PDA

View Full Version : Gigablue Quad

Pages : [1] 2

marty
11-06-12, 15:56
This looks nice :)

GIGABLUE QUAD (http://translate.google.co.uk/translate?hl=en&sl=de&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.gigablue.de%2Findex.php%3Foptio n%3Dcom_content%26view%3Darticle%26id%3D18%26Itemi d%3D37%26lang%3Dde)

1.3 ghz cpu too :cool:

Larry-G
11-06-12, 16:07
Yup, Gigablue are fast becoming a real player on the STB scene, once a few more teams start to provide support in the form of images things will really start to become interesting.

snookera
11-06-12, 16:43
When is the quad out and how much is it

Sicilian
11-06-12, 17:17
Another couple of months yet, price not confirmed.

bassethound
11-06-12, 17:21
looking very nice and with a gigabit Ethernet port fingers crossed its not a typo :cool:

irishchris
12-06-12, 11:34
Looks really good. Only bad point for me is one card reader as i have 2 subs but with 2 ci slots there is a workaround. Also i only read of separate hybrid tuners for dvbt/c for the 2 spare slots. Hopefully there will be a dvb-s2 tuner as an option too

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy 3 using Tapatalk 2

marty
12-06-12, 14:15
Another couple of months yet, price not confirmed.

I heard whispers of 'about' 500 euros

world-of-satellite.co.uk
12-06-12, 18:24

Price will be less ;)

Once confirmed we will announce here as we will be the first to have stock in the UK.

Hopefully the modular DVB-T2 tuner will be ready soon for all the models.

Larry-G
12-06-12, 18:29

well i would not take those whispers too seriously. just wait for the official announcement

world-of-satellite.co.uk
12-06-12, 18:34
Btw the, the Quattro will come with universal remote that has a built in fully fuinctiuonal qwerty keypad to the rear, looks awesome :)

It will have two fixed tuners and two modular tuners that can be added. Options are expected to be DVB-T/T2, maybe a hybrid DVB-C/T and DVB-S/S2.

The front LCD looks nice, although would have been nicer if larger, similar size to the LCD currently on DMM receivers.

As irishchris pointed out, only 1 card reader, but not the end of the world as theres two USB ports, easilly add a smargo ;)

marty
12-06-12, 18:36
Any due date of when they will be in stock?

world-of-satellite.co.uk
13-06-12, 07:13
Any due date of when they will be in stock?

Sorry, not confirmed yet, but possibly August/September.

75mak
14-06-12, 01:01
will this bean enigma2 box?

if so, i might hold off getting that ultimo.

at last things seem to be shaking up at £300-£400 market range - with the duo2 out soon and gigablue quad and then the ultimo. finally we might get some real competion which might lead to more competitive prices for the receivers with these new features.

i definately need more than 2 tuners now, and while the duo2 looks great with airplay functionality built in and hd pip - 2 tuners arent enough.

quad gigablue looks great - and if enigma2 - would jump in with a nice vix image ;)

Rob van der Does
14-06-12, 06:01
at last things seem to be shaking up at £300-£400 market range - with the duo2 out soon and gigablue quad and then the ultimo.
You really think they all will be within that range :D

finally we might get some real competion which might lead to more competitive prices for the receivers with these new features.
What do you mean with 'finally'? The DUO hit the market just over 2 years ago, and until then there was only Dream to compete itself :confused:

75mak
14-06-12, 09:30
You really think they all will be within that range :D

What do you mean with 'finally'? The DUO hit the market just over 2 years ago, and until then there was only Dream to compete itself :confused:

I know in the uk the ultimo usually goes for around £450. but across some parts of europe, it can be got with two years warranty and a third tuner thrown in for around £400 (depending on euro xchange rate).

so i would hope the new duo is at least at the same price point as the ultimo if not a bit lower.

with regards competition, then without doubt the vu+ duo was a much needed addition for enigma2 receivers with multiple tuners, but more receivers at that point can only be a good thing for the end user, especially if they're coming from differant manaufacturers. dm8000 was around £800 - duo came along initially at around £400, now with the chinese stuff hitting the market - it is driving the price down for better or for worse. i think vu are doing a great thing with this new duo as it might curb interest in the chinese rubbish and give people a very good reason to opt for original hardware at a competitive price rate. the et9200 was good, but clarke tech didnt offer anything that was very differant to the duo. gigablue on the other hand and this new duo2 seem to really up the ante with there hardware spec on these upcoming receivers.

