PDA

View Full Version : Please recommend Linux Box

DixieRay
18-06-12, 16:56
hi, after lodes of problems with dreambox decided to buy anothe box can anyone please help me choose box. all i need is 1 tuner and not need any HD. a single tuner SD box with linix for lan port and filezillas ftp is all inedd but preferably with nice remote without very small buttons. what is recommended for me please i see that there is eagle box and open box and one called skybox also blades do a box any good value in these? thx

Sicilian
18-06-12, 17:00
All the receivers you mentioned are not linux receivers. To be honest with you though, for the price of a SD receiver you might as well buy HD.

A good linux SD receiver with superb PQ is the TM500 Super http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Technomate-TM500-Super

Personally I'd recommend the GiGablue HD800SE http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Digital-Satellite-Receivers/Gigablue-HD-Linux-Enigma-2-Satellite-Receivers/GiGaBlue-HD-800-SE-HD800SE-Digital-Satellite-Receiver-Linux-Enigma-2-1x-DVB-S-S2

DixieRay
18-06-12, 17:03
All the receivers you mentioned are not linux receivers. To be honest with you though, for the price of a SD receiver you might as well buy HD.

A good linux SD receiver with superb PQ is the TM500 Super http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Technomate-TM500-Super

Personally I'd recommend the GiGablue HD800SE http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Digital-Satellite-Receivers/Gigablue-HD-Linux-Enigma-2-Satellite-Receivers/GiGaBlue-HD-800-SE-HD800SE-Digital-Satellite-Receiver-Linux-Enigma-2-1x-DVB-S-S2wow, rapidos reply, thx shows how much i know about sats stuff didnot know they were non linux boxes!! , that tm500 sounds ok, jist checked your web pages and it is the price i can afford as i need to keep the cost down and the use will deffo be only sd no hd use at all so no point spending cash on HD.

Sicilian
18-06-12, 17:05
You wont got wrong with the TM500 Super, great quality rock solid receiver and excellent SD PQ.

DixieRay
18-06-12, 17:16
with this tm500S will i be able to let a friend connect to the box to load up some channels and lists for watching tv? as ia am not much cop with this stuff i have pal who will load files onto the box in my house from his computer in his house is this box ok for that that is one of the reasons for linux box for the filexillas and ftp? does the channel uploads work from one place to another on the internet?

Sicilian
18-06-12, 17:18
with this tm500S will i be able to let a friend connect to the box to load up some channels and lists for watching tv? as ia am not much cop with this stuff i have pal who will load files onto the box in my house from his computer in his house is this box ok for that that is one of the reasons for linux box for the filexillas and ftp? does the channel uploads work from one place to another on the internet?

It can do what you want it do but we do not discuss CS talk here, we are not that kind of forum.

Larry-G
18-06-12, 17:20
The TM500 is a enigma 1 based receiver so yes it can be setup to do what you want. I my self have two TM600's ( upgraded version of the TM500 ) and there great receivers but they are very limited image wise, personally i'd say go with the Gigablue it is a better receiver all round and being Enigma 2 based you will get far more longterm support image wise.

DixieRay
18-06-12, 17:22
It can do what you want it do but we do not discuss CS talk here, we are not that kind of forum.no it is not for CS, i know we not discussing them topics here sorry for any misunderstanding, it is not for lines it is realy just to load channel lists and transponders and not them cam files - sorry, deffo was not asking dodget stuff

DixieRay
18-06-12, 17:23
The TM500 is a enigma 1 based receiver so yes it can be setup to do what you want. I my self have two TM600's ( upgraded version of the TM500 ) and there great receivers but they are very limited image wise, personally i'd say go with the Gigablue it is a better receiver all round and being Enigma 2 based you will get far more longterm support image wise.is gigablue SD version or only HD, as i do not need the hd part then no pint stumping up dosh for it> also I am not needing any fancy images or wanting to change them inmages just something to get tv easy

Sicilian
18-06-12, 17:24
is gigablue SD version or only HD, as i do not need the hd part then no pint stumping up dosh for it>

Only HD model, well worth the extra cash though.

Larry-G
18-06-12, 17:29
is gigablue SD version or only HD, as i do not need the hd part then no pint stumping up dosh for it> also I am not needing any fancy images or wanting to change them inmages just something to get tv easy

as pointed out the gigablue is a HD receiver but it is worth it to spend that little bit more because Enigma 1 support is almost non-existent now a days. even simple things like having a 7day EPG is very hit and miss with enigma 1 receivers.

DixieRay
18-06-12, 17:41
as pointed out the gigablue is a HD receiver but it is worth it to spend that little bit more because Enigma 1 support is almost non-existent now a days. even simple things like having a 7day EPG is very hit and miss with enigma 1 receivers.thx for the info, thing is i am a bit skint and not needing a 7 day epguide or HD so just a basic linux box is all i need if it lets my pal upload channel settings/transponders and gives and sd picture then thats it for me not need no enighma2 or change of images just something that will turn on, sit under telly and give me some channels. I know you guys are like gurus with these boxes but i just need a 20 year old ford fiests not a mercedes speedster with all trimmings. thx for help this forum is great very helpful guys.

