PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting Time on VU+ Duo

gab2001uk
27-08-10, 21:11
The time of day on my VU+ Duo has fallen behind by a few minutes and this messes up recording timers as they start late.
How do you adjust the time, or set it to use internet time to keep it running correctly? I have searched all the menus and can't find a setting. I am using OpenPLI image:confused:

grtmoby
27-08-10, 21:15
the only way to adjust time is through the timezone setting and it then pick up the time from the transmission.

a way around this is to set recording to start always before certain amount of minutes (those u r lagging behind) and so it will start recording on time ;)

Donnie
27-08-10, 21:23
You can also adjust the time before and after a recording starts to help with this.

menu > setup > system > customize > select expert here and away you go.

grtmoby
27-08-10, 21:24
You can also adjust the time before and after a recording starts to help with this.

menu > setup > system > customize > select expert here and away you go.

yeah this is what i meant :D

gab2001uk
27-08-10, 22:12
Thanks guys, but the problem is as the time drifts further behind, the problem will get worse. Would it help if it is powered off for a while, and re-started? It is normally on permanently as it is the server for other boxes in the house to share the subscription card.

grtmoby
27-08-10, 22:14
don't think this would make a difference but if u didn't gain u won't loose ;)

gab2001uk
27-08-10, 22:19
I will wait until the missus has finished watching her film and try it out. Could be a late night....

gab2001uk
27-08-10, 22:37
Success!

Did a bit of googling and found the following command via telnet:

date -s YYYY.MM.DD-hh:mm:ss

All I have to do now is write a batchfile or a short VB app to automate the process (cos i am too lazy to type in the command longhand) and it is sorted.

grtmoby
27-08-10, 22:45
Success!

Did a bit of googling and found the following command via telnet:

date -s YYYY.MM.DD-hh:mm:ss

All I have to do now is write a batchfile or a short VB app to automate the process (cos i am too lazy to type in the command longhand) and it is sorted.

copy and paste it ;)

rockerduck
28-08-10, 17:39
Using VTi image is possible to adjust the time synchronizing it with an ntp server

xarqi
28-08-10, 20:50
Grtmoby suggests that by selecting a timezone, the system time will be updated automatically and continuously from the satellite transmission.
a) Is that right? I expect so as I've seen other boxes do this.
b) If so, isn't that the solution to the problem, rather than having to "manually" reset the time when it goes adrift?

gab2001uk
29-08-10, 10:20
The timezone was already set to GMT. I repeated the setting but it did not seem to make any difference. Now that I have found a simple solution I can at least update manually as and when necessary

pooface
29-08-10, 11:15
The timezone was already set to GMT. I repeated the setting but it did not seem to make any difference. Now that I have found a simple solution I can at least update manually as and when necessary

I would be a bit worried though, as to why it is't updating the clock from the transponder... Have you tried restarting the box?! At the end of the restart (when it starts to show the channel), you should get an osd with the channel info, and somewhere on here a time. Usually, this will start off as something like 00:01 or 00:02 (might even show the seconds depending on the skin). Then, within a few seconds (probably 5-10 max), you will get it display the correct current time.

Does this happen?

daddykins
29-04-11, 14:52
I've read this thread and tried the "EXPERT" suggested by Floyd above - but there is no select time option in there...

The 'SELECT TIMEZONE' method mentioned, similarly, has no effect on my time (which is some 25 mins ahead).

Is the TELNET method really the only way to achieve a correct time?

Cheers

D

mbo
01-05-11, 07:17
I had similar problem with provider sending no time/date or bad time/date and sometimes I got year 2000 or so. What I did was to set the box to start always with the same channel (different provider) which has correct time/date send in the stream. But your problem might be different as the time goes out of real time in a period of time. I suppose there should be a way to setup NTP client somehow?

Cheers

Rob van der Does
09-05-11, 14:26
Using VTi image is possible to adjust the time synchronizing it with an ntp server
In ViX as well:
1- install NTPDATE: "opkg install ntpdate"
2- correct time to timeserver: "/usr/bin/ntpdate pool.ntp.org"
2- for timecorrection every 30 minutes, add as cronjob: "30 * * * * /usr/bin/ntpdate -s -u pool.ntp.org"

cbr900
30-05-11, 07:22
In ViX as well:
1- install NTPDATE: "opkg install ntpdate"
2- correct time to timeserver: "/usr/bin/ntpdate pool.ntp.org"
2- for timecorrection every 30 minutes, add as cronjob: "30 * * * * /usr/bin/ntpdate -s -u pool.ntp.org"

Will this be in the next image (GUI) ?

dacorsa
22-10-13, 02:32
Very interesting thread! Thanks

Inviato dal mio Galaxy S3 con Tapatalk 2

Rob van der Does
22-10-13, 05:35
Well, you may find this very old thread interesting, but it has been overtaken by events.
If (in ViX) you go to time-settings you already have the choice between time synchronisation on transponders or via internet.

dacorsa
22-10-13, 11:15
Thanks Ron,

Maybe i will try your image , but now use black hole.
Hope to use soon. Thanks

Unfortunally black hole doesn't adjust time ...

Rob van der Does
22-10-13, 11:18
Thanks Ron,
Rob is the name :confused:

dacorsa
22-10-13, 13:17
Ahhhhh excuse me Rob!

On my image i have add this plugin

http://www.schmidhorst.de/QboxhdEnigma2/NtpDate.html

Rob van der Does
22-10-13, 13:31
That was indeed the option as mentioned in this thread. But nowadays this has been embedded in ViX.