PDA

View Full Version : I want to split the connection from dish.

samad
27-07-12, 01:52
OK basically lets say I Have two rooms. Room A and Room B.

and I am getting the dish cable inside.

Now I know I can use a LNB with 2 outputs a dual LNB, but I wanted to watch only ONE BOX at a time.

So if I am watching Room A box, then Room B box will be off.

In other words a LNB splitter, where split goes to both A and B , but I only WATCH one box at a time.

I went to a shop, and bought this splitter thing, that has 4 outputs.

Now problem is even if Box A is off and I am watching Box B, it doesnt find all the channels.

Some channels do not come.

So is it because I have to use a specific lnb splitter or what?

Any help will be appreciated.

morashid679
27-07-12, 04:51
Why don't you get a dual or quad lnb and run two cables, one to each box?

Are you using the same card ??

You need to be a but more specific as to why 1 box needs to be off to watch the other.

Rob van der Does
27-07-12, 06:37
Using a splitter in a DVB-S coax is just asking for trouble.
Why not either use a good LNb-setup (as suggested above) or maybe more easy: only use a lan-connection (meaning not using the tune(s) of box B at all.
If you use box B as clientbox for box A you can watch live-TV as well as recordings, as if you were watching box a. I use this setup and it works rather well.

twol
27-07-12, 11:10
Using a splitter in a DVB-S coax is just asking for trouble.
Why not either use a good LNb-setup (as suggested above) or maybe more easy: only use a lan-connection (meaning not using the tune(s) of box B at all.
If you use box B as clientbox for box A you can watch live-TV as well as recordings, as if you were watching box a. I use this setup and it works rather well.
neat, how apart from the lan connection, do you setup the client server relationship?

Rob van der Does
27-07-12, 11:15
1- For watching recordings: use networkbrowser to set the Server-box as mount; than add this mount to recordings-locations. From then on you can watch all recordings the same way as on the server-box;

2- For watching live-TV: use the remotechannelconvert plugin to copy bouquets from the server-box to the client-box; when done those bouquets are added and channels can be watched the normal way.

Having done this, and making sure both boxes are on the same image-version and have the same plugins, you'll notice no difference between using master (in the living?) and client (in the bedroom?). Even when continuing playback of a file it will resume on the position you stopped watching on the other box.

Dave-H
27-07-12, 13:48
OK basically lets say I Have two rooms. Room A and Room B.

and I am getting the dish cable inside.

Now I know I can use a LNB with 2 outputs a dual LNB, but I wanted to watch only ONE BOX at a time.

So if I am watching Room A box, then Room B box will be off.

In other words a LNB splitter, where split goes to both A and B , but I only WATCH one box at a time.

I went to a shop, and bought this splitter thing, that has 4 outputs.

Now problem is even if Box A is off and I am watching Box B, it doesnt find all the channels.

Some channels do not come.

So is it because I have to use a specific lnb splitter or what?

Any help will be appreciated.

If the other solutions suggested aren't an option, and you really only need to use one box at a time then an A/B switch maybe a better option than a splitter (though it will mean needing to manually switch between outputs, depending on which box you're using)

dalep
28-07-12, 01:21
You might need to check your Dish alignment , a 4 output splitter will introduce between 9 and 14dB, that amount of loss might be enough to make some channels drop off.

An AB switch might work, but IMHO, for less than 20 quid, a dual LNB and a cable to each room is a much better solution.

Rob van der Does
28-07-12, 06:46
I prefer the LAN-solution.

dalep
28-07-12, 10:26
I prefer the LAN-solution.

Yep, its a neat solution