IMO, most of these linux receivers seem overpriced when judged relitive to other electronic hardware spec. i know software costs money too but even then i think the end user will only benefit with more receivers to choose from.

steve14
05-07-12, 14:54
Quick noobie question...with this box will you be able to record 2 channels at once but not watch a third, unless you get an add in card at a later date?

Just getting my Gigablue 800 HD SE this weekend and already looking ahead to this :eek:

Trial
05-07-12, 15:09
Hi,
with every receiver which only has two tuner you can only watch/record two channel completely independently. When two or more channel are on the same transponder you can record up to 4-5 channel and watch a 5th or 6th.

ciao

marty
20-07-12, 18:44
Just came across this :)

REMOVED

399 EURO's from 20/8/2012 :)

Larry-G
20-07-12, 18:46
as per the site rules, please do not post links to retailers other than our official sponsor.

RogerThis
25-08-12, 15:58
Btw the, the Quattro will come with universal remote that has a built in fully fuinctiuonal qwerty keypad to the rear, looks awesome :)

It will have two fixed tuners and two modular tuners that can be added. Options are expected to be DVB-T/T2, maybe a hybrid DVB-C/T and DVB-S/S2.

The front LCD looks nice, although would have been nicer if larger, similar size to the LCD currently on DMM receivers.

As irishchris pointed out, only 1 card reader, but not the end of the world as theres two USB ports, easilly add a smargo ;)

Any word on the release date for this box?

The talk of extra DVB-S/S2 tuners is getting me really excited. :-) 3 satellite and 1 terrestrial is what I would love in a box. Any update on the extra tuners?

Dave-H
25-08-12, 16:18
Any word on the release date for this box?

Available from 14/09/12 according to Gigablue's site

The talk of extra DVB-S/S2 tuners is getting me really excited. :-) 3 satellite and 1 terrestrial is what I would love in a box. Any update on the extra tuners?

Really? Would be nice if extra DVB-S2 tuners are available, but I understood the extra/additional tuners were DVB-T/DVB-C2 (again, according to Gigablue)

http://www.gigablue.de/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=75&Itemid=37&lang=en

RogerThis
25-08-12, 17:41
Available from 14/09/12 according to Gigablue's site

Sooner if you go by some of the German sat shops. I was hoping to get an answer from the sponsor.

Really? Would be nice if extra DVB-S2 tuners are available, but I understood the extra/additional tuners were DVB-T/DVB-C2 (again, according to Gigablue)

The is what the world-of-satellite.co.uk guy said

Options are expected to be DVB-T/T2, maybe a hybrid DVB-C/T and DVB-S/S2.

Stanman
25-08-12, 17:53
Well be a really good box with DVB S2 and T2, look forward to this.

Trial
14-09-12, 09:10
Hi,k
any news? I need a new toy and I am not sure if I get one from VU+ or somewhere else. The quad looks very promising and perhaps it can cure my boredom:-)

ciao

Mr. Mister
14-09-12, 09:36
The is what the world-of-satellite.co.uk guy said

PMSL.. I also spoke to the world-of-satellite guy yesterday.. And from what i remember.. This new Gigiblue Quad could be available sometime next month..

Looking forward to it.. As gonna get one myself..

Already have the SE and the UE.. So really want the Quad now.. lol

Alec
14-09-12, 18:49
It will be nice if there was a review on the Quad.

RogerThis
20-09-12, 21:15
Taken from another forum username: gigacam

Also box hat twintuner integriert danach mann kann noch optional DVB-S/S2 oder Hybrid Tuner einbauen
Any German speaker able to translate this better than google?

No sure of his credentials. From what I can gather, this is looking good for an additional DVB-S tuner for the quad.

