PDA

View Full Version : VU+Solo Firmware Choice

kingcreedo
15-08-12, 18:40
Dear Mods:)

I am thinking of purchasing a VU+Solo with wireless adapter from the sponsor, but there are 4 choices of firmware:

Official VU+
Vix Team
Blackhole
VTI

What are the main differences if any between these firmware images? Will they all support the wireless adapter? Does each image patch support cccam?

Cheers,

Graham:D:D

Sicilian
15-08-12, 19:50
Official VU+ plain and boring, will take some work to get CCcam running.
ViX Team, well what can I say as I'm biased, THE BEST!! :D
Blackhole would be my second choice and VTi my third.

Order with ViX Team, you can easily flash and try images later. ViX image 100% support the VU+ dongle.

kingcreedo
15-08-12, 20:42
Thanks a mil Sicilian, that's cleared the muddy waters:D

cactikid
15-08-12, 22:27
would it be right also to mention that all images vary in size and what they may do,and if you just want simple then the vix:confused:

Stanman
15-08-12, 22:31
would it be right also to mention that all images vary in size and what they may do,and if you just want simple then the vix:confused:

I would hardly call VIX a simple image, am sure its not what you meant!!

Obviously I am biased and will recommend VIX but in your case, give it a try, set everything up,m back up your settings and images and than try the other images, its quick and easy and also a good learning exercise. After that settle on the one that YOU prefer and I will bet you will come back to VIX;)

Images do not vary greatly in size, perhaps a MB here or there but nothing significant

Larry-G
15-08-12, 22:41
Images do not vary greatly in size, perhaps a MB here or there but nothing significant

That depends on whats included as standard in the images. for example the latest ViX images are substantially smaller than most other images due to the removal of many network plugins during the ViX 2.4 image cycle. also look for example at the BH images which tend to be very very large in the case of the ultimo image as much as 30 meg difference in cases and often more.

Stanman
15-08-12, 22:46
In these days of terrabyte storage whats 30MB;)

Larry-G
15-08-12, 22:50

quite a considerable amount when your talking about the internal flash of a receiver that has a few hundred meg of space to play with.

cactikid
16-08-12, 00:07
i like to use my solo for viewing the hdd of my duo and with the previous image was much harder to do,will the new image [vix]be any different:eek::confused:i have black hole on an inferior e2 box and dont like it as no support or bugs lol.

judge
16-08-12, 00:09
i like to use my solo for viewing the hdd of my duo and with the previous image was much harder to do,will the new image [vix]be any different:eek::confused:i have black hole on an inferior e2 box and dont like it as no support or bugs lol.
I use a Solo to view recordings on a DUO quite a lot, what issues are you having?

Larry-G
16-08-12, 00:15

it's easy enough to setup. i have all of my receivers networked to each other and a nas. so on any of them i can access not only it's own HDD but the HDD's of both other boxes and a NAS on the same network.

Rob van der Does
16-08-12, 05:34

quite a considerable amount when your talking about the internal flash of a receiver that has a few hundred meg of space to play with.
.....and hence in the time it takes to flash and to make backups.

But even more important: the number of resources in use by a very large image will probably be substantially higher. The latter was the main reason for ViX to delete a number of functionalities from the default image. Now everybody can just install what he really needs, without overloading the box.

cactikid
16-08-12, 12:05
the older vix i could click media player and choose from the list,now i am fairly sure i never set up a network mount,but i could use the network browser to refresh the list and to select it to play the movies,sd were ok to view hd it was stop start,in the process of running a lan cable into the box as home plugs and surge strip maybe the problem with that.
so the question is in the past could i have accessed the duo without a mount installed? and if not and not remembering getting installed that was why i had recent problems trying and getting nowhere,and when it did get mounted then i could:confused::o cheers lads.

cactikid
17-08-12, 12:35
quick update removed the home plug and used the lan cable,:eek:how quick the epg updates and loads,also had 5 mins of viewing duo from solo :thumbsup:no glitching:)one little step at a time