PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Duo] 2.4 Crashing on update (to build 191)

reverend
14-07-12, 07:22
Hi folks,

Just performed an update via the VIX menu, i think to build 191 on version 2.4.
The box crashes over and over on reboot. No log file is created in the process, at least not in the usual logs file (which is strangely empty). Looking at the screen dump though, the problem seems to be something like this:

...Autotimer/plugin.py
No module named Autotimer.

I am going to try refllashing back to previous build which i have backed up on a USB stick...

stick50jr
14-07-12, 08:30
Yep, same problem here (going from build 190 to 204); will revert to build 190.

cheers

Tkr001
14-07-12, 08:31
Mine crashes on reboot continuously too. Good thing I backed up first :thumbsup:

hanenyo
14-07-12, 09:40
Mine crashes on reboot continuously too. Good thing I backed up first :thumbsup:

I am experiencing the same issue. Cheers

raj
14-07-12, 12:26
Same here mate . There seems to be a problem with the Autotimer module.

I have also gone back to build 190 but can get to install the samba share module. Maybe its because the feeds are down. Thats the only reason I can think of.

raj
14-07-12, 12:31
Sorry that was can not install the samba share module with build 190

Larry-G
14-07-12, 12:39
Andy is working on a fix now, as to the feeds there tied in with the image, so when a image is set as unstable the feeds for every thing are also set as unstable. That's just the way we do it.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

reverend
14-07-12, 13:18
Andy is working on a fix now

Thanks very much!

Rob van der Does
14-07-12, 13:21
Image build 205 is up and working.

raj
14-07-12, 13:35
Thats right, everything back to normal at this end.

Thanks

reverend
14-07-12, 16:09
all good here. thanks!

paul362
15-07-12, 08:03
Is it safe to update to 205 now ?? as my duo was hit by the looping as well.

alba1978
15-07-12, 08:33
It is all good my end and 206 is out and ready to update .

discuit
18-07-12, 12:12
So we're ok to update now?

paul362
18-07-12, 12:22
mines fine now

pooface
18-07-12, 12:30
If it's still set to unstable, then there may be problems...

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio using Tapatalk 2

damiano
18-07-12, 13:27
Hi my vu-duo crash when I try to update on line.

satmanbasil
18-07-12, 15:04
Hi

Me thinks with all these boxes crashing left right and center and people like myself not sure if to update online or leave well alone dont you think its time to go back to the old method of image testing with selected members interested and then issue the finished item when all bugs are almost fixed to save all the problems reported here of boxes falling down. Wont be long i can see before people start throwing blame around for damage to there stb because of glitch in the image.

regards

Rob van der Does
18-07-12, 15:42
I think with all these boxes crashing left right and center and people like myself not sure if to update online or leave well alone dont you think its time to go back to the old method of image testing with selected members interested and then issue the finished item when all bugs are almost fixed to save all the problems reported here of boxes falling down.
No, I don't: people like you just shouldn't update if/when feeds are set to 'unstable'. If you stick to the rules, nothings has changed for you.

twol
18-07-12, 17:14
No, I don't: people like you just shouldn't update if/when feeds are set to 'unstable'. If you stick to the rules, nothings has changed for you.

Agreed, if you like to play and have the time, then you take the risk :)

A question, why are the VU+ builds taking the hits, as my ET9x00 build seems fine??

Rob van der Does
18-07-12, 17:23
A question, why are the VU+ builds taking the hits, as my ET9x00 build seems fine??
If you're talking about the update bug: that was in all images for all boxes. You might have skipped the image with that bug?

Larry-G
18-07-12, 17:28

Hi

Me thinks with all these boxes crashing left right and center and people like myself not sure if to update online or leave well alone dont you think its time to go back to the old method of image testing with selected members interested and then issue the finished item when all bugs are almost fixed to save all the problems reported here of boxes falling down. Wont be long i can see before people start throwing blame around for damage to there stb because of glitch in the image.

regards

to be honest we cant win no matter what we do. previously we spent months between updates, testing and testing and testing some more, and for that we got nothing but complaints. Now we release regular updates and still the complaints. on the other hand this is exactly why we came up with the stable / unstable traffic light system, ie a green update is tested and good to go, a red update is untested and not recommended for all to use, this is also why we give members a choice to select unstable / red updates or not.

