PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Duo] crashes on bootup?

johndigital
31-07-12, 21:21
whilst using a usb in front slot, thinking it was clean, caused a crash, now box starts to boot and then green screens. tried to reflash and it wont. any ideas?

basilyoung
31-07-12, 22:37
try reloading the drivers, and then reload latest vix image

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?14236-Vu-Duo-ViX-2-3-%28Linux-3-1-1%29-Image-Release-s

johndigital
31-07-12, 22:49
Pardon my ignorance but drivers?

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

johndigital
31-07-12, 22:51
Just read link. Will go to laptop and try. Cheers

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

basilyoung
31-07-12, 23:28
good luck, we are here to help, so please let us know how you get on

johndigital
01-08-12, 00:26
downloded cfe and unzipped then onto formatted usb, switched box off, inserted usb, it said reading usb for about half a second, changed to starting then eventually crashed green screen, downloaded image, onto formatted usb, box off, usb in power on, says reading usb for about half a second, then starting then crashes and green screen.

basilyoung
01-08-12, 20:52
The driver file is a very fast upload to the unit, so not surprised at the times posted

however, unless you left the driver file on the usb, or failed to copy the image files correctly, its beginning to sound a bit suspect

where did you get the unit from??

johndigital
01-08-12, 21:45
its about a year old from drstrading.
I try drivers again then format usb then try latest vix
cheers

basilyoung
01-08-12, 21:58
just checked them out, and think your unit is a genuine unit, rather than a clone, as DRS looks like an ok outfit

so its likely the issues are most likely software

johndigital
01-08-12, 22:44
now not getting anything from scart or hdmi

basilyoung
01-08-12, 22:56
so what have you done so far?

loaded the new drivers? was there a interface screen message asking you to restart the unit?

them]n you loaded the vix image, ?? ( should take a few minutes ) then a message to restart unit ?

if yes to both of the above,

try leaving the unit switched off for 15 mis or so, then restart,

with out seeing the unit first hand, its difficult to see where you are going wrong, and thats if you have done any thing wrong

Larry-G
01-08-12, 23:07
downloded cfe and unzipped then onto formatted usb, switched box off, inserted usb, it said reading usb for about half a second, changed to starting then eventually crashed green screen, downloaded image, onto formatted usb, box off, usb in power on, says reading usb for about half a second, then starting then crashes and green screen.

It does not look like the bootloader flashed to the receiver because if it did you would get a message on the VFD of the receiver telling you to remove the USB stick and reboot. Try another USB stick. and start from the beginning.

Flash the bootloader making sure that no other USB devices are attached to the receiver. Then once you see the message telling you to remove USB and reboot, Flash the image.

keep us informed on your progress so we can help where possible.

johndigital
01-08-12, 23:18
when I flashed the drivers got message to remove usb, so switched electric off and removed usb, formatted it and put latest image on it, (unzipped), inserted usb and turned electric on, it briefly said starting, then reading usb and after a few minutes it said finished, so I switched electric off and then removed usb. then powered on and now nothing from scart , hdmi and says starting in display.

basilyoung
01-08-12, 23:23
that sounds like the image did,nt load

on the usb, you should have a single folder, VU+ ( i think ) within the folder, there should be a series of files ( 3 I think )

is this the case?

Larry-G
01-08-12, 23:24
Just to get this strait your flashing the bootloader not the drivers, The drivers are a totally different thing all together, and may be confusing to those who do not know the difference.

also which image are you trying to flash to the receiver after loading the bootloader ?. Maybe try the original Vu image first to see if that one works, then go from there.

johndigital
01-08-12, 23:30
duo_cfe_3_0_usb is the first flash file, is that the bootloader?

johndigital
01-08-12, 23:32
is there a way to factory reset/restore using usb?

Larry-G
01-08-12, 23:34
duo_cfe_3_0_usb is the first flash file, is that the bootloader?

yes the CFE file is the bootloader. you flash that in the same way you would a image, by placing the vuplus folder in which it resides on to a FAT32 formatted USB stick. Then once thats done and you have the prompt on the VFD of the receiver you can try flashing a image.

johndigital
02-08-12, 00:11
put original v7 image and it has now got a image from scart on screen, Im going to take lid off and check cable to hdd as no sound from it, tapped top of box(dont know why) and hdd spun up and vu+ duo came on display as it seemed stuck saying starting, will report back

johndigital
03-08-12, 08:34
right, eventually realised although had unzipped file, when putting onto usb didnt open the folder first, was putting complete folder on, so menu tree was wrong, so reflashed bootloader, reflashed original image, reflashed latest vix and then channel scan, all working, now to sort the ipk etc. cheers for input.