PDA

View Full Version : Ultimo HDD Constantly Spinning

Daytona
13-06-12, 06:11
I wonder if someone can advise:
Just realised that my HDD does not go to sleep and I can also hear it spinning when STB is in standby.http://www.world-of-satellite.com/images/smilies/confused1.gif

Running VIX 2.4 (151) and HDD setting is sleep after 2 mins.
WD Caviar Blue 1Tb WD10EALX installed, mounted and working normally for record and playback.

Any advice would be very much appreciated.

Thanks

Maxwell
13-06-12, 06:34
do you have timeshift enabled or are Debug logs on and set to the HDD what are your Picon and EPG locations ?

Larry-G
13-06-12, 06:41
Do you have debug logging activated and set to hdd ?. as that would stop the hdd going to sleep.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk 2

Daytona
13-06-12, 07:22
Thanks Maxwell and Pheonix for the rapid response:
Timeshift and debug logs are disabled. Debug logs is set to home/root
Picons and epg are on USB
I must say that this has been happening for some time and certainly before updating to build 151.
Noticed it in the dead of night and traced the noise to the STB

Can you recommend anything else that could cause this ?

Thanks

Maxwell
13-06-12, 07:23
You sure its HDD and not the fan ?

Daytona
13-06-12, 07:32
I am sure it's the HDD. My fan only comes on when I boot up and the HDD spinning is quieter.
The HDD is also running in standby and only off when STB fully powered down.
Maybe it's an issue with the HDD, but having said that it is only 2 months old ?

Rob van der Does
13-06-12, 07:34
Just for the record: EPG on HDD will never wake up the HDD.
If spin-up occurs during standby also PTS and Picons can't be the reason (as they will not be used during standby).

Trial
13-06-12, 07:58
Hi,
it can still be the fan. When you boot it runs at full speed and then goes to working speed. When working speed is to high you might hear a bit. In the settings there is a setup for manual fan control. For a test disable it or turn PWM value down a bit.

The test if it is hdd or fan should be quite simple. Go to the box and press PVR then the hdd should start and this should be a difference. There is also a delay when opening the movie list and the hdd is sleeping.

ciao

Daytona
13-06-12, 15:58
Guys,

Many thanks for your responses.
@Trial I did as you suggested and it is in fact the fan.
I have reduced the PWM which I assume relates to speed but why does the fan still continue running when in standby ?. FAN OFF in standby is selected in settings.
Thanks

Rob van der Does
13-06-12, 16:04
In standby the fan still runs if a recording is going on. And I presume also when the temperature is getting too high (not sure about that though).
Ans PWM shouldn't be set too high: it is used as a starting point, from which the controller starts to regulate the fan-speed (higher and lower).

pooface
13-06-12, 21:05
On my ultimo, I had a weird anomaly, where the fan would spin really loud! Played with fan control settings, and it would stop the noise, for about 20 mins, and then start again. Powered box off all night and the following day. Turned it on, and not had a problem since. Can hardly hear the fan in normal operation, so wonder if might be worth a go for you?! (altho I do not say this will stop it happening, just worth a try?!)

Daytona
13-06-12, 21:19
Thanks to Rob & all.
I have set the PWM down to 90 but the fan still runs in standby and this is without any recording. Can I go lower than PWM of 90 ?
What I do not understand is that even though the setting is fan off in standby it still runs and this occurs hours after going into standby.

Rob van der Does
13-06-12, 21:34
Don't set PWM too low: it needs to be high enough for the fan to be able to startup.

Daytona
13-06-12, 21:43
Thanks very much for that pooface I will give it a go

jamie-warez
19-06-12, 03:01
Thare is a small bug on the fan control plugin that keeps the fan running even in standby.
Mine is the same with VIX 2.4 i have my fan on full speed all the time and canr here it... My old Fujitsu HDD is a lots moore noisy!

Rob van der Does
19-06-12, 05:19
Thare is a small bug on the fan control plugin that keeps the fan running even in standby.
Mine is the same with VIX 2.4 i have my fan on full speed all the time and canr here it...
Hmmm, I'm not aware of that. Which fan-control plugin are you using?

Daytona
19-06-12, 07:07
Hi Rob, for info despite tweaking the PWM as suggested my fan continued to run in standby with VIX 2.4 Fan Control (no recording).
Last night I installed Fan Control2 from the plugin feed and now no fan running in standby :-)

Rob van der Does
19-06-12, 08:16
So problem solved?

Daytona
19-06-12, 09:43
Yes thanks problem is solved and fan behaves as instructed. In settings FAN OFF in standby selected and now when in standby Ultimo fan is OFF.
Really do not understand why the fan continued to run previously using the VIX integrated fan control but now with Fancontol 2 it works perfectly

Cheers

norhap
20-07-12, 10:41
I have a question, I notice in my last HDD is check every two hours,
hdd boot, check the minute (I have setup 1 minute) off.
logs in
/home/root
epg->
/media/hdd

I can change the time of check? (two hours)

example six hours

pd. fancontrol2->OK in offstandby ........ yes.
with the fan control series NOK.

thanks.