Rob van der Does
18-07-12, 17:35
...... this is also why we give members a choice to select unstable / red updates or not.
Exactly, and that choice is all that has been changed!

GAH2402
18-07-12, 18:52
Hi Guys,

Just like to throw in my tuppenceworth!

I for one are perfecty happy with the red/green options. I have my box set to download unstable updates (because that's my choice!) and had my first enigma crash in ages due to the bug in the 208 update. Big deal! It didn't ruin my life or my box either, and shortly after I uploaded my crashlog via Log Manager, Rob had posted a fix allowing me to update via Telnet. Yes, some people don't treat their boxes as a hobby and prefer to actually watch tv on them, so you should all set your boxes for stable updates only. If like me, you like to live dangerously (yeah, right!), set your box to unstable updates, and just make sure you take a backup before you update!

GAH

damiano
18-07-12, 21:31
Hi can I have the fix

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk 2

damiano
19-07-12, 08:59
Hi how do I solve the problem? Hire is my crash log.
Hi Guys,

Just like to throw in my tuppenceworth!

I for one are perfecty happy with the red/green options. I have my box set to download unstable updates (because that's my choice!) and had my first enigma crash in ages due to the bug in the 208 update. Big deal! It didn't ruin my life or my box either, and shortly after I uploaded my crashlog via Log Manager, Rob had posted a fix allowing me to update via Telnet. Yes, some people don't treat their boxes as a hobby and prefer to actually watch tv on them, so you should all set your boxes for stable updates only. If like me, you like to live dangerously (yeah, right!), set your box to unstable updates, and just make sure you take a backup before you update!

GAH

Trial
19-07-12, 09:12
Hi damiano,
you have to do an update by hand with telnet. Connect to your box with telnet and then:
1. init 4
2. opkg update
3. opkg upgrade
4. reboot

ciao

damiano
19-07-12, 09:22
Hi Trial I gone try that thank you
Hi damiano,
you have to do an update by hand with telnet. Connect to your box with telnet and then:
1. init 4
2. opkg update
3. opkg upgrade
4. reboot

ciao

damiano
19-07-12, 09:35
OK problem resolve thank you.
Hi Trial I gone try that thank you

alba1978
19-07-12, 18:21
I have been looking for some help on telnet but can't find any and want to upgrade the box. Can some one help on how to do it and if there is a guide provide a link for it.thanks in advance

Rob van der Does
19-07-12, 18:32
I have been looking for some help on telnet but can't find any and want to upgrade the box. Can some one help on how to do it and if there is a guide provide a link for it.thanks in advance

init 4
opkg update
opkg upgrade
init 6

alba1978
19-07-12, 18:59
Thanks rob my issue is that I don't know how to telnet to the box(et9200)

Larry-G
19-07-12, 19:20

Hi

regards

Thanks rob my issue is that I don't know how to telnet to the box(et9200)

Try this.

How to enable the default Telnet client in Windows 7 - Click Here (http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?12558-Tutorial-How-to-enable-the-default-Telnet-client-in-Windows-7)

alba1978
19-07-12, 19:45
Many thanks that was very helpful that did the trick and managet to update the box no problems

satmanbasil
20-07-12, 09:07
to be honest we cant win no matter what we do. previously we spent months between updates, testing and testing and testing some more, and for that we got nothing but complaints. Now we release regular updates and still the complaints. on the other hand this is exactly why we came up with the stable / unstable traffic light system, ie a green update is tested and good to go, a red update is untested and not recommended for all to use, this is also why we give members a choice to select unstable / red updates or not.

