PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Solo] Set default volume

rikesh
08-07-12, 18:54
When powering off/on, the Vu+ solo keeps reverting to a very low volume. Since I use HDMI-CEC, the only way to increase this volume is by pressing the buttons on the actual box.

Is there any way to set the default volume for the Vu+ to remain at maximum?

Many thanks

Maxwell
08-07-12, 18:57
no but if you set Forward volume keys to No in HDMI-CEC the remote can still control the volume

Rob van der Does
08-07-12, 18:57
How do you power off? Setting should be kept.

rikesh
08-07-12, 23:20
This only started happening recently. Haven't changed any settings but I know some things have changed by themselves - I had to manually restart CCcam too (it mysteriously disabled itself). Any ideas?

Rob van der Does
09-07-12, 05:23
So again:

How do you power off? Setting should be kept.

And what are your settings in HDMI-CEC?

rikesh
10-07-12, 16:10
[I power off the Vu+ using the STB power button on the remote control, placing the box into standby.]

[Settings > HDMI-CEC > Forward volume keys is set to no. But either setting produces the same result, i.e. either way the volume keys are forwarded to amp]

So I spent a few days to observe the problem, here are my findings...

My original post was somewhat incorrect. The problem does not simply reoccur upon powering off/on - it is sporadic. Also, the Vu+ volume only affects the SD channels (i.e. those without AC3 audio). In other words, HD channels are never affected by the problem described in this thread - probably because I am using an amp for sound output via HDMI.

I still can't figure out exactly what triggers the volume decrease. I think this problem has only become apparent since I got the amp - before this, I would use the TV speakers at a set volume and HD/SD channels would have no variation (since AC3 downsampling was on).

For simplicity, could I request the feature of fixing the Vu+ volume at 100% permanently in the settings menu?

Rob van der Does
10-07-12, 17:39
Also, the Vu+ volume only affects the SD channels (i.e. those without AC3 audio). In other words, HD channels are never affected by the problem described in this thread - probably because I am using an amp for sound output via HDMI.
AC3 can never be influenced by the volume slider of the box: AC3 sound is always 'looped through' (sent out as is, the box can't change anything to AC3)

For simplicity, could I request the feature of fixing the Vu+ volume at 100% permanently in the settings menu?
Sorry, but there's nothing to fix. The volume of the box is always set by the volume-slider of the box (apart from AC3 that is), and unless you push the volume buttons (on the R/C or via HDMI-CEC) nothing changes the actual setting.

rikesh
10-07-12, 21:44
AC3 can never be influenced by the volume slider of the box: AC3 sound is always 'looped through' (sent out as is, the box can't change anything to AC3)

I agree.

Sorry, but there's nothing to fix.

I am not trying to say anything is broken/needs fixing. What I mean by 'fix' is: set permanently.

The volume of the box is always set by the volume-slider of the box (apart from AC3 that is), and unless you push the volume buttons (on the R/C or via HDMI-CEC) nothing changes the actual setting.

Of course this is the intended function. In my case, there appears to be some reason for the inadvertent volume change and I am merely suggesting a suitable workaround. Unless I discover the trigger for the volume change, this would be a warmly welcomed option and (presumably) easy to code into the software, considering how advanced some of the features of ViX are :)

Many thanks again

pooface
10-07-12, 22:40
OK, as a test, do this...

On the solo, change the volume to maximum for the solo. Now, go to the power menu, and choose "restart" or "restart enigma" (both should perform same function, I'd prefer to go with the restart enigma as would be quicker).

Now, see if you're still having the problem, and never change the volume using the solo for volume...

My guess, is that your box is crashing every night when crossing updates, and so reverts volume... Since restarting will save the current volume as the "default", you should be ok...

Maxwell
10-07-12, 22:43
on my amp there is a setting for startup volume - mute, low, last set, etc and as your problem only started when you got the amp you might find something similar - some amps do not let the user set this though and will automatically default to a low setting to prevent accidental damage to speakers.

rikesh
12-07-12, 13:34
OK, as a test, do this...

On the solo, change the volume to maximum for the solo. Now, go to the power menu, and choose "restart" or "restart enigma" (both should perform same function, I'd prefer to go with the restart enigma as would be quicker).

Now, see if you're still having the problem, and never change the volume using the solo for volume...

My guess, is that your box is crashing every night when crossing updates, and so reverts volume... Since restarting will save the current volume as the "default", you should be ok...

Brilliant - this sorted it! Thank you very much for your help!