PDA

View Full Version : [ET9x00] Often no EPG data after startup.

destroyer2usa
01-07-12, 16:08
Hi,

I have a lot of times after starting up system that no EPG data is present in channel or guide.

A couple of reboots and then data is present again, also a manual update of Rytec brings up the data, but when i then switch off the system and boot again a couple of hours later then again no data present.

Data is stored on internal HDD.

Stanman
01-07-12, 17:01
There is a setting in the EPG to force reload after boot or something like that, give it atry

destroyer2usa
01-07-12, 17:21
There is a setting in the EPG to force reload after boot or something like that, give it atry

I already tried that..reload EPG but then also no EPG date when opening guide.

I have deleted the epg.dat file and redownloaded EPG data...let's wait and see if that cures the problem.

Stanman
01-07-12, 17:23
The other thing you could try is putting the EPG on a USB stick as HDD may not wake up in time?

deleted
01-07-12, 19:13
I can confirm this, every single reboot, results in loss of EPG being shown, a reboot of enigma fixes this immediately.

destroyer2usa
02-07-12, 21:04
Yep....just booted up the system and again no EPG data is present.

Must have been a change in one of the recent updates?...a month ago I didn't have this problem and I changed nothing in my setup...

Rob van der Does
03-07-12, 07:01
Must have been a change in one of the recent updates?
No, there have been no changes in this area for a long time. And on my ET9200 (and other boxes) it works well.
How do you shut-down the box? Did you try changing the epg.dat location to an USB stick (just for a test; this shouldn't make any difference).

destroyer2usa
03-07-12, 21:07
Ok. I installed epg data to usb.

Unfortunately didn't help...still no EPG data after bootup...

Shutdown normally with long press of red button, but shutdown thru menu doesn't make a difference.

Ok..I noticed something strange...perhaps that's the cause.

The saved EPG.dat file on my HD is only 544 bytes big!

I just redownloaded EPG data to USB and that file is 22 MB big, so something goes wrong with downloading/writing of EPG data to HD?

Rob van der Does
03-07-12, 21:34
Try to save epg.dat (via the menu) after a download: does that work?

destroyer2usa
03-07-12, 21:54
Yep saving worked on build 119.

Just updated again to latest build and again no EPG data....file is still there on usb, 22 MB big so that is not the problem?

EPG just doesn't get loaded...even using the option load EPG data does nothing.......Ok...I'm out of ideas...

Rob van der Does
03-07-12, 22:03
file is still there on usb, 22 MB big so that is not the problem?
EPG just doesn't get loaded...even using the option load EPG data does nothing.......
Is the location in the menu set to USB?

destroyer2usa
04-07-12, 06:27
Is the location in the menu set to USB?

Yes menu setting is switched then.

Rob van der Does
04-07-12, 06:41
Sorry, I'm out of ideas. Anyone?

Maxwell
04-07-12, 07:23
see if you have an epg.dat file in /etc/enigma2 if so delete it then reboot

Maxwell
04-07-12, 08:13
see if you have an epg.dat file in /etc/enigma2 if so delete it then reboot

Bit more info:

When you change epg location the existing epg.dat is written to the new location automatically and it is my guess that you have a corrupt epg.dat somewhere so login with Filezilla press F3 to search with the following

Search Directory /
Filename contains epg

This will find all instances of files and directories associated with epg,
once finished delete all epg.dat files - leave everything else.
exit Filezilla
Now on the receiver Go to menu>setup>system>epg>settings - make sure you select /media/usb as your epg location and once set do not change it and set Automatic refresh to No and Automatic Save to No
Go to menu>setup>system>epg>xmltv-importer and set Start import after booting up to disable
do a manual download of the epg data then a full restart (this will write the new epg.dat file to your usb*)
once finished exit the menu and use filezilla again to check that the only location of epg.dat is /media/usb
Press EPG to check it is all working as it should.

EDIT: if you are familiar with telnet then before you do any of the above stop enigma with init 4 and instead of the restart use init 3 to restart enigma. - if you are not familiar with telnet proceed as above.

*Thanks Rob

romey
04-07-12, 16:06
Nice guide Maxwell4321. I'm having a similar problem so thought I'd add to this topic rather than a new one.

