PDA

View Full Version : Vu uno tuner signal strenght

snakie
05-07-12, 06:28
Yesterday discovered weird thing.New uno (I have bougt day before yesterday from our sponsor)signal strenght dropped to 10-15 % compare with my duo.Any ideas why it's so different?Or it's just me being unlucky and have to live with bad tuner.:mad:

Sicilian
05-07-12, 07:45
One thing to remember is the signal strengths reported by a receiver are just a rough guide, only way you see proper strength is a professional meter. Anything can cause a slight signal drop like that, channel strengths all vary, weather, LNB, anything..... My signal strength are all over the place a across a couple of receivers using the same quad LNB's and dishes. Each unit reports different strengths.

Rob van der Does
05-07-12, 08:10
And apart from Silician's explanation: signal-strength is a totally unimportant value; its SNR that counts (and that also is a value that can't be compared with other boxes).

An STB simply is not a meter; it's not calibrated (and percentages even can't be calibrated). Nevertheless, you can use the box's values very well for dish aligning.

snakie
05-07-12, 14:23
One thing to remember is the signal strengths reported by a receiver are just a rough guide, only way you see proper strength is a professional meter. Anything can cause a slight signal drop like that, channel strengths all vary, weather, LNB, anything..... My signal strength are all over the place a across a couple of receivers using the same quad LNB's and dishes. Each unit reports different strengths.

I have decent satellite meter.Tested on actual channels for example vu duo was 43%with good picture- vu uno came 31% with visible picture glitching.
I'll do some more test tonight.( Test have been done on same gibertini 1m dish ,same inverto ultra black lnb and same gbsat satellite motor.)
Cheers guys

Sicilian
05-07-12, 14:32
What satellite are you tuning too with such low signals?

Rob van der Does
05-07-12, 14:34
I have decent satellite meter.Tested on actual channels for example vu duo was 43%with good picture- vu uno came 31% with visible picture glitching.
This is SNR I presume?

Trial
05-07-12, 14:54
Hi,
you cannot compare the percentage values of different STBs. If your values are SNR then even the 43% of you DUO is far to less. It should be at least 70-80% to have some reserves for bad weather.

ciao

snakie
05-07-12, 18:27
What satellite are you tuning too with such low signals?
4.8e some nordic chanells(I mean transponder with lowest snr on whole satellite), duo and uno is a bit different .Some more tests tonight.
Do you think FTGA update would make any difference?
Kernel 3.1.1?

Sicilian
05-07-12, 18:58
Try the latest here http://archive.vuplus.com/download/fpga/vuuno/

Huevos
14-07-12, 00:34
This has come up before. The Duo tuner is very sensitive and at certain frequencies does seem to have a clear edge over the Uno/Ultimo tuner. It will be interesting to see what happens if/when the dual tuner cards are released.

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?14995-tuner-problems

sasho
27-08-13, 08:23
Huevos

did you get a better tunner sensitivity with your ultimo after fpga upgrade
did you compare ultimo and duo after fpga upgrade

Huevos
27-08-13, 13:00
Huevos

did you get a better tunner sensitivity with your ultimo after fpga upgrade
did you compare ultimo and duo after fpga upgradeThe tuner does seem to have improved in stability since the fpga upgrade and various new driver changes but to be honest I think the sensitivity problem at higher frequencies is down to hardware. As a test, using an Ultimo loaded with single and twin tuner cards, connected to the same LNB and dish, I get far better sensitivity at higher frequencies from the twin tuner card than the single.

Single tuner:

Twin tuner:

sasho
27-08-13, 13:21
can you do same test from Astra 1N 12.363

Huevos
27-08-13, 17:29
can you do same test from Astra 1N 12.363No, it's not possible to test as I get 100% SNR on that transponder. But anyway it was channels above 12500 MHz that were worst affected.