PDA

View Full Version : Anyone know a simple way of cloning a windows 7 partition drive to a smaller SSD?

Sicilian
11-08-12, 17:24
As the title guys, anyone know a simple way of cloning a windows 7 partition drive to a smaller SSD?

Larry-G
11-08-12, 17:56
have you tried clonezilla ?

Sicilian
11-08-12, 17:58
have you tried clonezilla ?

Not yet, but dont think it re-sizes.

Larry-G
11-08-12, 18:02
Not yet, but dont think it re-sizes.

I have not used clonezilla in a long time but it should be able to let you create a clone of one HDD to another providing there is enough space on the target drive.

I could be wrong though.

belierzz
11-08-12, 18:12
Using the backup feature of Windows 7 works very well. Did this from a 5ooGB HDD to a 128MB SSD via backup on external USB-HDD. Tried with Clonezilla before and it in fact doesn't resize.

You just have to change some system settings after change to SSD or use e.g. Samsung SSD Magician (e.g. disable defragmentation)

Sicilian
11-08-12, 18:18
Using the backup feature of Windows 7 works very well. Did this from a 5ooGB HDD to a 128MB SSD via backup on external USB-HDD. Tried with Clonezilla before and it in fact doesn't resize.

You just have to change some system settings after change to SSD or use e.g. Samsung SSD Magician (e.g. disable defragmentation)

Does the backup drive automatically become bootable?

belierzz
11-08-12, 18:27
Yes, it in fact clones the source drive. May be you have to adjust settings in bios (e.g. boot drive order) as youu will have to use a windows system disk as boot CD in between.

pooface
11-08-12, 18:41
I use Symantec ghost for this sort of job. Allows you to clone one drive to another. Remind me on mondaynif your still needing help, and I'll help you thru it. Send me a pm or catch me 0n sky[e if I'm online...

Really simple and will only take ab0ut an hour or so depending on how much data there is to transmit...

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Sicilian
12-08-12, 06:36
Finally managed to get this done.

Symantect ghost kept failing due to the desitnation drive beign smaller then my existing partion, even windows was only actually using approx 70GB.

In the end did as follows: -

Resized the windows partition using Gparted to 200GB.
Rebooted into windows and used Symantec Ghost to clone and selected use all space.
On reboot after clone, drive would not boot, used windows dish to do a system repair, after that all working.

Got to admit, speed difference with SSD is amazing.

Got a Symantec guide here incase anyone wants.

pooface
12-08-12, 06:40
That's Norton ghost by file man me, not Symantec. I was talking about using the corporate version. When you come with it, it asks you what size you want the destination drive.wouldn't use Norton myself, usually rubbish :p Glad you're sorted tho, but reminds me next time you see me, and I'll sort you out ready for next time you wanna do something like that ;)

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio using Tapatalk 2

Sicilian
12-08-12, 08:43
This was well worth all the hassle, PC running well fast now :zoom:

Got Sandisk SSD 240GB http://www.scan.co.uk/products/240gb-sandisk-extreme-25-ssd-sata-iii-6gb-s-read-550mb-s-write-520mb-s-83000-iops-max connected with proper SATA 6GB leads and another 1TB Seagate Barracuda SATA 6GB for storing my data, again connected with proper SATA 6GB lead. System is running superb. I've kept my old HDD intact incase anything for wrong or something have copied across correctly.

twol
12-08-12, 15:44
This was well worth all the hassle, PC running well fast now :zoom:

Got Sandisk SSD 240GB http://www.scan.co.uk/products/240gb-sandisk-extreme-25-ssd-sata-iii-6gb-s-read-550mb-s-write-520mb-s-83000-iops-max connected with proper SATA 6GB leads and another 1TB Seagate Barracuda SATA 6GB for storing my data, again connected with proper SATA 6GB lead. System is running superb. I've kept my old HDD intact incase anything for wrong or something have copied across correctly.
For anyone wanting to install an SSD, there is a super (free) guide just google Lifehacker and The Complete Guide to Solid-State Drives, it shows just how to do it, and the various options

Sicilian
12-08-12, 22:02
After a day of using this SSD I've found it feels sort of weird not hearing a HDD churning away any more lol!

twol
13-08-12, 12:05
.. but when at last Windows works almost as good as a MAC ;), why would you go win8 and the delights of Metro tiles (or whatever they now have to call it)