Hoping VIX team will get one soon, looking like a strong prospect for Christmas present for me. :)

Also no sub section for quad yet :(

Mr. Mister
20-09-12, 21:26
Sub-section will be added when the Quad is on public release..

Trial
21-09-12, 07:45
Hi,

No sure of his credentials. From what I can gather, this is looking good for an additional DVB-S tuner for the quad.

It is looking good for an additional DVB-S tuner but not this year anymore. DVB-C shall be available this year but DVB-S2 is announced for Q1-2013.

ciao

world-of-satellite.co.uk
21-09-12, 09:16
To let members know, we should have confirmed UK retail price hopefully by end of next week, with hopefully stock within the next two weeks. Once price is confirmed the Quad will be added to the shop and we'll start taking pre-orders.

Sicilian
21-09-12, 09:19
ViX image already built for the Quad, all we needs is hardware to test so that we can release :)

Trial
21-09-12, 10:48
Hi,
if you get a demo for a very special price I would sacrifice myself:-)

ciao

Dave-H
01-10-12, 13:02
To let members know, we should have confirmed UK retail price hopefully by end of next week, with hopefully stock within the next two weeks. Once price is confirmed the Quad will be added to the shop and we'll start taking pre-orders.

Any news on price yet?

Thanks.

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk 2

world-of-satellite.co.uk
05-10-12, 11:49
To let members know the GiGablue Quad will be listed on our shop soon, we have a limited quantity arriving approx tues/weds next week. So we will be taking pre-orders on a 1st come 1st served basis.

75mak
06-10-12, 13:16
Any news on price yet?

Thanks.

Sent from my HTC using Tapatalk 2

Looks like around £320 from european stores

Hope you can get 3 sat tuners instead of x2 dvb-s2 and 1x dvb-t/c

pooface
06-10-12, 14:10

From what I recall, at launch, there will be no sat tuners available to purchase. They will be released Q1 of 2013...

Sent from my HTC Sensation XE with Beats Audio using Tapatalk 2

Sicilian
06-10-12, 14:33

European stores are 399euro + shipping. So equated to approx £332.50 + shipping to UK. Then if you have any issues you'll have to ship back.

bobby1
06-10-12, 18:45
My Quad is in transit from Germany. Can the Vix Team Image for the Quad be downloaded already?

Stanman
06-10-12, 19:23
There is as yet no image for the quad, very likely we will release one in the future.

banie01
06-10-12, 19:55
There is as yet no image for the quad, very likely we will release one in the future.

Really? Thats not what Sicilian says ;)

ViX image already built for the Quad, all we needs is hardware to test so that we can release :)

Larry-G
06-10-12, 20:00
Really? Thats not what Sicilian says ;)

yes there is a image but it's a beta image as i believe no members of the team have units to test it on, and we wont release a untested image.

Stanman
06-10-12, 20:03
its semantic there is no released image for the quad as yet;)

banie01
06-10-12, 20:10
I didn't mean to be picky or pedantic,moreso pointing out that it was posted by the boss there was an image and that was followed by a post from a team member saying there was none.
So I can understand why a new(Low post count i mean) member like Bobby1 thought there might be an immediate release based on Sic's post and why he would be confused by Stan's follow up.
I know, and many others here do too that there won't be a VIX release for the quad until it is tested and stable, and it will surely be worth waiting for. ;)

bassethound
07-10-12, 10:29
Here are some GigaBlue QUAD Youtube Videos

PIP HD - HD

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=anA04QAQI5c

Big thanks to op

bassethound
07-10-12, 10:30
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pzFGohqYH3I

bassethound
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=Qt8-Er2-g98

bassethound
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=pOdY3TMYyN8

bassethound
07-10-12, 10:31
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=bvQdGPVfXyA

75mak
07-10-12, 10:59
Looks really snappy

dfdream
07-10-12, 12:35
That looks the Biz.
Was looking at an Ultimo but this looks better..and £339...Thats good...
Wow it boots fast...Hopefully the images with it boot that fast...
How does that boot speed compare with other gigablues (its 2-3 times faster than my Duo or Solo.
The one downside for me is no sat cards available till 2013. (Any idea when as that could be 3 months upto 15 months.)