I've gone through the guide and when i get to Restart and double check with filezilla that no epg.dat files exist. after restarting the receiver shows two instances of epg.dat again. One in etc and one on the USB, both roughly the same size.

Is there a log file which shows what happens on startup to see why this occurs?

Thanks

Larry-G
04-07-12, 16:11
Just to clarify, the EPG is held in live memory so any changes made such as deleting the EPG.dat file should always be done with enigma asleep ( using the init 4 command first to put enigma asleep then using the init 3 command to reawaken enigma once the changes have been made.) otherwise the EPG.dat file will just be rewritten overriding your changes.

Rob van der Does
04-07-12, 16:12
If USB is the setting in the menu, the box will nevertheless use etc/enigma2 if that location is not available at E2 stop. So maybe there's something not good with your stick.

Maxwell
04-07-12, 16:23
You did do a full power off restart and not just a restart of Enigma ?
Also manually go to the locations after the search and delete them

romey
04-07-12, 16:35
Cheers for the replies guys, much appreciated.

Full restart carried out, deleted both epg.dat, full restart again, and now only one instance of epg.dat appears. :) One other change I made before the second restart was that updating the epg through crossepg was enabled, so I've disabled that for the time being, I'll see how it goes. Would it be ok to delete any duplicate instances of crossepg in etc2 as they dont appear to have been modified for some time, whereas the files on the USB do.

Maxwell
04-07-12, 16:44
Guide edited about the restart :)

Maxwell
04-07-12, 16:46
No dont delete anything except what is specified

destroyer2usa
04-07-12, 18:35
Bit more info:

*Thanks Rob

Thanks for this guide and all the assistance.

I have left the file on hd and followed the rest of the instructions. Should I leave both mentioned settings for EPG to NO always?

All this I have done on build 151. Tried a couple of cold reboots just now and EPG is working fine again. Will keep a eye on it and update this thread if problem comes back.

Now it's safe to update to latest build?

Maxwell
04-07-12, 18:45
I have those settings at no all the time, the file on hdd will be overwitten by the live data from the new downloaded epg data on shutdown and yes upgrade to 155

Rob van der Does
04-07-12, 18:54
I have those settings at no all the time, the file on hdd will be overwitten by the live data from the new downloaded epg data .
Sorry, but that is not correct. All data that is downloaded when the box is in use, be it an import or read from transponders, will be added to the existing data. The original, and possibly corrupt data, will never be overwritten.
That is simply the way E2 handles EPG data: on E2 start the epg.dat is read and the data is kept in memory; all "new" data will be added to that. The complete set (so including the original data-set) will be written to epg.dat when E2 is stopped (and be read again on E2 start).

So removing the file epg.dat is always possible, but removing the data is only possible when E2 is stopped.
So the only way to get rid of a corrupt epg-dataset is to stop E2 (init 4), delete epg.dat and restart e2 (init 3). Now there's no epg-data at all in the system, and you can begin building a new dataset.

destroyer2usa
04-07-12, 21:33
Bad news...just started my system again and again no epg data.

I stopped E2 did a search and only the file epg.dat is present so when I startup my system for some reason E2 doesn't read and load to memory the epg.dat file from my hd.

I rebooted and still no epg.dat file in memory.

Any ideas why and even better how can I fix this annoying problem...I really the vix image but having EPG data i also love...

Rob van der Does
04-07-12, 21:35
......I rebooted and still no epg.dat file in memory......
That is correct: epg.dat is never in memory......

destroyer2usa
04-07-12, 22:01
That is correct: epg.dat is never in memory......

Ok...why then sometimes when you do a search there are two files? One in etc (corrupt) and one on hd?

Ok. I gave it another shot...wiped everything...set location to usb, redownloading epg data (Rytec will be happy with me...) and then I will do a full restart.

Then data is written to selected location but when I turn my box in deep standby and turn on tomorrow epg data is not read from save location and again a empty epg.

Update 1

Downloaded EPg, save location usb, shutdown box, startup and again no EPG data.

