PDA

View Full Version : Xtrend remote quality/layout

osmononame
09-07-12, 12:00
Hi folks,

I am in the market for a new E2 box. I have had a VU Duo for over 2 years now and it has been rock solid. I need to add one to another room and so am looking at either a ET9500, Ultimo or another Duo. The pro's for going with another Duo is that I know the box and what images are like for it etc etc and that I know the remote for it is good (button press/line of sight/layout). This is one complaint I had with Dream products - I could never live with their remote as I found you had to point the remote directly at receiver and I wasn't too fond of the layout either.

Has anyone had a chance to compare the Duo remote to the Xtrend one? Are they comparable. I like to tinker with different stuff so really want to purchase something other than another Duo just so I can have a play with it but if the remote is not as good as the Duo's then it's a deal breaker.

Sicilian
09-07-12, 12:09
I'd personally choose the Ultimo, far better specs for not that much more money http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Digital-Satellite-Receivers/Vu/VU-Plus-Ultimo-Twin-Tuner-HD-PVR-DVB-S2-DVB-T-Linux-Enigma-2-Satellite-Receiver As far the remote goes, my missus loves the Ultimo remote, but I find the buttons a bit on the small side, so I'd recommend getting one of these with the Ultimo http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Digital-Satellite-Receivers/Vu/VU-Duo-Solo-Uno-Ultimo-Genuine-Universal-Remote-Control

Email the sponsor, sure they will work you out a deal ;) http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/index.php?route=information/contact

Rob van der Does
09-07-12, 12:15
Go for a Logitech Harmony, whatever box you choose. They're far better than any device-R/C and working with 'activities' instead of dealing with devices is a relief.

osmononame
09-07-12, 12:42
Go for a Logitech Harmony, whatever box you choose. They're far better than any device-R/C and working with 'activities' instead of dealing with devices is a relief.

I have a Harmony One but the lack of a physical blue button renders it almost useless with an E2 box. Also with the Harmony One there is a noticeable lag between pressing the button to channels changing so I don't get on with it when watching TV but for everything else it is good (PJ, XBMC, Onkyo).

Larry-G
09-07-12, 12:50
I have a Harmony One but the lack of a physical blue button renders it almost useless with an E2 box. Also with the Harmony One there is a noticeable lag between pressing the button to channels changing so I don't get on with it when watching TV but for everything else it is good (PJ, XBMC, Onkyo).

I use a Harmony 600 and a Harmony 650. both have the physical coloured buttons and work great with those functions. Yes i have a very small lag but i can live with it, Its never really bothered me that much to go looking to see if it can be corrected.

Rob van der Does
09-07-12, 13:16
I have a Harmony One but the lack of a physical blue button renders it almost useless with an E2 box.
Absolutely correct: the 'One' is the only Harmony one should never buy (and Logitech has promissed this to be a one-of mistake).

Also with the Harmony One there is a noticeable lag between pressing the button to channels changing so I don't get on with it when watching TV but for everything else it is good (PJ, XBMC, Onkyo).
That can be corrected in the set-up (timings). None of my Harmony's suffer from that.

osmononame
09-07-12, 13:22
Absolutely correct: the 'One' is the only Harmony one should never buy (and Logitech has promissed this to be a one-of mistake).

That can be corrected in the set-up (timings). None of my Harmony's suffer from that.

I have tried changing and tinkering with the inter-key delays settings with the One but the lag is there. There are videos on Youtube showing it as a problem with the One (it's a known issue/quirk) - it may not affect other models. I have even had my remote replaced by Logitech and was given the One+ as a replacement and it still has the same issue. Other than that and the missing blue button it is a fantastic bit of kit.

So the consensus is to go for an Ultimo and purchase a standard remote?

Sicilian
09-07-12, 13:26
So the consensus is to go for an Ultimo and purchase a standard remote?

Contact the the sponsor on link above, see what deal you can work out.

I've got a Harmony 625 and 900, most of the time I use the VU+ universal remote.

If you cant get on with a harmony, its the next best option imo. Be aware though that the VU+ Universal remote isn't guaranteed to work with all TV's.

pooface
09-07-12, 13:31
I use a Harmony 600 and a Harmony 650. both have the physical coloured buttons and work great with those functions. Yes i have a very small lag but i can live with it, Its never really bothered me that much to go looking to see if it can be corrected.

I have the 650 remote, and for some reason, long button presses never work with colours... Have tried loads of things to get it to work, and nothing sorted it... As for lag, it can get quite annoying at times...

As for ultimo remote, that is totally cr@p in terms of the line of sight... Remote in itself is OK (apart from small buttons said, but that's liveable). But the line of site is just terrible!

Between et9k and duo remote (assume it has the same remote it's always shipped with still?!), they are both quite similar. The duo remote feels to me, to be much more durable and stronger, but the et remote has some better functions imo, and some parts are better laid out... So a bit of give and take with both imo

Larry-G
09-07-12, 13:35
I have the 650 remote, and for some reason, long button presses never work with colours... Have tried loads of things to get it to work, and nothing sorted it... As for lag, it can get quite annoying at times...

As for ultimo remote, that is totally cr@p in terms of the line of sight... Remote in itself is OK (apart from small buttons said, but that's liveable). But the line of site is just terrible!

Between et9k and duo remote (assume it has the same remote it's always shipped with still?!), they are both quite similar. The duo remote feels to me, to be much more durable and stronger, but the et remote has some better functions imo, and some parts are better laid out... So a bit of give and take with both imo

same here never managed to get the long press working on the coloured buttons but i can live it that. and yes i hate the ultimo remote, instead i use a Vu universal remote when not using the harmony.

Rob van der Does
09-07-12, 13:40
Long-(colour) buttons were never a problem here (see my footer for the Harmony's in use).

Sicilian
09-07-12, 13:43
Long coloured work fine on my 625 and 900 too.

pooface
09-07-12, 14:48
I think that there's something wrong with maybe an update or something they did... As I tried going through it with andy once before, and he ended up loosing his long coloured button presses iirc... I never bothered trying to re-sort it after that and stuck with it with no long presses. Funnily enough, long presses for some other things work perfectly fine (OK button being one iirc)?!

Now, I just go through the menu button and "put up" with it...