Stanman
07-10-12, 13:19
No one has one so apart from vid not sure if any one can give an actual user feedback. Iirc the dvbs2 us around Q1/2 of 20103.

Rob van der Does
07-10-12, 13:41
Be advised that boot times depend very much on settings, skin and installed plugins. So one can't really say anything useful about this without knowing the configuration.

Trial
07-10-12, 18:13
Hi,
another downside only one card reader. The boot speed is indeed very nice but the ultra fast switching speed does not really impress me.

ciao

rossi2000
07-10-12, 18:31
one card reader is more than i need :)

are the c/t tuners avaialble at launch or are they Q1/Q2 2013 aswell?

Stanman
07-10-12, 18:35
You can buy the C/T at launch http://www.world-of-satellite.co.uk/Digital-Satellite-Receivers/Gigablue-HD-Linux-Enigma-2-Satellite-Receivers/GiGaBlue-QUAD-Linux-Enigma-2-HD-PVR-Digital-Satellite-Receiver-2-DVB-S-S2-2-Plug-and-play-Tuner-Slots

rossi2000
07-10-12, 18:41
ye i noticed that, but there only for sale pre-installed.
i would assume they'll be avaialble separately then.

i dont want 1 right away.

OldSkulRide
07-10-12, 19:06
Hi,
another downside only one card reader. The boot speed is indeed very nice but the ultra fast switching speed does not really impress me.

ciao

Apperantly it is the limitation of the Enigma 2.

75mak
08-10-12, 00:15
should be available for sponsor around 10/10/12 - can pre order now. Any chance you could ship with vix image installed by that date? or will the image need much more testing?

75mak
08-10-12, 00:20
also, does the quad have gigabit ethernet?

i'm ready to order one from the sponsor, as £339 seems a great price in relation to ultimo and duo2 which will likely be much more. I really need to know if the remote sensor is anywhere as effective as the vu duo. As my duo is currently out of sight and (harmony) remote still works well.

Trial
08-10-12, 08:09
Hi,
I read a report on another board and there was a complain because of no GBit still only 100MBit.

ciao

Sicilian
08-10-12, 09:50
should be available for sponsor around 10/10/12 - can pre order now. Any chance you could ship with vix image installed by that date? or will the image need much more testing?

The image has only been briefly tested by another team who has a sample. Once tested this week, providing no major bugs are found we will release the it. Theres already public OpenMips, OpenAAF and SIF Team image.

bassethound
08-10-12, 10:54
A few images of the new Quad

http://imageshack.us/a/img22/1042/foto1zw.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img26/7047/foto2wi.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img43/4245/foto3nd.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img221/8192/foto5w.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img706/329/foto6sle.jpg
http://imageshack.us/a/img833/2197/foto4df.jpg

Tnx to Cifun

OldSkulRide
08-10-12, 13:41
I would wait for first reviews in english then i would buy this box. Right now there is still not enough info on forums (except in german) to come to an decision.

75mak
08-10-12, 17:02
I would wait for first reviews in english then i would buy this box. Right now there is still not enough info on forums (except in german) to come to an decision.

reading some of the german reviews via bling translate, they're not as positive as i would have thought. They are raving about the speed and boot time though. A lot of mention of drivers.

Can't wait till we get some reviews in English, hopefully from some forum members.

Sicilian
08-10-12, 17:09
reading some of the german reviews via bling translate, they're not as positive as i would have thought. They are raving about the speed and boot time though. A lot of mention of drivers.

Can't wait till we get some reviews in English, hopefully from some forum members.

I'll post a review later this week one I receive one.

Drivers will always be updated, similar to what VU+ & Xtrend do when a new model is released.

Rob van der Does
08-10-12, 17:10
And of course boot-time is of no interest at all, and very much dependant on your settings/image/plugins.

twol
08-10-12, 20:11

Not sure what image they are running with, but the german reports I have read are not positive and talk about upcoming firrmware changes to fix issues and advertised features not available on box.

