PDA

View Full Version : Solar panels

pooface
16-08-12, 22:38
Hey guys. So, as per topic, what are peoples thoughts on solar panels?

Been looking in to this for a little while, just as a "looks like it might be worthwhile", b=it not going any further. Anyway, had a couple of people around to give quotes, and just wondering whether it's worth going ahead with it.

Now, if we're going to go ahead with it, we need to really get it installed by the end of this month, as don't wanna miss out on the FIT even more :p. But, one problem that the missus has with the thinking on this, is that most of the usage we make on electricity is in the evening, and so we won't get much of a benefit from it. I kind of agree, but it just means we need to make a lot of changes, such as using washing machine, tumble dishwasher etc during day time. However, one problem to that is that our appliances would be a nightmare to fit timer sockets to (not even sure the washing machine would work on a timer with the way you start it), and since we work all day, wouldn't be likely to make full benefit outside of work (especially in the winter months).

So, have any members here gone ahead and had them installed? How much has it reduced your electricity bills? Are you making as much electricity as expected? Is it working out as planned, or just not worth it in your opinion. it's just a shame to be making so much electricity and selling it back to the utility company, to then buy it back in the evening at 3 times the rate...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Rob van der Does
17-08-12, 05:32
But, one problem that the missus has with the thinking on this, is that most of the usage we make on electricity is in the evening, and so we won't get much of a benefit from it. I kind of agree, but it just means we need to make a lot of changes, such as using washing machine.........
It would be very unlikely that a private solar installation would be powerful enough to feed your washing machine.

it's just a shame to be making so much electricity and selling it back to the utility company, to then buy it back in the evening at 3 times the rate......
I have no idea about the rates in the UK, but indeed: that's how it works. And I can't say that's wrong: after all your electricity company has to take care of all the infrastructure and to take into account all the electricity that's being generated by private party's.......

The only way to overcome both issues, is to install an autonomous installation: powerful solar panels, covering your total consumption (also in wintertime), batteries to accumulate the electricity and converters to make 230V~ out of the 12V= batteries.
Not sure though if you want to spend that amount of money :confused:

pooface
17-08-12, 07:05
It would be very unlikely that a private solar installation would be powerful enough to feed your washing machine.

I dunno, but a lot of people I spoke to and posts I read, said it does cover... Just that you can't have too much running at one time, e.g. wedding machine, dishwasher etc...

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio using Tapatalk 2

Sicilian
17-08-12, 07:22
Ie.g. wedding machine,

You aint planning a wedding are you? :p

Rob van der Does
17-08-12, 07:37
.... e.g. wedding machine....

And even using a machine for the wedding :whistle:

pooface
17-08-12, 07:37

Didn't you know. I do it as a side job... Get the bride and groom, dive then through a machine and they're married. Hehe

Rob van der Does
17-08-12, 07:52
Didn't you know. I do it as a side job...
So that will pay for a powerful solar system then?

Looks like a perpetuum mobile then: the wedding machine bringing in enough money to let it run forever :D

hummer66
17-08-12, 08:21
Hi Pooface
I Installed a 4kw system in November.... best thing I’ve done to date.:thumbsup:

mcquaim
17-08-12, 09:25
Hi pooface, we got solar panels installed here in Ireland by a crowd called Activ8 but they are only for heating water!

When the weather is good they are brilliant but this summer they aren't that effective cos weather been brutal. Normally though, they work well and we always have hot water!!

pooface
17-08-12, 10:27
Thanks for all the info guys...

Now, to run those figures passed swmbo and see what she has to say :p

Stanman
17-08-12, 21:51
One thing to be careful of is that the panels are German made and not the Chinese as they are inferior and less efficient.

cactikid
17-08-12, 22:15
i also got the solar panels in but for water heating and by activ8 my problem was i got it mounted above roof tiles as they were bonded underneath for heat retention,got 5 buckets in attic catching water lol and they were out last week to lift and replace a few tiles and mastic gun lol.:mad:have plenty of spare tiles as with all old roofs they are brittle.think i saw a program last year with a load of terraced houses got the panels and was selling it back to the grid:thumbsup:any saving is good as prices are only going up.