PDA

View Full Version : Moving My Motorised Dish - Looking for advice.

dfdream
23-06-12, 18:08
All,

I have a 1.1 m triax on technomate 2600 behind the house.
Its about 40m of cable to get to the receiver.
There is 1 join and 1 inline amplifier.

Im only getting 50% of the arc so I want to move to the end of the lawn.
It adds about 30m more to the distance and an extra join.

i put on a bit of RG6U the same length and there was a bit of detioration in signal but OK.
Strangely the motor didnt work. It moves from the positioner setup menu or from the button on the motor but thats it.

Motor was fine when I switched it back.

Would a better cable for the 30m bit improve things.
Can I add another inline amplifier.

Any other other solutions that I could consider ???

TK4|2|1
23-06-12, 18:48
You wouldn't have needed an inline amp for 40m cable run, but for 70m yes. Put it at the dish end, not receiver end. Not sure why motor not moving?? did you do a "Goto 0" in the menus to reset things?

Sent from my iThing, using sorcery and the magic interweb.

Conaxthewarrior
24-06-12, 08:24
Don't know if this helps but I once had a random to and fro swing problem on my motor and found out after that a newly installed cable extention (just a few meters) was finley broken such that the inner metal screeing was touching the actual signal wire thus shorting the system and confusing the motor. (Turns out the wife had craked the cable while slamming the back door earlier). Might be an idea to check integrity of your new cabel, it could be damaged.

DixieRay
24-06-12, 09:20
u needs to use something like WF125 cable or the equivalent for that lenth of run, that rg6 is no good and even WF100 or equivalent will struggle at 70metres, get some WF125 cable an make sure you get some WF125 connectors, thays a different size for fitting the cable into the connector to be ok with the extra cable fattness but same size for fittin the box, u wont kneed no amplifiers if you goes for wF125 cable

digi247
24-06-12, 11:55
The difference between WF100 and WF125 is negligible really and for the price is not really worth it, WF100 or TX100 etc.. will do the job fine but you cannot afford to add extensions 1 clean run with minimal bends is ideal.

If your moving it to the end of the lawn and money is no object then you should be looking at WF165 or TX165 Underground if the cable is to be buried as the difference again is only slight but better than the value between 100 and 125.

If your on a budget and you perhaps know someone who works for Virgin media and can get you there cable thats the nearest to WF125 underground and would save you a packet.

DixieRay
24-06-12, 14:06
The difference between WF100 and WF125 is negligible really....

sorry matey but cahnt agree with u on the neglibil difference , u not correct wf125 has 56% more the amout of coper cable carrign signal than that wf100 has cross section area of 0.7855 sqmm and the wf125 has cross section of 1.2273 sqmm, do Ure pie are squares mate for cross section area u got 1.5625 times more area for signal to pump down wth the wf125 that makes big diffo to signal strenghts on long runs on short runs not so important but on 70m run and if sats weak signals that wf125 kick piggins out of wf100 mebbees cost is higher but deffo gice difference on 75m runs

Rob van der Does
24-06-12, 14:14
Sorry: your text is incomprehensible. Could you please use some capitals and punctuation, and a bit less of turbo-language please? And maybe use a spelling-check? Just to make it possible for everyone to enjoy your contribution.

digi247
24-06-12, 15:01
Just to quote i have used both and i stand by what i say the difference is negligible for the price per meter, Tests conducted with a spectrum analyser and the gain is 0.5-1.0db at most

DixieRay
24-06-12, 16:03
Just to quote i have used both and i stand by what i say the difference is negligible for the price per meter, Tests conducted with a spectrum analyser and the gain is 0.5-1.0db at most

what lenth of cable did u use for the test, was it 75metres

that better for u Robin, I got arthritis and often hit wrong ketys, never was much good at english, not much call for it at our school, need a grammer checker to up the grammer?