Larry-G
08-10-12, 20:22
Not sure what image they are running with, but the german reports I have read are not positive and talk about upcoming firrmware changes to fix issues and advertised features not available on box.

Quite a few OE-Alliance member teams have images ready for these boxes, including a BETA image from us, which is virtually ready to go. as for driver support, from what i have seen Gigablue is no worse than any other of the manufacturers we support and if this receiver gets the same level support as it's little brothers there will be nothing to worry about.

Trial
08-10-12, 22:32
Hi,
I cannot understand the company. First boxes sold and it seems fact hat kernel is 2.6, hbbtv not there yet and only 100mbit but their web page still shows other information. I think hat quite some customer will be disapointed.

Ciao

gesendet mit meiner JB Tablette

Sicilian
09-10-12, 06:04
Hi,
I cannot understand the company. First boxes sold and it seems fact hat kernel is 2.6, hbbtv not there yet and only 100mbit but their web page still shows other information. I think hat quite some customer will be disapointed.

Ciao

gesendet mit meiner JB Tablette

They have had to launch with kernel 2.6.xx as they're waiting for BCM to release microcode to use kernel 3.xx with this new CPU. I'm told its due pretty soon, once released there will be driver updates and features added.

Rob van der Does
09-10-12, 06:24
They have had to launch with kernel 2.6.xx as they're waiting for BCM to release microcode to use kernel 3.xx with this new CPU. I'm told its due pretty soon, once released there will be driver updates and features added.

Very strange indeed that a very old kernel has been used for development of a modern box. This should have been reason not to release the box yet.........

And going by

http://www.gigablue-support.net/board25-gigablue-quad/board32-sonstiges/375-erster-kleiner-test-der-quad/
there are quite a number of problems to be solved (including an internal loopthrough that's 'never going to work').

BTW: is that an 'official' GigaBlue forum?

Sicilian
09-10-12, 06:27
Very strange indeed that a very old kernel has been used for development of a modern box.
And going by

http://www.gigablue-support.net/board25-gigablue-quad/board32-sonstiges/375-erster-kleiner-test-der-quad/
there are quite a number of problems to be solved.

BTW: is that an 'official' GigaBlue forum?

Didn't you read post 70?

They are waiting for code to be released from Broadcom so that they can implement kernel 3.xx and new drivers will come. Its not by their choice, they've had to release with kernel 2.6xx until Broadcom release the microcode to them very soon.

Trial
09-10-12, 08:15
Hi Sicilian,
I/we know that but imagine you are a simple customer buying from Amazon. At least a * with the explanation that it will be added later would be nice. Advertising with features that cannot be fulfilled is not a good idea IMHO.

It is a pity that you cannot read German. In a German board HBBTV for VU+ was announced for Mai. You cannot imagine the anger by some people when it did not come as expected. It was one of the largest threads (779 posts) in that board. And this announcement was not even an official one.

btw. the kernel is the smallest problem. A lot of people waited for the first STB with GBit.

ciao

Sicilian
09-10-12, 08:21
I'll be receiving a unit this week and I'll test with ViX. I'll then report what advertised features are supposedly isn't working.

twol
09-10-12, 09:35
Hi Sicilian,
I/we know that but imagine you are a simple customer buying from Amazon. At least a * with the explanation that it will be added later would be nice. Advertising with features that cannot be fulfilled is not a good idea IMHO.

It is a pity that you cannot read German. In a German board HBBTV for VU+ was announced for Mai. You cannot imagine the anger by some people when it did not come as expected. It was one of the largest threads (779 posts) in that board. And this announcement was not even an official one.

btw. the kernel is the smallest problem. A lot of people waited for the first STB with GBit.

ciao

Agree, but unfortunately technology companies build revenue targets based on chip availability dates and when (read often) the chip supplier has issues, the technology company still ships hoping either customers are too naive to notice issues or that they will handle the complaints further down the line.............. but they will still be pulling in the revenue :(
It certainly should not hit Amazon in this condition, specialist dealers may be able to handle it better.

Profit before customer satisfaction... its a problem :)

Sicilian
09-10-12, 09:48
Personally I think some of the posts here are unfair as no one here has actually tested a unit. None of us know exactly if and what may not be functioning.