Searched with filezilla only 1 epg.dat file is present on usb...size 22mb...so data is present but box doesn´t load the data during boot.

So when I now switch off the box...the empty epg data will be saved and I stay with that empty epg data...

Rob van der Does
05-07-12, 06:22
Ok...why then sometimes when you do a search there are two files? One in etc (corrupt) and one on hd?..
As I said before: if the location that is set in the menu is not available (for whatever which reason) the default location etc/enigma2 will be used.
Or in other words: the fact that this file exists proves that there is something wrong with your HDD: apparently it is not always available.

Ok. I gave it another shot...wiped everything...set location to usb, redownloading epg data (Rytec will be happy with me...) and then I will do a full restart.
Then data is written to selected location but when I turn my box in deep standby and turn on tomorrow epg data is not read from save location and again a empty epg.....
Same story: this proves that the USB-stick was not available at the moment Enigma started

Update 1
Downloaded EPg, save location usb, shutdown box, startup and again no EPG data.
Searched with filezilla only 1 epg.dat file is present on usb...size 22mb...so data is present but box doesn´t load the data during boot.
So when I now switch off the box...the empty epg data will be saved and I stay with that empty epg data...
Correct: the data in memory will be written; if no data is available there will be no data in epg-dat either.

Long story short: what you experience is that there are problems with your mounts. The epg-problems are only a symptom of that. I suggest you open a new topic with that problem (and you can refer to this thread as proof that the problem is there).

Maxwell
05-07-12, 06:39
As Rob says your problem is not the epg but your hdd - what happens if you use normal standby instead of deep standby

Rob van der Does
05-07-12, 06:43
what happens if you use normal standby instead of deep standby
To clarify: nothing should happen than, as in standby the box remains fully active.

Maxwell
05-07-12, 07:31
To clarify: nothing should happen than, as in standby the box remains fully active.

To Clarify - Except for the hdd/usb going to sleep which is where the problem lies

Rob van der Does
05-07-12, 07:35
To Clarify - Except for the hdd/usb going to sleep which is where the problem lies
But that makes no difference: as long as the box is active (= also in standby) nothing will be done with epg.dat.
And (depending on settings) the HDD also goes to sleep when the box is active.

And for looking into a mount-problem I again strongly suggest another thread; as that is of-topic here.

Maxwell
05-07-12, 07:42
But it will if he is doing an overnight epg import

Rob van der Does
05-07-12, 07:52
But it will if he is doing an overnight epg import
Also on EPG-imports no epg.dat will be written; that only happens on stopping E2. A box can run for months without the file ever being written/read.

And we know already that OP has a mount problem.

destroyer2usa
05-07-12, 21:12
Thanks for the advice.. Gonna run a filecheck to from vix menu to see if there are problems with the hd and afterwards when necessary start a new thread about the mount problem.

deleted
06-07-12, 13:23
Well in my case it's not a mount/HDD/USB problem.

epg.dat is stored in internal flash on my ET9500, I'll describe my case:

1) Box running epg is visible, all OK
2) Full reboot
3) After reboot no epg visible
4) Restart only enigma2
5) After restart epg is visible, all OK

I can reproduce this 100% of the time, every full reboot it doesn't show the epg and every time I restart enigma2, it shows again.

Can anyone explain this? Perhaps a file lock during full reboot, but afterwards when only enigma2 is restarted, the file lock is gone?

deleted
17-08-12, 07:42
This bug still exists in VIX 3.0

Sicilian
17-08-12, 08:00
Well in my case it's not a mount/HDD/USB problem.

epg.dat is stored in internal flash on my ET9500, I'll describe my case:

It is not recommended to store epg in flash, try saving to your HDD or USB.

deleted
17-08-12, 12:15
I'll give it a try this evening, if that could be the cause.

Also I'd like it if propper credit could be given to the picon sets from http://picons.zoka.cc/

zoka.cc is not the creator, that's just the hosting company, I am the creator.