digi247
24-06-12, 16:11
also have a look at the tests done from another expert

http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/cablespecs.htm

also taking note of the Sat spectrum at 2050mhz

DixieRay
24-06-12, 16:22
also have a look at the tests done from another expert

http://www.satcure.co.uk/tech/cablespecs.htm

also taking note of the Sat spectrum at 2050mhz

looks to me like that the best figure was from the wf125 on that review. mind you, dont relly matter. its up to the OP what way he decides to go when he moves his dish. sorry for dragging this conversation away from your needs OP, hope you get sorted out OK. if it was me i would buy some wf125 off ebay or amazone and use the in one long run, U wont be dissapointed. also i do agree with digi247 that if you can get wf165 or equivalent at low money then deffo go for that but whatever way U go good luck with your installation

Rob van der Does
24-06-12, 17:02
I got arthritis and often hit wrong ketys, never was much good at english, not much call for it at our school, need a grammer checker to up the grammer?
Well, I'm not good either, but I use Firefox with spelling checkers. Works not 100%, but almost.

TK4|2|1
24-06-12, 17:39
Wow arguing over 3db (difference between 70 meters ct100 & 70 meters ct125 at 2150Mhz). Let's put it this way, even a 60cm dish will give you 80+db at 2150Mhz using CT100 you loose approx 22db, leaving 60db, more then enough signal strength. It's the signal quality that matters, adding amps where not needed only introduces noise to the signal.

I've designed, installed and commisioned communal irs systems with 50+ meter runs of CT100 with no problems.

DixieRay
24-06-12, 17:57
I've designed, installed and commisioned communal irs systems with 50+ meter runs of CT100 with no problems.

OP is using a motorised diash so will be moving about to sats. he is not using a fixed dish like most communes would the fixed commune dishes are pointing at strong beams and signals. OP has a run of about 75m if any of his sats or transpondurs are weak or on the edge of the reception at 75m run what cable you use ct100 or ct125, you assuming all sats required by OP are with good quality signal, if they not all good quality signal such as weak transpondurs or on the edge of the shoeprint and you use ct100 on a 75metre run you are in trouble im my opinion especialy on a motorised system

digi247
25-06-12, 01:05
Wow arguing over 3db (difference between 70 meters ct100 & 70 meters ct125 at 2150Mhz). Let's put it this way, even a 60cm dish will give you 80+db at 2150Mhz using CT100 you loose approx 22db, leaving 60db, more then enough signal strength. It's the signal quality that matters, adding amps where not needed only introduces noise to the signal.

Not to get into this too much again but i have experience with IRS as well and what do IRS systems use of course a Distribution AMP with the latter being the operative word, and although i have to admit it Dixieray is spot on 3db on some TP's on certain sats is the be all and end all of actually locking and holding a signal which is pretty useful on a motorised system

Rob van der Does
25-06-12, 04:51
Anyway: 3 dB less means half the signal gets lost.

TK4|2|1
25-06-12, 06:21
Anyway: 3 dB less means half the signal gets lost.

Half signal power, not signal strength.

Any way I was trying to get across that there really isn't much difference between 100 cable and 125 at that distance as some where trying to imply otherwise.
So as I said in my first reply. He will be fine with 70 meters on CT100 just fit the amp ( he already has) at the dish end NOT receiver end.

Rob van der Does
25-06-12, 06:26
Half power power, not signal strength.
Yes: 3 dB loss = 3 dB loss in signalstrength.
But not SNR of course, and that's what counts.

Any way I was trying to get across that there really isn't much difference between 100 cable and 125 at that distance as some where trying to imply otherwise.
That's correct.

