PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Duo] Duo Vix 2.4 can I stream to a TV in another room

andys0506
04-07-12, 10:40
Hi, I'm thinking of getting a TV for the bedroom and would love to be able to stream from the Duo downstairs to the bedroom. I'm guessing if possible it will by via DLNA or web enabled TV.
Any ideas anyone?
Thanks

Maxwell
04-07-12, 10:49
if you mean live tv then only if the tv can work with the openwebif and handle m3u - for recordings the tv needs to handle .ts files or you will need to convert them to a format the tv does understand.
Easiest way is if you have a laptop with hdmi out there are various softwares that can do it. just hook it up to the tv and stream to that

Rob van der Does
04-07-12, 11:00
Or an Enigma box for the bedroom. May be a very cheap one, even the tuner may be defect.

andys0506
04-07-12, 11:11
Or an Enigma box for the bedroom. May be a very cheap one, even the tuner may be defect.

Ah interesting, but then I'd have to get into the realms of LAN c/s as I don't have a sat feed in the room.

Updated: Or can I use a 2nd e2 box as a client to connect to my Duo server. Is that possible?

Rob van der Does
04-07-12, 11:20
Yes, you can use E2 boxes as clients to your main (server) box. Only a LAN-cable is required (although home plugs might work as well).

On a client box you can watch life-TV as well as recordings.

andys0506
04-07-12, 11:25
Yes, you can use E2 boxes as clients to your main (server) box. Only a LAN-cable is required (although home plugs might work as well).

On a client box you can watch life-TV as well as recordings.

Thanks Rob that sounds like a good way to go.

Could you give me a quick overview of how to do that. I know my way around the box quite well so nothing too detailed required :)

Rob van der Does
04-07-12, 11:41
For recordings: simply mount the serverbox.
For life-TV: on the clientbox use the RemoteChannelConvertor plugin (it's on the feeds) to copy the desired bouquets from the serverbox. Once done you can zap as if the tuner was in the clientbox.
NB: of course a clientbox can only watch within the limits of the serverbox. A stream is handled the same way as a recording.

andys0506
04-07-12, 11:53
Thanks, and in terms of connectivity, I'm assuming I just need a wired or wireless connection to my router for the 2nd e2 box? Do you know whether HD broadcasts will stream ok as I know over the webif sometimes only SD works.

Rob van der Does
04-07-12, 11:56
I use this all the time, without any problem. A wired connection is preferred, as wireless connections often fail to transport HD (bandwidth too small).
The WEB-IF also works fine for HD-streams. If not, this is either due to the LAN-bandwidth, or to the PC used (not fast enough for HD, or incorrect settings).

andys0506
04-07-12, 12:01
My HD streaming issue must be my Virgin Media Superhub. I am currently in the process of replacing it with a Dlink DIR-615 as the wireless is awful with superhub. Hopefully that will improve my bandwidth.

andys0506
04-07-12, 12:57
I use this all the time, without any problem. A wired connection is preferred, as wireless connections often fail to transport HD (bandwidth too small).
The WEB-IF also works fine for HD-streams. If not, this is either due to the LAN-bandwidth, or to the PC used (not fast enough for HD, or incorrect settings).

Rob is there a cheap box you would recommend. Do I need to run Vix for this to work?

Rob van der Does
04-07-12, 13:09
Rob is there a cheap box you would recommend.
For this purpose I would just look at the price. Sponsor's shop is worth to have a look at.

Do I need to run Vix for this to work?
No, ViX is not needed, but the image must be URL-streaming capable. PLi- and ViX are, other might be.