PDA

View Full Version : How to flash your VU+Duo with RS232 and LAN

Sicilian
22-03-10, 20:13
As the title, How to flash your VU+Duo with RS232 and LAN.

Download the VuUtil HERE (http://www.vuplus-support.co.uk/showthread.php?18-VU-Utility-and-guide-for-usage-of-the-VuUtility)

See attached PDF for guide how to use.

pege63
28-05-10, 13:26
This is by the with RS232 port, but how about LAN way?
Hoiw to flash when LAN is used, how get to the LAN flash mode?
Is i same way when you want to flash in LAN mode a DM800HD, push the front button?

Sicilian
28-05-10, 14:20
This is by the with RS232 port, but how about LAN way?
Hoiw to flash when LAN is used, how get to the LAN flash mode?
Is i same way when you want to flash in LAN mode a DM800HD, push the front button?

LAN alone is not possible.

pege63
28-05-10, 14:55
Hmm thats a lost

grtmoby
28-05-10, 15:47
Hmm thats a lost

y a loss, u got the usb and rs232

wobbler
03-06-10, 13:01
I still have the Serial cable that I had to use on the odd occasion that I killed the Dreambox, but this is a 'null modem cable' (ie the Tx and Rx are reversed), can it be confirmed that this is no good for the Vu+ and just a normal serial cable is needed?
Thanks

Sicilian
03-06-10, 13:02
I still have the Serial cable that I had to use on the odd occasion that I killed the Dreambox, but this is a 'null modem cable' (ie the Tx and Rx are reversed), can it be confirmed that this is no good for the Vu+ and just a normal serial cable is needed?
Thanks

Same cable ;)

parkher
11-08-10, 21:13
Still too ambiguous for me.
The last question and answer.

In the pdf, it says "serial cable", not "null-model cable".
So is it null-modem cable or regular serial cable?
If it is really null-modem cable, then this pdf has to be fixed.

Just answer:
null-modem
or
regular serial

Another question. In the pdf it says "Click Connect Button", and then look for the message "Serial port open success. Please turn on your box"
Is it really possible to have a "serial port open success" while the box is turned off completely?
Unless the success is only with the port at the PC's end.
And if standby mode is needed, then it might not be possible to put the box into it, if there is an emergency when the box appears to be dead.

grtmoby
11-08-10, 21:17
null modem cable

box is switched off and not on standby

parkher
11-08-10, 22:36
Thanks.

Turns out, my message was too short to post....

pooface
12-08-10, 09:57
Also, remember that you only need to use this method if either you don't have a usb (very unlikely :p), or your box image has become corrupt, as well as the bootloader.

In 99.9999% of the time, you will be able to flash using the usb cable. There will only be rare occurences when the usb booting will not work. Also, if usb booting doesn't work, then it's worth trying to remove all other usb devices (and maybe even all other cables to the box), just leaving the front usb port connected...

parkher
23-08-10, 14:05
Yes, thanks, I understand.
It's just that when I got my Duo, I had only one usb stick at home and it did not work (works with Octagon SF918 HD, though), and I also have a null-modem cable.
But the next day I got some more usb sticks, and they all worked fine - in front and in back - no difference.
So far, null-modem cable not needed.

jas
11-01-11, 09:49
Hi

I have vix1.1 on solo and had some problems with it. Tried to flash with the same image again via usb and did not work, keep starting instead of flashing.

Then i reset the settings to factory it worked and updated through software manager, but after restarting it keep saying VU SOLO starting and not going anywhere from that screen.

What do i need to do? please help

Thanks

Sicilian
11-01-11, 10:07
Hi

I have vix1.1 on solo and had some problems with it. Tried to flash with the same image again via usb and did not work, keep starting instead of flashing.

Then i reset the settings to factory it worked and updated through software manager, but after restarting it keep saying VU SOLO starting and not going anywhere from that screen.

What do i need to do? please help

Thanks

Answered here http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?5435-Vu-Solo-Not-starting-Help&p=42190&viewfull=1#post42190

Please keep your questions to one topic. Next time maybe start a topic of you own with a question.

Thanks.

jas
11-01-11, 10:34
thanks, appriciate your help

shuggy
11-01-11, 11:15
make sure you dont have any usb sticks or external drives in the back usb ports as this will stop it flashing

ynwa
20-04-11, 22:22
How do you flash this way, when you dont have an *.nfi image? Couldnt flash when changing file type to jffs2

silverfox0786
20-04-11, 23:02
nfi files are also available for most images and defo for vix

just use vuutil

pedigree
13-01-12, 00:28
Hi,
It looks like I need to flash my box using the vu utility, my problem is that my current laptop does not have a serial port. I it possible to use a usb cable.
Thanks
Pedigree

Sandman
13-01-12, 00:47
Hi,
It looks like I need to flash my box using the vu utility, my problem is that my current laptop does not have a serial port. I it possible to use a usb cable.
Thanks
Pedigree

You could pick up a USB to serial connector on eBay!

Rob van der Does
13-01-12, 07:35
It looks like I need to flash my box using the vu utility...
Can you explain to us why it looks that way?

pedigree
15-01-12, 22:04
Hi Rob.
False alarm, It was a friends box that I thought I had bricked by auto updating without having installed the latest Bootloader.
The box is ok now.
Thanks for the reply.

Rodbouy
15-01-12, 23:17
Hi,

I have tried this method and it gets to step 5 erasing flash 60% with continuing on the box display.

But it was like that for 20 min and no change.

The utility didnt even register that I had removed the null modem cable.

tagteam3283
19-01-12, 23:57
try flashing the USB as FAt, not FAT32

tinker
29-06-13, 10:07
Hi all. My problem is that I installed flash expander from the download site, install correctly and running off my 32g pen drive. Problem now is when I come to re flash via USB it won't recognize the stick and just boots normally. Is there a way to uninstall flash expander to cure this? Thanks

Larry-G
29-06-13, 10:16
what exact image are you using ?.

and for the record there is no way to flash a Vu+ receiver via LAN, RS232 yes with a .nfi format image but not lan.

Rob van der Does
29-06-13, 11:27
FlashExpander is only useful for people knowing their way around Linux.
And there's no way you can de-install it: flashing the box is the only way to do so.

I would advise to format the stick again in FAT32 to be able to use it for flashing an image.

Gulliver
18-05-15, 07:07
As the title, How to flash your VU+Duo with RS232 and LAN.

Download the VuUtil HERE (http://www.vuplus-support.co.uk/showthread.php?18-VU-Utility-and-guide-for-usage-of-the-VuUtility)

See attached PDF for guide how to use.

the 'HERE' link is not working.