Hi mate

Dont get me wrong here i was simply pointing out that the actions to release open vix upgrades should have been set aside from the main running of the plugins and normal stb operation i did what was suggested regarding allowing unstable images etc to gain access to the plugins but i note for the past week i have had a flashing RED traffic light for the image upgrade is that right ? as im reading on forum here certain versions are working.
I know you guys are between a rock and a hard place on testing and getting out a working image i for one never complained about the next one and the next one knowing how long these things take to iron out the bugs all I was thinking was, we have many users who dont know much about linux stb and when things go wrong they flood the board with complaints , i was just throwing my hat into the ring and asking could the open vix testing be taken aside mabe additional menu for those who like to play but keeping the stb working as before all this happen for those who dont.
By the way to the person who mentioned about me playing with my box i would like to correct them I DONT !! at the time all i wanted was to gain access to the pluging section which was blocked due to this open vix testing

pooface
20-07-12, 09:21
Hi mate

Dont get me wrong here i was simply pointing out that the actions to release open vix upgrades should have been set aside from the main running of the plugins and normal stb operation i did what was suggested regarding allowing unstable images etc to gain access to the plugins but i note for the past week i have had a flashing RED traffic light for the image upgrade is that right ? as im reading on forum here certain versions are working.
I know you guys are between a rock and a hard place on testing and getting out a working image i for one never complained about the next one and the next one knowing how long these things take to iron out the bugs all I was thinking was, we have many users who dont know much about linux stb and when things go wrong they flood the board with complaints , i was just throwing my hat into the ring and asking could the open vix testing be taken aside mabe additional menu for those who like to play but keeping the stb working as before all this happen for those who dont.
By the way to the person who mentioned about me playing with my box i would like to correct them I DONT !! at the time all i wanted was to gain access to the pluging section which was blocked due to this open vix testing

Simple... Allow unstable, but only update when the light is green. As red will be unstable...

Or, allow unstable download plugins, disable unstable...

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio using Tapatalk 2

olly
29-07-12, 13:08
Theres me new to the sat scene,thinking i had problems with the software,as it would crash quite often! I now know th e reason why i was getting so many crashes,while downloading plugins,changing skins,etc.

I thought once an update was released it was a stable tested image,i was wondering why i had red light flashing at times then green,not updated anything yet since but now have green light flashing,so now i guess im good to go to try plugin downloads without worry of it crashing on me again.

Larry-G
29-07-12, 13:42
Theres me new to the sat scene,thinking i had problems with the software,as it would crash quite often! I now know th e reason why i was getting so many crashes,while downloading plugins,changing skins,etc.

I thought once an update was released it was a stable tested image,i was wondering why i had red light flashing at times then green,not updated anything yet since but now have green light flashing,so now i guess im good to go to try plugin downloads without worry of it crashing on me again.

we always advise that you keep a set of backups just incase the receiver does develop some instabilities which it will at some point if you frequently install plugins and skins etc. The image it self works well but like all operating systems every one is unique because of the individual plugins etc the user he or her self instals, Those plugins may not work well together or with the image at all causing problems, so make regular backups and when you have the system working exactly as you like it backup backup and backup some more.

Rob van der Does
29-07-12, 14:26
..... so make regular backups and when you have the system working exactly as you like it backup backup and backup some more.
And as both the settings- and image manager can be set to automatically make a daily backup, this is very easy.

stevesom
29-07-12, 19:05
And as both the settings- and image manager can be set to automatically make a daily backup, this is very easy.
Does it overwrite your other backups if you backup automatically or a new backup file created?

Trial
29-07-12, 19:31
Hi,
new backups are created.

ciao

Larry-G
29-07-12, 20:18
Does it overwrite your other backups if you backup automatically or a new backup file created?

backups when generated take the date and time as their name by default. so no it will not overwrite your existing backups by using the auto backup feature, although i prefer to do mine manually every other day.

Rob van der Does
29-07-12, 20:19
No: all backups get new names (with the date in it).

discuit
29-07-12, 22:18
Can anyone tell me how i check for online updates within the Vix menu system

Larry-G
29-07-12, 22:26
blue button> ViX> software update

or in later versions

menu> setup> software update.

discuit
31-07-12, 16:53
So you can't force it to check for updates now? menu> setup> software update.

Larry-G
31-07-12, 17:10
So you can't force it to check for updates now? menu> setup> software update.

of course you can, but if no updates are found you cant very well update can you ?. The latest public version is 2.4-213 which was released on the 19th of july.