PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Solo] can't load Vix 2.4

roughneck
11-07-12, 22:20
Have just purchased a Vu+ Solo and been assured more than once that it is an original. It arrive with BH1.6.6 loaded. I have a Vu Duo original and have Vix 2.4 set up nicely (best image I've tried), so wanted to put same on the new Solo. I began by flashing the new bootloader, then the latest stable build of the Solo 2.4 from Openvix. Nothing, blank screen! Reflashed, again nothing. Got a copy of BH1.6.6, flashed and it booted up. Tried again, nothing again. Next image I tried was Vix 2.2.100 - now up and running. My question: is this a clone box, and worse still (for me) a v1 box? Or am I missing something?

I've emailed the supplier asking for support.

Grateful for views from members who may have experience of the solo misbehaving? Also, if there is a sure fire way to confirm original or clone!

Maxwell
11-07-12, 22:24
did you just get a black screen after flashing the latest 2.4

roughneck
11-07-12, 22:28
yes. when the box boots with BH or Vix 2.2 the first thing I see is 720p appear top left before the splash screem. When I try 2.4, none of this happens - no 720p, no splash screen just HDMI 2 which is on whether the box is connected or not!

Larry-G
11-07-12, 22:28
which exact version of the 2.4 image did you try ?

roughneck
11-07-12, 22:30
I tried 165 & 155 - just in case!

Larry-G
11-07-12, 22:33
how much did you pay for the receiver and if possible pm me a link to the retailer.

roughneck
11-07-12, 22:40
have pm'd you details.

Larry-G
11-07-12, 22:53
thanks for the pm.

thats a very low price for a genuine Vu solo as even in Germany they retail for 219 euro, and the same retailer is advertising solo clones on the site for 145 euro so it's possible he sold you a clone. also it's suspect that he shipped it with that specific version of the BH image unless you asked for it as almost all clones ship with that supposedly clone safe version.

i'd contact the supplier and get him to sort it or replace if needed.

roughneck
11-07-12, 23:03
So are you saying it is a clone? How would I find out for sure. He emailed me today saying that it was fine to flash any image. Why wouldn't he ship v2 clones if he tells people this, especially somebody that asks him, more than once.

Larry-G
11-07-12, 23:08
no i'm not saying its a clone. i am saying that i find it very suspicious that he is selling genuine receivers so cheap with that specific image on it unless asked for at time of purchase. as for your other question in reference to v2 clones all i can say is this forum offers no support what so ever for cloned hardware of any type and as the retailer sells clones i would advise you contact him as we cant help any further.

roughneck
11-07-12, 23:15
Not looking for support on soring out a clone. If this is mis-sold, I will get it sorted, trust me. Just trying to confirm as the bloke is bang to rights with what he has emailed me!

Mr. Mister
11-07-12, 23:25
We can not say for sure.. But what you have told us it very much sounds line he sold you a clone..

roughneck
11-07-12, 23:42
at least it has a 12 month warranty, according to his website, but then again that said it was an original :rolleyes:

PS seller hasn't responded to my email yet, maybe he is trolling around these boards.......

roughneck
12-07-12, 20:28
OK guys, an update on my situation. Increasingly looks like I've been sold a clone advertised as genuine. I have flashed the new bootloader many times and Vix 2.4 v 181, 165, 155, 135 - no luck, always a blank screen. Same blank screen with BH1.7.6. BH 1.6.6 loads as does Vix 2.2.100.

A have one question about bootloader - how can I find out if this has successfully flashed? If it is this that is failing then that might be the cause, I know it's unlikely but worth a look. Simple instructions and link if possible as I'm not a genius like lots of you guys (hence being duped :o).

Next stop Paypal dispute and then a word with some colleagues at my work with request that they contact their counterparts (trading standards) in Eire.

Mr. Mister
12-07-12, 20:34
Sorry buddy..

This forum will NOT give support for clones in any way what so ever..

roughneck
12-07-12, 20:46
with respect, I am trying to establish if the box is original and perhaps faulty. I bought it in good faith, and the invoice says original. The website from which I bought also advertised clones, at a lower price than what I paid, and the clone pack includes some "extras" that were not included in my purchase. I'm trying to give the guy the benefit of the doubt.

Let's put it another way, how do I check if my original Vu solo is faulty or not, specifically whether or not the bootloader has updated? Seems to me if it has updated then I've been duped, in which case I will take this up with the supplier and authorities. I don't want support to get it working, I want an original box, and if this isn't one then it goes back.

Mr. Mister
12-07-12, 20:50
Menu > Information > About

It will tell you the kernal there..

roughneck
12-07-12, 21:03
Sorry if I appear a bit thick, but is the kernel the bootloader? Somehow I picture them as being different. Logically the kernel shown in menu>about>information will be related to the image, and as 3.1.1 images won't load I cannot access the menu. If I put Vix 2.2.100 then it is the old kerenel that I see in the menu. The bootloader is either the old one or the new one, but this menu you suggest won't tell me which bootloader is set up in the flash?

The logic I am following is that if the bootloader won't update then it won't flash the newer images. Feel free to tell me straight, I'm a bit of a novice as you can no doubt tell. Faulty bootloder is the last thing to check as I see it?

PS Mister thanks for the bouquet, works great on my ORIGINAL Duo, lol.

roughneck
13-07-12, 20:18
Final update, seller responded today and said he was "mortified" and that he had been conned by a supplier saying they were shifting old stock before the new Vu came out. Offered full refund and to pay postage for return. We live and learn eh?

Thanks for bearing with me and sorry if I tried peoples patience. My tip for people out there looking for an original is to remember the phrase "caveat emptor" - it's latin if you need to look it up :eek: