PDA

View Full Version : Marusys demonstrated PrismCube at Anga Cable

Rob van der Does
14-06-12, 05:50
As you may remember, on last years Anga Cable VU+ announced they would be working on a complete new operating system for STB's, called XMBC for STB's, and they revealed their 'XMBC4STB roadmap'. If you forgot about it: it's attached.

At the present Anga Marusys, the mother-company of VU+, has presented their first public demonstration of XMBC4STB on a hardwareline called PrismCube. Some more information can be found on the prismcube's website, see:
http://prismcube.com/.
A video of the demonstration:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Y37XPG5grbo

I don't know what you think about this, but in my opinion this looks very promising: a complete new way of operating a MediaCenter & Satellite-TV!

Maxwell
14-06-12, 07:04
Looks very good which is more than can be said for the receiver, what a horrible casing that is.

Rob van der Does
14-06-12, 07:07
... what a horrible casing that is.
Hmmmm, let's agree to disagree on that one. Aesthetics/cosmetics will never be universal.
But I presume this to be a prototype. And anyway: I'm more interested in the inseide than in the outside.

Larry-G
14-06-12, 07:31
ahh yes but most people care just as much about the outside as the inside and frankly good looking products sell far better than ugly ones.

OldSkulRide
14-06-12, 07:42
Video could be better. She is mainly showing features of XBMC which we already know. Its should be all about new TV part of XBMC.

twol
14-06-12, 08:07
Well if this combines the facilities of my ET9200 and the media playing abilities of my HDI Dune, I will certainly be looking at this box regardless of what it looks like :D

Rob van der Does
14-06-12, 08:12
Well if this combines the facilities of my ET9200 and the media playing abilities of my HDI Dune, I will certainly be looking at this box regardless of what it looks like :D
That's what I mean.
And as all devices are always hidden in my cupboard, the looks of a box are the last of my worries (after all I also have that very ugly looking DUO....).

Trial
14-06-12, 08:25
Hi,
I am also interested in this Box. In two of my rooms I have 1*Ultimo+1*Zacate-XBMC and in one room a HDI Dune Prime 3 as well. It could replace some boxes for me if it works good.

ciao

Rob van der Does
14-06-12, 15:31
And a couple of screenshots:

markus625
16-06-12, 21:38
That lady in the youtube clip is one cool chick, I think she knows just as much as us guys.

But ive been using VUclient on my xbmc machine to watch content from my vuduo but i still think Vix is a more friendlier gui with many different options to get info about what we are watching etc, yes xbmc is cool with a fancy gui etc but its pvr capabilities are quite small compared to what we have at the moment.

Rob van der Does
16-06-12, 21:51
I think it's early days yet to judge XMBC4STB.
But indeed: Enigma2 has a lot to offer and has proven sustainability. It will be a long way for any other system to come that far.

markus625
17-06-12, 00:07
Well xbmc has dropped pvr in there next xbmc.12 aka frodo as it wont officially be supported, plus XBMC4STB would need alot of skin development by JezzX to get pvr as good as we currently have.

judge
17-06-12, 00:10
I do like the look of XBMC but prefer the look & less button clicks of VIX anyday...

Rob van der Does
17-06-12, 05:44
It's not just dvr, there's so much functionality that is already in Enigma2 and not *yet) in XMBC. As skin would be the very least of my worries, it's functionality that counts.

markus625
17-06-12, 12:33
id personally like enigma and xbmc on one machine but maybe a dual boot perhaps.

Rob van der Does
17-06-12, 20:30
id personally like enigma and xbmc on one machine but maybe a dual boot perhaps.
I don't think it's useful to compare the two as long as XMBC4STB is not usable. And even than it will take a long time before all will work as good as it does in E2 and plugins are available.

Rob van der Does
12-06-13, 11:19
Have a look at

http://azboxnews.blogspot.nl/2013/06/prismcube-xbmc-has-launched.html

twol
12-06-13, 14:51
I don't think it's useful to compare the two as long as XMBC4STB is not usable. And even than it will take a long time before all will work as good as it does in E2 and plugins are available.
Might give the media players (Dune, Popcorn, Mede8er) a run for their money, but I think it will depend on how user friendly and adaptable the boxes firmware/software will be.

If I could merge my Enigma2 boxes with my Dune media players, I would be pretty happy to pay for a new box, but I would need a lot of convincing to jump for this box at €400

rossi2000
12-06-13, 16:42
will wos be stocking these? :)

Johev
09-07-13, 12:18
Hi Rob thank you so much for sharing that link, I was searching for more information on the prismcube aka ruby and finally something encouraging. My father just bought the vu+ solo2, and I have been waiting for this baby to invest in a new receiver.

I just hope it works well, and that VU+ keeps updating the XBMC with the new versions that will be coming out. With every release it gets so much better I just hope it won't be 1 version of XBMC, with just some bug fixes. Time will tell ;)

Rob van der Does
09-07-13, 12:39
It's not VU+ that is developing PrismCube, it's Marusys (the mother company of VU+).

duoduo
23-09-13, 12:13
Thanks for your valuable knowledge and input on this thread guys, just been doing some reading on this today and looks like it will be rolled out sometime next month. As previously mentioned if this box can adapt everything we can currently do on VU+'s (via VIX) as well as what is availabe from XBMC i think i would be in technology heaven lol..

Rob van der Does
23-09-13, 12:29
.... and looks like it will be rolled out sometime next month.
The box has been for sale already for some time. So you can already read the users comments and questions.

..... if this box can adapt everything we can currently do on VU+'s (via VIX) as well as ...
It sure can't. This is a low end box with only basic functionality.
Take e.g. the fact that you can record two channels as a maximum, and that all more then the first recorded channel will not be decrypted.

And for a good reason: it took years for E2 to become as mature and flexible as it is nowadays. You really can't expect a new born baby to do the same.

Larry-G
23-09-13, 12:35
There is quite a large thread on the blackhole forum where users are posting and largely complaining about prismcube, as they all expect something on par with the Duo2 which it certainly is not.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

Rob van der Does
23-09-13, 12:54
And looking at the GiT for PrismCube: there have been no updates for months. For a box that jut hit the market this sounds alarming!

duoduo
23-09-13, 14:28
Thanks guys I trust your opinion.

Larry-G
23-09-13, 15:26
Thanks guys I trust your opinion.

Don't let me put you off mate, just remember this is the first generation of this box and it can only get better from here. personally id hold off for a year and see what develops before parting with cash. That said if you buy now by the time the second and third generations hit the shelves you'll be our resident prismcube expert.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

neo29200
16-12-13, 15:48
after BH support what do you think about this box?

Larry-G
16-12-13, 17:23
never used one to be honest but i'd want a bit more than just two images supporting it before i parted with cash for one.

Rob van der Does
16-12-13, 21:35
The PrismCube is for a completely different market then Enigma boxes.
Being used to an E2-box I can assure you that you don't want a PrismCube.