PDA

View Full Version : Need a new linux hd box

jas95aero
18-06-12, 17:23
Hi guys currently have a vu+duo (since launch) and a tm9100s (since launch)

Also have played with clone dm800hd as family has them

Am looking to replace my tm9100s as now have full hd tv in bedroom

Don't require twin twiner (if cheap enough may consider) but like it to be Linux and updated like my other boxes and can have a hdd inside (pref 3.5" but not essential)

Seen there are loads of new boxes now but not sure what ones are any good and have good support.

Any recommendations and views welcome

Sicilian
18-06-12, 17:26
I'd really consider the GiGablue HD800SE http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Digital-Satellite-Receivers/Gigablue-HD-Linux-Enigma-2-Satellite-Receivers/GiGaBlue-HD-800-SE-HD800SE-Digital-Satellite-Receiver-Linux-Enigma-2-1x-DVB-S-S2 Fantastic receiver for the money. Only thing it hasn't got is internal HDD, although you can use a USB HDD, I use a 2.5 pocket HDD with mine, works great. Runs Enigma 2 very well as its Boradcom MIPS CPU powered.

jas95aero
18-06-12, 19:15
I'd really consider the GiGablue HD800SE http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Digital-Satellite-Receivers/Gigablue-HD-Linux-Enigma-2-Satellite-Receivers/GiGaBlue-HD-800-SE-HD800SE-Digital-Satellite-Receiver-Linux-Enigma-2-1x-DVB-S-S2 Fantastic receiver for the money. Only thing it hasn't got is internal HDD, although you can use a USB HDD, I use a 2.5 pocket HDD with mine, works great. Runs Enigma 2 very well as its Boradcom MIPS CPU powered.

how do these compare to the dm800 as similar priced (clone) could use a usb flash i guess cheap enough as dont record a lot in bedroom

Sicilian
18-06-12, 19:35
Well these are a 100% genuine receiver with their own developed drivers and support. Above all you get a full UK warranty, unlike the cheap Chinese clones.

jas95aero
18-06-12, 19:55
Well these are a 100% genuine receiver with their own developed drivers and support. Above all you get a full UK warranty, unlike the cheap Chinese clones.

i mean more like layout ease of updating using plugins and cams etc

Maxwell
18-06-12, 20:00
We have no idea what clones can do as we dont support them here, the sponsor only deals in genuine boxes. The Gigablue works fine with cams and compatable plugins are very much image dependent as is the ease of use

Larry-G
18-06-12, 20:01
i mean more like layout ease of updating using plugins and cams etc

Thats squarely down to the image used, The best of the current images available for the gigablue line is the team red image which is very similar to the Black hole images on the Vu receivers.

jas95aero
18-06-12, 20:06
Thats squarely down to the image used, The best of the current images available for the gigablue line is the team red image which is very similar to the Black hole images on the Vu receivers.
ok thats great also with the giga blue hybrid can you go for 2 DVB-S/S2 rather than one sat and one DVB-C/T ?

Larry-G
18-06-12, 20:11
ok thats great also with the giga blue hybrid can you go for 2 DVB-S/S2 rather than one sat and one DVB-C/T ?

no as far as i know the DVB-C/T tuner is a fixed tuner and can not be swapped out, only the DVB-S2 tuner can be swapped out.

Larry-G
18-06-12, 20:19
actually after looking at the specs it seems i was wrong.

1x DVB-S Sat Tuner built-in
1x Hybrid Tuner (DVB-C & DVB-T) Plug & Play (Optional)

so by that the sat tuner is fixed with the ability to add a ( optional ) plug and play DVB-C/T tuner, although i dont think you can replace that with another DVB-S2 tuner. I may yet be wrong again maybe the sponsor could clear that up for you ?.

jas95aero
18-06-12, 20:40
actually after looking at the specs it seems i was wrong.

1x DVB-S Sat Tuner built-in
1x Hybrid Tuner (DVB-C & DVB-T) Plug & Play (Optional)

so by that the sat tuner is fixed with the ability to add a ( optional ) plug and play DVB-C/T tuner, although i dont think you can replace that with another DVB-S2 tuner. I may yet be wrong again maybe the sponsor could clear that up for you ?.

thats what i was thinking can you add a dvb-s to make it twin?

jas95aero
18-06-12, 21:32
any other boxes that fall into this category?

Rob van der Does
18-06-12, 21:52
any other boxes that fall into this category?
A UNO with a built-in DVB-T/C tuner (or a built in DVB-S2 tuner and an USB DVB-T(2) tuner) and 2.5"or 3.5" HDD and running ViX.

jas95aero
18-06-12, 22:04
yeah i did consider them but bit pricey?

jas95aero
23-06-12, 16:22
ok guys so how does the vu+ solo compare to the gagablue 800 hd se and icecrypt 3500hd?

Sicilian
24-06-12, 10:03
Solo and Gigablue pretty similar specs, the icecrypt is not linux from what I understand. Personally wouldn't hesitate for the Gigablue HD800SE, with the forum members discount you'll get it for £144 ;)