DixieRay
25-06-12, 12:25
there really isn't much difference between 100 cable and 125 at that distance

there plenty difference if U using motorised dish on week transpondirs and you are getting poor shoeprint from the satellite it can be the difference between getting pictures and not. them amplifiers are ok for strong signals from the satellite but if you got weak transponders and poor shoeprint them amplifiers amlify the noise as well they not selective on signal only they amplify noise. to the OP good luck with waht U decide, if you are trying to get week transpondirs or on the edge of the shoeprint or got some trees leafes in the way all that can lessen signal then that ct100 aint no good at 75m, it might work but its risky for weaker signals

TK4|2|1
25-06-12, 14:56
there plenty difference if U using motorised dish on week transpondirs and you are getting poor shoeprint from the satellite it can be the difference between getting pictures and not. them amplifiers are ok for strong signals from the satellite but if you got weak transponders and poor shoeprint them amplifiers amlify the noise as well they not selective on signal only they amplify noise. to the OP good luck with waht U decide, if you are trying to get week transpondirs or on the edge of the shoeprint or got some trees leafes in the way all that can lessen signal then that ct100 aint no good at 75m, it might work but its risky for weaker signals

And you fail to read what I wrote correctly. I'll say it again. There really is no difference between 70m CT100 and 70m CT125.
I never mentioned using it on a motorized system, just merely stating a fact.

Rob van der Does
25-06-12, 15:57
I fail to see what the 'motorized' aspect has to do with signal-loss.

DixieRay
25-06-12, 16:06
And you fail to read what I wrote correctly. I'll say it again. There really is no difference between 70m CT100 and 70m CT125.
I never mentioned using it on a motorized system, just merely stating a fact.
and u fail to understand the requirements of the OP in the scenes of the Op there is a diffrence, u needs to recognise that ct125 sneds more signal dow the pipe than ct100, my comments are relating directyl to the needs of the OP on a motorise sustem where there mite be week transponders and poor shoeprints, no worries for me no skins of my nostrils waht the OP does, jsutwant him to have info to descide

DixieRay
25-06-12, 16:11
I fail to see what the 'motorized' aspect has to do with signal-loss.motorise is likeli to come across week transponders and edge of shoeprint satellites ore than a fixed dish pointing at a fat beam. better 125 cable might get some signals on motorised that 100ct will not. no skins off my nostril OC can use whatever cable no worries for me

Rob van der Does
25-06-12, 16:27
motorise is likeli to come across week transponders and edge of shoeprint satellites ore than a fixed dish pointing at a fat beam.
OK, so motorized has indeed nothing to do with it. Would be the same when pointing a fixed dish at the same satellite.

DixieRay
25-06-12, 18:59
OK, so motorized has indeed nothing to do with it. Would be the same when pointing a fixed dish at the same satellite.

OP has motorised sytem and has big chance to come across week signals and low shoeprint sats OP has more chance of week signals than if fixed dish and motorised has everything to do with it. anyways, why they make ct125 if it only same as ct100 nobodies buy it if it only same but more euros. everyone includin whistler and his mama knows ct125 carries more signal than ct100, u beleive waht U want: me and whstler and his mama believes ct125 best

Rob van der Does
25-06-12, 19:22
LOL, so indeed the 'motorized' aspect has nothing to do with the signal loss.
And of course: if a signal gets below the noise, there will be no picture, whatever which dish is being used.

DixieRay
25-06-12, 22:15
LOL, so indeed the 'motorized' aspect has nothing to do with the signal loss.
And of course: if a signal gets below the noise, there will be no picture, whatever which dish is being used.

signal more likely below noise with ct100 compared with ct125 for weak sinal and poor shoeprints, u not answer question, why make ct125 if it no better than ct100 ? methinks i am right ct125 is better than ct100 otherwize no reason to make it unless for scoobies

dfdream
09-07-12, 12:55
Just a little question.

I can get 100m of WF125 for £75 or 100m of CT125 locally for €70. Are they both the same spec wise.

Ta

digi247
09-07-12, 13:57
Just a little question.

I can get 100m of WF125 for £75 or 100m of CT125 locally for €70. Are they both the same spec wise.

Ta

Both the same Different Brands thats all