PDA

View Full Version : The receiver dosent boot

odeon
02-09-10, 07:21
I bought a Vu+ Duo two weeks ago, everything was fine until I decided to upgrade to newer image (to original image, I did not flash to other images till now and it was my future map), the image info was:

Enigma: 2010-01-29-master
Image: Release 1.0.0 2010-04-28

I did not attached hard disk or flash memory, the device was nothing attached to it.
What I have done to my Vu+ Duo is that:

I switched the main power off and then on while holding the power button to get an IP like Dream Box 800 a few times(8 or 10) and sometimes run the Dream Control Center=DCC
but no hope to connect with DCC and suddenly the device dosen't come up again.

The device new condition now is :
Red LED is on when I switch the main power on, the display should go to ">Starting..." message on the display like before but it dosent go. I tried to flash to newer image with USB procedure or with Vu+utility and the ethernet & serial port procedure(null modem cable and ethernet cable) but no successes. I see that ethernet LED at the back is blinking during try to flash with serial port and ethernet procedure but no connection with the device. I think the device bootloader is not starting.

can you help.?
is there anyway to get back to the normal condition.?
the device is new and I don't think there will be a hardware problem.

Thank you for your help.

pooface
02-09-10, 07:39
Have you tried turning power off by using the rear power button to turn off power, and then unplug. Leave it unplugged for about 2 minutes, plug power in, and turn on. See what happens...

odeon
02-09-10, 07:48
Yes i did, but same problem.

pooface
02-09-10, 08:34
Another user on here had the problem that it wouldn't come out of the "Starting..." info on the vfd, and had to send their unit back.

I've had it quite often where it just says "Starting..." on the vfd, and will only work when it's been turned of and powered down for a few minutes. But it does usually come back for me.

Might be worth speaking to your reseller and asking them what to do if turning it off completely for a few minutes doesn't do anything...

DrProzac
02-09-10, 09:00
When switching it back on are you still holding down the RED Power Button?

Have you tried switching it all off and unplugging the power cable.
Then switching it on and just leaving it.

As I'm sure holding down the RED Power button will just put it into Deep Standby. (which is why you will only have the red light on at the front)

odeon
02-09-10, 09:15
I did same as your instructions, but same problem again.

DrProzac
02-09-10, 09:17
How long are you leaving it powered off for, and do you get anything displayed of the VFD at all?

odeon
02-09-10, 09:21
I left it for long time for one day and nothing on VFD to display. Only Red led.

odeon
02-09-10, 09:25
I guess the bootloader is failed. How can i initiate the Bootloader in Vu Duo receiver?

DrProzac
02-09-10, 09:44
Sorry to hear that I guess it's going to have to be a return.

pege63
02-09-10, 10:07
I have fixed sevral boxes with that problem on a Dreambox 800 HD, whit "DreamUP_patched_by_forhike_2nd_stage_pack" with a seriel cable.
Then you can flash with a image, i have NOT used it on a Vu Duo+ box, but it can be a good try, i use sevral program for Dreambox with my Vu+Duo.
Try it out you se if it works for you, let us know later.

SLOTH
02-09-10, 10:15
Have you tried just reflashing it with usb ? .... power down un plug everything ...an then insert usb stick with image on , turn power on dont touch any buttons ...!
Sloth

pooface
02-09-10, 11:08
Would recommend to try Sloth's instruction, and wouldn't recommend to use anything related to dm800 bootloaders, as they will have a completely different bootloader than the vu duo...

If it doesn't work, try sending an email to alex at vuplus dot com (putting the correct symbols in instead of the text of course)... Maybe he'll be able to offer some advice. If not, likely to be a return to dealer...

satmanbasil
02-09-10, 13:47
Hi mates

I cannot get my head around why people dont follow the many threads on how to flash images onto the vu+... reading odeon message on how he did his flash bears nothing to the simple instructions given out on many forums. Where the Vu+ maybe like the Dream using enigma 2 thats where the comparison stops so where pressing the red button whilst powering up the receiver comes into play i will never know. If he wanted the box IP had he followed the basic install menu he would come to the IP/network section where a simple input of a static IP address or if leaving dchp checked the router would assign the box its IP.
Ok i must admit that im worried part from using null modem cable with vu+ util prog or usb stick in front port there are not many ways to recover the boot loader, i recall from my kathrein days having to recover the receiver from bad boot loader using tftp prog emergency ub and hyper terminal...this got me out of trouble a number of times, it makes me wonder why no one has come up with something simular for the vu+ .
I hope in the end odeon sorts his problem out maybe boss can tell us where we stand as consumers with regards to bad flashing is it accepted by the manufacturer that users do change images and will accept repairs under warranty or not .

regards
satmanbasil

pooface
02-09-10, 14:02
Thanks for that basil... I hadn't fully read the post correctly this morning, and missed the bit about holding the power button in...

There is no power button on the actual box, so was it the power button on the remote you were pressing in?!

I cannot understand either why you treat this like a dreambox and used dcc?! What does dcc have to do with flashing the box?!

Hopefully, if you put the usb version of the image on to a usb stick and try booting like that, all will be fine... Let's just hope the box will still attempt to read usb (although I doubt it if it only stays with the red light lit)...

What happens if you remove everything from the box (all cards/cams/power cable/lnb/ethernet/usb/hdd etc). Then, plug the usb in to the front usb port with the usb image on for flashing. Then, connect the power cable, and turn the power on?! Will it flash the box like that?!