I'll have a unit in a couple of days an will post an unbiased test report.

I know for a fact vtuners (USB tuners) are not currently supported nor HBBTV, but vtuners are not functioning on Technomate Twin or Mara-M9. HBBTV is planned for 2013 by Gigablue, so are DVB-S2 tuners which they've made no secret of.

This is a new receiver that will have latest kernel and drivers soon, I dont see any reason to doubt Gigablue as there development of the HD800xx has been constant with new driver updates due for them soon too.

Rob van der Does
09-10-12, 10:06
None of us know exactly if and what may not be functioning.
Concur.
But since you're advising users to consider buying one, and sponsor is advertising with the box, I thought that some experience would already be there.

rossi2000
09-10-12, 11:01
Hopefully shud have mine this week too will report back any findings....

Rob van der Does
09-10-12, 11:05
Please do; we're looking forward to that. I hope you'll be able to comment using both on the original image and ViX.

rossi2000
09-10-12, 11:09
I was wondering about the image. I guess itll be gigablues own image. Im just currently building the openvix one which im more than likely to chuck on the box right away. Failing that i have the mips and aaf images at the ready

squig007
09-10-12, 11:35
i see from the pics that the remote control is identical to the tm twin remote !

Sicilian
09-10-12, 11:40
i see from the pics that the remote control is identical to the tm twin remote !

Look closely, similar, but NOT identical ;)

tickett
09-10-12, 19:12
I too ordered the day I got the e-mail from the sponsor. I will be sure to share my experience. I currently use a couple of Clarke Tech ET9000 with the latest OpenVIX image.

Larry-G
10-10-12, 06:24

From my understanding very few STB manufacturers also produce their own remotes, it is common practice to give such contracts to external OEM manufacturers which is why they look so similar.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk 2

OldSkulRide
10-10-12, 09:05
I am looking forward to get info from vix guys! Box seems interesting but i am afraid that they will have to make new revision of their board (same as with vuduo).

rossi2000
10-10-12, 09:46
why is that?

Sicilian
10-10-12, 10:20
but i am afraid that they will have to make new revision of their board (same as with vuduo).

Not sure where that has come from, spoken to the dev's, no such thing is planned.

Rob van der Does
10-10-12, 11:36
And also not sure where the DUO-revision comes from; apart from adding the RTC to the frontpanel (3 years ago) no real H/W revisions have been carried out (the minor updates in r/v number you can see are from replacing parts that were no longer available).

OldSkulRide
10-10-12, 12:46
Yep, i switched frontpanel with motherboard ;) Thanks for clearing this out. I was among first buyers of DUO and now i am without RTC. Nothing spectacular but it is missing :D

bobby1
10-10-12, 12:59
Do anyone know which company makes it for Gigablue?

Sicilian
10-10-12, 13:01
Do anyone know which company makes it for Gigablue?

Gigablue is the brand, I doubt very much they will disclose where they manufacture, why do you ask?

bobby1
12-10-12, 13:18
Gigablue is the brand, I doubt very much they will disclose where they manufacture, why do you ask?

Read some specultation it was from the same manufacture that makes the VU+.

Should the color LCD do red colors? Picons with red is shown as blue. And yellow also seems blueish.

bobby1
12-10-12, 15:48
Read some specultation it was from the same manufacture that makes the VU+.

Should the color LCD do red colors? Picons with red is shown as blue. And yellow also seems blueish.
Tried a different image that fixed the color issue.

bokkie
12-10-12, 16:55
So how is the Gigablue Quad so far? Worth the money or should I wait for the Duo2?

bobby1
12-10-12, 17:14
Still early days to conclude anything. But I would advise waiting for some driver updates unless you absolute need it right now. There is much yet to be fixed in my opinion.

The very positive is the speed. It is ultra fast navigating the menus and fast zapping. Definitely the fastest E2 I have ever tried.
PIP works with fine with FTA HD channels.