Larry-G
18-06-12, 17:48
thx for the info, thing is i am a bit skint and not needing a 7 day epguide or HD so just a basic linux box is all i need if it lets my pal upload channel settings/transponders and gives and sd picture then thats it for me not need no enighma2 or change of images just something that will turn on, sit under telly and give me some channels. I know you guys are like gurus with these boxes but i just need a 20 year old ford fiests not a mercedes speedster with all trimmings. thx for help this forum is great very helpful guys.

I'm not nocking E1 receivers I still have four of them my self with which are in regular use, but as i said be aware that support for the Enigma 1 platform is now dwindling and almost none existent so dont expect any fixes or new features to arrive any time soon if ever. If all you want is a receiver to watch TV on then the TM 500 / TM 600 are exceptionally good quality receivers.

Stanman
18-06-12, 20:51
Buying an E1 box is a waste of money, you might not need it now but paying for an E1 now will mean you will be stuck with it for the future as there will likely be no buyers for it.

With the move to HD tellys SD is slowly dying.

Rob van der Does
19-06-12, 05:46
...... but i just need a 20 year old ford fiesta not a mercedes speedster with all trimmings......
Than you shouldn't be looking for a new box, but a second hand one :confused:

Going for a new box means never buy an Enigma1 receiver; as stated above there's no support, no development and SD-TV is dying indeed. And the price-difference is negligible.

DixieRay
19-06-12, 15:36
Than you shouldn't be looking for a new box, but a second hand one :confused:

Going for a new box means never buy an Enigma1 receiver; as stated above there's no support, no development and SD-TV is dying indeed. And the price-difference is negligible.

yeah second hand cheap box will do for me. all i have is 36inch big telly with tube so no hds required thats waht I have been saying. I never asked for brand spanker new linux box but 2nd hand box is fine for me. ichecked out the for sale but no cheap tm decoders. sorry for the cofusion to you gurus i understand if it is absolute brand spaker new then not the get e1 box but an e2 box but for my tube telly and skint a cheape e1 box with linus is all i need. mebbees there will be a cheapy one come up on the for sale seciton soon/ not sure about sd dying waht about all the grannies wiv their old tv sets, govuk will not risk losing the grannies vote and there is plent of sd stuff enough for me it will be years before some of these channels stop sd. i will keep checking the sales section for cheapo linux e1 box

Sicilian
19-06-12, 15:38
The TM500Super new is only £74, so whats the point of buying second hand?

DixieRay
19-06-12, 15:42
The TM500Super new is only £74, so whats the point of buying second hand? i take it you aint ever been skint, i'm down to the bones of my ar** at the mo, pink lint aint got a thing on me, the gutter is high from where i am lookin financially speakin

Dave-H
19-06-12, 16:02
Hope this doesn't break any rules, apologies if it does.

I had a TM600 in the for sale section for a while but closed the thread as i decided to keep it, but i would be willing to sell.

I'll put it back in the for sale section if you're interested (or maybe the mods can resurect the old one?),

DixieRay
19-06-12, 16:06
Hope this doesn't break any rules, apologies if it does.

I had a TM600 in the for sale section for a while but closed the thread as i decided to keep it, but i would be willing to sell.

I'll put it back in the for sale section if you're interested (or maybe the mods can resurect the old one?),yes that sounds like it would do for me probably best to talk abouy it in the sales section just to keep thngs sweet by the regulations?

Maxwell
19-06-12, 16:08
yes that sounds like it would do for me probably best to talk abouy it in the sales section just to keep thngs sweet by the regulations?

just make a Wanted thread in the sales section

Dave-H
19-06-12, 16:11
yes that sounds like it would do for me probably best to talk abouy it in the sales section just to keep thngs sweet by the regulations?

Ok, i'll dig it out take some pics and re-post in for sale section, be on in the next hour or so...

Sicilian
19-06-12, 16:17
Ok, i'll dig it out take some pics and re-post in for sale section, be on in the next hour or so...

Keep all that in the trading section.

Rob van der Does
19-06-12, 18:14
.... not sure about sd dying waht about all the grannies wiv their old tv sets, govuk will not risk losing the grannies vote and there is plent of sd stuff enough for me it will be years before some of these channels stop sd. i will keep checking the sales section for cheapo linux e1 box
LOL, did the recent dying of analogue TV hurt the 'grannies'?
And you don't need a new TV to watch an HD-channel.

DixieRay
19-06-12, 18:31
LOL, did the recent dying of analogue TV hurt the 'grannies'?
And you don't need a new TV to watch an HD-channel. my 36inch toshiba telly with a tube aint no good for hd tv and i am strapped for cash to buy a flat screen telly, we got three tellys in our gaff all with tubes, they all going strong. yes, lots of grannies were done up like a kipper with the end of analogue thats why there was all them adverts on the telly with the nice digital man sorting the granny out with a freeby box to keep her going. no way are they gonna give the grannies new flat screen telly this time round it was a good deal last time for the grannies, cup of tea for an digital box, illl have some of that for a telly, where's me kettle...!!

Rob van der Does
20-06-12, 04:09
OK, my last reply:
1- for HD-TV you don't need a new TV; plays well on a CRT as well;
2- many SD-channels, both new and old, go to MPEG4 (for bandwidth reasons); to be able to watch them you'll need an HD-box.
After all: why do you think everybody tries to sell his old SD (enigma1)box?

pooface
20-06-12, 12:52
Dixie, here's that thread created by Dave ;)

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?19021-Technomate-TM600