PDA

View Full Version : Green round the gills

Benzino
15-08-12, 23:13
Hi guys

First post, I am as green round the gills as they get so bear with me.

I have done my research and am convinced vu+ duo is the way forward just about to hit the order button and little guy inside my head says hold on :

Get the vu+ duo with terrabyte base option check

Wifi option .....what for???

Home networking option.....really???

Firmware option...from what I read vix ...check

USB flash drive option...okay now I'm in the weeds call for help

Do I need motorised dish.??? I don't watch opera, French cooking or Dutch log throwing EPL please

Do I need shard caring you get my drift

I am a simple man too simple who could use some answers please

Humbly

Stanman
15-08-12, 23:22
WIFI is only an option if you dont have an RJ45 point where the box is going or you have selected the homeplug route, personally either hardwired to the router or homeplug.

You should have a USB to store PICON on if you want them, EPG and logs etc.

as for CS, sorry no can do on this forum as per rule 3A

Benzino
15-08-12, 23:25
Totally understand and thanks a lot for the quick lesson, I will be more observant of durum rules from now on.

Guess I can order now what's your thought on motor dish in the first instance

basilyoung
15-08-12, 23:25
Hi guys

First post, I am as green round the gills as they get so bear with me.

I have done my research and am convinced vu+ duo is the way forward just about to hit the order button and little guy inside my head says hold on :

Get the vu+ duo with terrabyte base option check

Wifi option .....what for???

Home networking option.....really???

Firmware option...from what I read vix ...check

USB flash drive option...okay now I'm in the weeds call for help

Do I need motorised dish.??? I don't watch opera, French cooking or Dutch log throwing EPL please

Do I need shard caring you get my drift

I am a simple man too simple who could use some answers please

Humbly

terrabyte base...think you mean Hard drive pre installed, handy for recording etc

regards to wi fi option/home networking, not sure what you mean, simply, the unit can use the internet via a few simple options
firmware, I think you mean image options, ie, VIX/PLI = operating system, which uses the basic system of the unit, a bit like windows

usb flash drives are handy for epg etc

motorized dish is a matter of chioce

card share, how ever you ask the question will be dealt with via the forum rules

but hope my reply helps you, and hope you enjoy the site

judge
15-08-12, 23:29
No worries, we all started out as newbies...
1) Get the vu+ duo with terrabyte base option check - If you want to store recordings, you need some kind of hard drive.
2) Wifi option .....what for??? - It's basically a computer but works better for some functions, such as decoding satellite feeds. If you have other computers/laptops/mobile devices on a home network, WIFI is super handy to keep them all on the same network. However, it does have a connection for hard wiring, so if you're going to sit the box by your router, you probably don't need this option.
3) Home networking option.....really??? - same as above. Not needed if box sits within cable distance of router, but handy if you don't have the wireless option.
4) Firmware option...from what I read vix ...check - VIX, but I am biased...
5) USB flash drive option...okay now I'm in the weeds call for help - Handy for storing picons (channel logos) & EPG but you probably have one around the house?
6) Do I need motorised dish.??? I don't watch opera, French cooking or Dutch log throwing EPL please - You only need a motorised dish if you want to watch satellite channels not available on your current dish.
7) Do I need shard caring you get my drift - Nobody needs card sharing.

Benzino
15-08-12, 23:40
I must say quick google leads to this site for the best help and knowledgable pple. I am impressed and hope to keep I touch, on the motorised dish option, bearing in mind this is quite a tricky install what size is advisable

basilyoung
15-08-12, 23:45
dish size is simple, bigger the better
it depends on where you are based, and what sats you want to see, as a rule, in the uk, a 1 mtr dish is ok, ( as is 80/90cm )

Stanman
15-08-12, 23:45
Size depends on where you live and what you want, but as a rule I would say if you want the widest choice than a 1M should be fine - allow for bad weather tolerance as well.

Drop the sponsor a PM and he will sort you out, dont forget the £5 forum member discount.

Benzino
15-08-12, 23:55
I think my package is now almost complete, still don't get the picon and epg. What do they give me?

Also how do I drop the sponsor a pm

Sorry guys

basilyoung
15-08-12, 23:59
epg...electronic programe guide
picon... small on screen logo of the channel you are or will be watching

judge
16-08-12, 00:01
Picon = Channel Logos, shows up in various EPG screens.
EPG = Electronic program guide, lets you see whats on now, next, later & so on...
Sponsor = PM here (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/member.php?1447-world-of-satellite-co-uk)

Benzino
16-08-12, 00:02
Excellent, thanks again guys I think I'm good to go. Appreciate the help !

Larry-G
16-08-12, 00:05
I think my package is now almost complete, still don't get the picon and epg. What do they give me?

Also how do I drop the sponsor a pm

Sorry guys

EPG = electronic program guide.
basically it's your 7 day TV guide. as a rule most people recomend that you use a USB stick to store this data which is what i do my self, although storing it on the HDD would work too.

Picons = program icons that sit in the epg and on the info bar ( if you have them installed ). there basically a small icon that shows the logo of the channel your watching etc. again most would recommend these be stored on a USB stick as if there on the HDD it will constantly spin up every time you change channel. you can of course store picons on the internal flash of the receiver if you wish as thats also safe to use.