Maxwell
17-08-12, 12:20

Also I'd like it if propper credit could be given to the picon sets from http://picons.zoka.cc/

Thanks for informing us of this

Sicilian
17-08-12, 12:20

Welcome aboard Ocram and thank you for your Picons, best set out there imo :)

I'll update the release credits, thank you for advising us :)

andyblac
17-08-12, 12:21

yes no problem, we will change that

deleted
17-08-12, 12:24
Wow, what a fast response, thanks

Maxwell
17-08-12, 12:39
all latest release threads have now been edited to credit your username in the special thanks section :thumbsup:

andyblac
17-08-12, 12:52

will be changed in next update.

https://github.com/oe-alliance/oe-alliance-core/commit/3b9476967bfde7285ddf2b6f03545cf2d2af34cd

deleted
17-08-12, 15:15
andy I think you forgot to change the "include" from the SD versions and there's a typo in the SD transparant version "Scram"

thanks

deleted
17-08-12, 16:32
OK back on topic, just changed the epg.dat location to hdd, but this didn't fix it, the problem still remains.

deleted
17-08-12, 16:50
Ok, so I found the problem and I found the solution in the name of the Debug logs.

I was using NTP time instead of transponder time, after a reboot of the box the time was still 01-01-1970_01-00-24 while importing the EPG, so nothing got imported. After changing back to transponder time, the time after a reboot was updated faster/before the EPG import, and the EPG imported correct.

andyblac
17-08-12, 16:56
Ok, so I found the problem and I found the solution in the name of the Debug logs.

I was using NTP time instead of transponder time, after a reboot of the box the time was still 01-01-1970_01-00-24 while importing the EPG, so nothing got imported. After changing back to transponder time, the time after a reboot was updated faster/before the EPG import, and the EPG imported correct.

i will code it so NTP update is run before e2 starts,

deleted
17-08-12, 17:01
I'm glad I finally found the problem, because was bugging me...

andyblac
17-08-12, 18:46
done for next update

https://github.com/oe-alliance/oe-alliance-core/commit/a4b8caadbbed858b55c3d83664beb650bc210aa8

deleted
30-08-12, 20:17
It seems that the bug is still not solved...

punisher
30-08-12, 20:18
I used to experience it a lot but of late last few updates i have done and reboots the epg has been loaded perfectly fine so Andy has fixed something. This is on ET5K and Uno

deleted
30-08-12, 22:33
Did you have NTP as time setting?

punisher
30-08-12, 23:12
Yeh Sync Time using NTP

deleted
31-08-12, 06:30
Strange... I did a quick test yesterday, right after image update, changed setting to NTP, rebooted and no EPG, changed back to TRANSPONDER, rebooted and EPG was there.

Perhaps I'll need to reboot some more, will test later.

Rob van der Does
31-08-12, 06:40
I can assure you the problem is still there.
I've spent a lot of (Andy's) time trying to resolve this problem, and we really thought we did.
Please report if this is the case after a cold-reboot. And I mean really cold: it looks like that RTC will continue working for some time when power is cut off. So I would say: make sure time is set to NTP, power down, cut power for some 10 minutes, reboot and see if EPG is there. If so: the problem is solved. If not: it's still there.
For some background info see http://openpli.org/forums/topic/23953-epg-is-iedere-keer-leeg/page__view__findpost__p__294219

Rob van der Does
31-08-12, 07:36
Just done this test (using ViX 3.0-245) and seems to be fine now.

deleted
31-08-12, 18:14
Did some more reboots with latest vix from today and in my case the problem is still there

punisher
02-09-12, 08:47
Not sure why as ive done countless of late and epg has always been therr, never been this good. ET5K has epg on usb memory stick and uno has epg on HDD

Rob van der Does
02-09-12, 08:51
Not sure why as ive done countless of late and epg has always been therr, never been this good. ET5K has epg on usb memory stick and uno has epg on HDD
This is a known problem and only occurs after a cold boot. Real cold, as the frontpanel (condensators) must be powerless.
It is a time-set problem, not a problem in storing or saving info.

See

http://www.schmidhorst.de/QboxhdEnigma2/NtpDate.html
for some background information. Andy thought to have fixed this, but apparently not 100%.

punisher
02-09-12, 08:52
I used to have trouble with normal reboots or even gui restarts sometimes so for me this is fixed lol will check out the cold reboot as i never switch mine off so never noticed it there