PDA

View Full Version : Skybox f3 or Eagle Box HD800? or similar model to buy under £100

djdyna123
19-08-12, 14:06
Hello all, wanting some advice please.

I'm after buying a Receiver but need help in choosing one that has good support and not likely to let me down.
My brother has a DM800, which has treated him well for a long time and rarely hits a snag.

I know some people prefer "Open Source" firmware receivers, but lets be honest most don't require that, as-long as you get patches every now and then, fantastic!.

I would like the receiver to have at-least the option of:
Support newcmd/mgcamd
HD 1080p/i
Optical output (Dolby Digital 5.1)
USB Media Playback.

I live in a area where i get 100% signal simply by just having my Sky Digi dish at about 5 foot in the air . Although iv'e got it bolted in at about 12 foot on the brickwork.

Once I get a dreambox and it's working all hunky dory I will go out and purchase a motorized dish, the same or similar to what my brother uses.

So please, if you have any good advice on which are good receivers that are worth purchasing, then let me know.
Please don't just come out with "I herd this Cryptobox is good" etc... thanx!

From my understanding I can get a Skybox F3 or Eaglebox HD800 for just under £50 on ebay, which do you think is the better receiver and why?
Do any of you have any info on how decent the USB Media playback is for video, HD content, H.264 MKV's etc.
What about PVR recording to a USB drive.

later in the year I may get a better receiver if need be.

Sicilian
19-08-12, 16:04
Take a look at the new Ferguson Ariva 1080p HD receivers from sponsor http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Digital-Satellite-Receivers/Ferguson-Digital-Ariva-HD-Receivers

Sections on the forum about them.