PDA

View Full Version : No lights on ethernet port (gigable box and router)

steve14
01-07-12, 13:46
I can't connect the gigable box to my router. I have tested the ethernet cable with my computer to the router and the cable definitely works. No light comes up on my router and no lights come up on the gigable box either. Is the ethernet port on the gigablue box faulty or is there some setting to turn the ethernet port on the gigable box on?

Sicilian
01-07-12, 14:29
Are you defo using a straight through cable? Does the router have DHCP enabled? Have you tried rebooting the Gigablue? To reboot, hold down power button on the remote, then select restart on screen.

steve14
01-07-12, 14:52
Yes it's a straight through cable, it works when I connect it to my PC and to the router. Cable definitetly works.

Yes router has DHCP enabled. My PC is set to obtain IP automatically and it works. Also I had my friends dreambox attached to the router using the same cable and that worked.

I have tried rebooting the Router a few times.

When I do network test, I get the following results

Lan Adaptor
Lan Connection Green light

Local Network
Disconnected Red light

DHCP
Enabale Green light

IP Address
Unconfirmed Red Light

Name Server
Unconfirmed Red light

steve14
01-07-12, 14:53
Sorry forgot to add that I have rebooted the Gigablue a few times also

Sicilian
01-07-12, 15:06
Is the set to dhcp? Is it getting an IP address in network settings?

steve14
01-07-12, 15:12
gigable is set to dhcp... no it's not getting an IP address.

I'm very good with computers (have been building them for over 10 years and setting up networks etc) When the light does not come on the router when you connect the ethernet cable it usually means the cable is broken or the network card is broken. There is no light on the router and I've check all ports on the router and they all work. There are no lights flashing underneath the ethernet cable on the gigablue either (the two little LED's right underneath all ethernet ports).

Sicilian
01-07-12, 15:14
With the power cable connected and ethernet disconnected are the lights even dimly lit?

basilyoung
01-07-12, 15:18
have you tried setting up the ip of the unit, manually?

steve14
01-07-12, 15:20
Yes tried it manually also... didn't work

steve14
01-07-12, 15:20
Should I ring up world-of-satellite and see what they say?

Sicilian
01-07-12, 15:24
Have you flashed the image at all? Does it have team red image on it?

If so re-flash the Team Red image from here http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?16204-Team-RED-E2-Image-17-02-2012-HD800-SE

How to flash guide http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?16263-How-to-USB-flash-GiGaBlue-HD-800-SE

To flash copy the files in the FINISH ONLY folder to the root of your USB stick, the follow the flashing guide above.

I just checked mine, with ethernet cable disconnected they lights are off, when connected the came on. Try re-flashing and report back.

basilyoung
01-07-12, 15:26
I would be very surprised if the unit is faulty, its more likely a corrupt image

steve14
01-07-12, 15:27
OK will do. It came with the latest Team red image on it, so I just left it.

Also thanks for the help

Sicilian
01-07-12, 15:37
Make sure to are 100% using a straight thru cable and not a crossoever cable.

steve14
01-07-12, 16:29
It is definitely a straight cable... it works with my PC to router.

Sicilian
01-07-12, 16:33
Lets us know what happens after the flash of firmware.

steve14
02-07-12, 08:19
Will do... didn't have a flash drive yesterday... will buy one today

steve14
02-07-12, 14:14
I cannot get the box to flash. Formatted a USB pen drive to FAT32, unzipped the files from the FINISH folder only and did not unzip the vmlinux folder. Put the files on the root of the USB pen drive. First I just powered off the box by the remote, put the USB pen drive in and turned it back on...nothing. Then I powered it off at the wall put the pen drive back in and then powered back on at the wall... nothing. Just turns on like normal. Am I doing something stupid?

Sicilian
02-07-12, 14:40
Try using this HP format tool to format your USB stick http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?45-USB-Format-Tool

steve14
02-07-12, 20:15
OK managed to flash it with a different USB stick. Went through the setup wizard and got to the network bit and it couldn't connect to the internet. The light on the router still does not come on and no lights flash on the gigablue's ethernet port either. Is it time to ring world-of-satellite up and tell them I think I have a faulty box?

steve14
04-07-12, 21:22
The box was faulty. The sponsor is sending me a new one... great customer service :)