PDA

View Full Version : Modified Skin Question

garyblas
02-07-12, 13:24
I have modified the Magic-HD Night skin to my liking and all works well.
My question is when i upgrade the vix image to whatever next level is i.e level 130 to say 151 it loses my skin settings and goes back to original Magic Skin setting.

Why is this? I simply reload my skin setting back in and all works again.

wiz569
02-07-12, 14:04
I have modified the Magic-HD Night skin to my liking and all works well.
My question is when i upgrade the vix image to whatever next level is i.e level 130 to say 151 it loses my skin settings and goes back to original Magic Skin setting.

Why is this? I simply reload my skin setting back in and all works again.

Because your skin modification is unique to your box/image so when you upgrade its sets it back to the default settings:)

Sent from my x10 using Tapatalk 2

Rob van der Does
02-07-12, 14:16
Because a skin is a system-file, and not a user-file.
So the solution is to make it a user-file. Simply rename your skin.xml to skin_user.xml and locate it in etc/enigma2. This file will always have precedence over the systemfile.

PS 1: when that file is there, you'll not be able to change a skin via the menu, because in that case also ypur skin_user.xml will be used and that file is not compatible with another skin. So if you want to experiment with other skins, rename your skin_user.xml (to something like skin_user.xmlORI).

PS 2: it's always good to let other people have a look at the changes you made: maybe others like them as well.

02-07-12, 16:13
Indeed, I'd like to see this modified skin if you don't mind sharing? :D

garyblas
02-07-12, 19:50
Thanks for info. Ive not changed it much just the epg colours to look more like sky and some text sizes.

Because a skin is a system-file, and not a user-file.
So the solution is to make it a user-file. Simply rename your skin.xml to skin_user.xml and locate it in etc/enigma2. This file will always have precedence over the systemfile.

PS 1: when that file is there, you'll not be able to change a skin via the menu, because in that case also ypur skin_user.xml will be used and that file is not compatible with another skin. So if you want to experiment with other skins, rename your skin_user.xml (to something like skin_user.xmlORI).

PS 2: it's always good to let other people have a look at the changes you made: maybe others like them as well.

Larry-G
02-07-12, 19:54
Thanks for info. Ive not changed it much just the epg colours to look more like sky and some text sizes.

we always welcome those with the drive to make even a "minor" alteration. you are more than welcome to post your alterations as some one else is bound to want to use them for them selves.

Rob van der Does
02-07-12, 21:31
In that case it's best to put only that screen in you skin_user.xml. If the skin is updated, you'll get the updates for all the other screens in the skin.