 1) how are the movies encoded (what are the file extenstions). 2) What image do you have installed on your VuDuo. Are you using any plugins to play the movies ?

mrmad1966
22-08-12, 15:04
Hi
Mp4 and avi, on Vix 2.4.
No third party plugins..

Thanks

Rob van der Does
22-08-12, 15:06
Is the case for all movies. Couple of questions 1) how are the movies encoded (what are the file extenstions). 2) What image do you have installed on your VuDuo. Are you using any plugins to play the movies ?
Good questions. Most of the times it's the encoding of the files, that is not done correct (i.e. not fully supported by the box). But indeed: using plugins for playback can also cause this.

Best option is to re-encode the files (use h264) and not to use any playback/MM-centre plugins (they are not needed).

pooface
22-08-12, 15:24
As a first test, can you try copying the file over to a internal USB or HDD? This will allow you to see whether there are any problems at all when using the file itself. If so, then it looks likely to be the file encoding. If it works ok, then it's likely to be network or samba issues...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

sivhead
22-08-12, 15:26
If you copy one of the files to your local VU Duo hard disk and play locally does the ffw and rw bug still occur. ( I remember I used to get this but have not seen it for a while a driver update fixed it for me if I recall.)

can you do the above test. At least it will rule out the Samba Server / network issues if you still get the error.

just finished posting and we have posted the same message you beat me to it haha .....

mrmad1966
22-08-12, 15:43
OK.. UPDATE
Copied over to DUO, same issue, seems to be with virtually ALL movies so encoding issue looks to be the culprit so far. I have literally hundreds of films that are mp4, is it logical to think ALL of them are encoded incorrectly ?

Thanks for replies so far folks..

mrmad1966
22-08-12, 16:05
Im about to encode a file to H264 to further test. Are there any links out there (that anyone knows of) that gives info on the DUOs encodeing MP4 spec ???
Thanks

mrmad1966
22-08-12, 16:21
Final update.. Copied recorded .ts file from DUO over network to file server, played ff & rw perfect. Now to find the perfect h264 settings for AME.
Thanks to all for the help..
John

Rob van der Does
22-08-12, 16:29
OK.. UPDATE
Copied over to DUO, same issue, seems to be with virtually ALL movies so encoding issue looks to be the culprit so far. I have literally hundreds of films that are mp4, is it logical to think ALL of them are encoded incorrectly ?
Well, with files 'found' on the internet this is a common issue. Nobody seems to care about encoding settings. And remember: a STB is not a real MM-player, as all decoding has to be done in hardware.

mrmad1966
22-08-12, 16:32
Well, with files 'found' on the internet this is a common issue. Nobody seems to care about encoding settings. And remember: a STB is not a real MM-player, as all decoding has to be done in hardware.

Thank you Rob.. Understood.

mrmad1966
24-08-12, 15:29
Wonder if anyone could assist me. I use Adobe's Media Encoder everyday as part of my line of work and need some settings to create a preset that I can use to encode the recordings I currently have on the DUO's hard drive.

Does anyone have have a third party file/movie etc that plays, and fast-forwards correctly (ie x128 works perfect), if so if they would be prepared to either Gpot the file of some other way of sending me some info on that file s encoded settings I'd really appreciate it....
Thank you