PDA

View Full Version : Can I connect an external HDD additional to the internal HDD to VU+ Ultimo

al_madhi
14-07-12, 23:36
Hi, ppl , I purchased a brand new satellite receiver ( UV+ Ultimo ) the dealer installed an internal e-SATA 2Tera HDD inside the receiver , But the technician at the dealer store told me as far there is an internal HDD inside the receiver I can not connect an external HDD at the e-SATA USB port , But there are two USB ports for ordinary HDD used for computers one USB port beside the e-SATA USB port at the back of the receiver and the other one at the front of the receiver . My question to you Can I connect two HDDs one eSATA internally and one externally ordinary HDD at USB port . Or Does this contradict with each other , Please advice .

Best Regards

A.M.AL-MADHI

Maxwell
15-07-12, 06:54
yes you can use another hdd on the USB port, format it as FAT32 first then once attached to the receiver initialise it (can take some considerable time depending on the size of the drive so be very patient). once initialisation is complete reboot and it should mount as /media/usb.

al_madhi
15-07-12, 18:14
yes you can use another hdd on the USB port, format it as FAT32 first then once attached to the receiver initialise it (can take some considerable time depending on the size of the drive so be very patient). once initialisation is complete reboot and it should mount as /media/usb.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks Maxwell for reply and help

You said ( format it as FAT32 first ) but you did not say where to format it through the receiver or through the computer , Because I am asking this question , that the receiver also format the HDD when it hook to it when the HDD is new HDD and asking you before formating all files will be erased and when the formating is finished the HDD is ready for recording on it . What is your respond Please Adivce .

Best Regards

A.M.AL-MADHI

Maxwell
15-07-12, 18:33
The only reason I said format as fat32 first is to make sure it is recognised by the receiver, sometimes they are not, do this on the pc. The receiver will reformat it as EXT4 during the initialisation process and it will be ready for recording afterwards but the default recording path is set to /media/hdd so you will have to tell it to record to /media/usb or set the usb drive to be used as hdd (instead of the internal drive)