The negative:
Main issue for me is Image quality. Think it is a issue in the drivers that I hope they will fix soon. It is unnatural sharp but adjusting sharpness does not help then it becomes very fuzzy.
No recording of encrypted channels on 2 different transponders. The same for PIP only one can be decrypted. Again driver issue that should be fixed soon.
Common Interface decoding also does not seem to work yet only Softcam.
Recording from deep standby mode does not seem to work yet.
No HbbTV/Gigabit Network support yet as claimed in the item description on various shops.

Alec
12-10-12, 17:52
I read this on Amazon de
Habe den Quad getestet. Auch im Vergleich zu meinem CT ET 9000 der mit derselben Software arbeitet
tested the Quad against CT ET 9000 with the same Image
Positiv : Advantage

Schnelle Bootzeit ca 45 Sek.,schnelles zappen, schönes Display. Möglichkeit bis zu 4 Tuner zu verwenden.
Quick boot about 45secs, nice display, possibility to use 4 tuners
Intere und externe Festplatten laufen einwandfrei. Internal and external Hard drive work faultlessly

Tuner haben starken Empfang, gutes Signal, auf Astra wurden über 1600 Sender gefunden.
Shows a strong signal on Astra, over 1600 programmes found
Die Box bleib obwohl sie ohne Lüfter ist kühl. Even without a fan the box runs cool.

Jetzt das leider Negative: disadvanges

Bildqualität bei SD ist schlecht, verpixelt und Senderlogos zittern und wabern. picture quality on SD, bad pixel, icons not steady

Auch bei HD Sendern wird eingeblendete Schrift und Logos undeutlich dargestellt. On HD front and logos faded

Das ist bei meinem ET9000 wesentlich besser. It is much better on the ET9000

Timer werden aus dem Deepstandby nicht gemacht.HDMI CEC Steuerung geht nichtŽ.
Timer on deepstandby did not work

Man kann nicht einen verschlüsselten Sender aufnehmen und einen anderen sehen, es kommt dann kein Bild.
you can't record an encrypted programme and watch another encrypted programme, there is no picture

Falls diese Punkte per Firmwareupdate gelöst werden, ist der Receiver top. If the update software fixes these problems, the box will be tops

Aber so nicht, meiner ging zurück. If not, mine will be going back

Rob van der Does
12-10-12, 18:03
No HbbTV/Gigabit Network support yet as claimed in the item description on various shops.
According to Broadcom the chipset has only MII ethernet embedded, so that's 10/100Mbit/s, see
http://www.broadcom.com/products/Satellite/Satellite-Set-Top-Box-Solutions/BCM7356
On the manufacturer's website however Gb-lan is (still) announced, see

http://gigablue.de/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=75&Itemid=37&lang=en

And VU+ uses the same chipset in the Solo2 and has correctly announced it as 10/100Mbit/s-LAN.

rossi2000
12-10-12, 18:47
Hmm what to do now with the pre-order.
Do gigablue not test there shit before releasing?? Those issues shud of been picked up way back in dev testing.......

Larry-G
12-10-12, 18:49
To be fair to GB they have been very reliable with the previous 3 models and have very regular driver / bootloader support releases.

75mak
12-10-12, 18:53
Hopefully duo2 won't have these issues when it released. I do think most of the issues can be sorted when drivers are released for this chipset.

Only gigabit LAN seems like false advertising, or will it change with new drivers?

Sicilian
12-10-12, 18:55
Guy's I'm currently testing with ViX tonight tomorrow, will post more info tomorrow. Not all bad ;)

Stanman
12-10-12, 19:01
Hopefully duo2 won't have these issues when it released. I do think most of the issues can be sorted when drivers are released for this chipset.

Only gigabit LAN seems like false advertising, or will it change with new drivers?

I don't think its a deliberate attempt.

The chipset is capable of 10/100 so GB is not going to be possiable and as other boxes are using same chip we are stuck with 10/100 for the time being.

rossi2000
12-10-12, 19:38
Guy's I'm currently testing with ViX tonight tomorrow, will post more info tomorrow. Not all bad ;)

it is bad as you have yours and we dont :)

linuxtv
14-10-12, 15:54
I have just put my review online at
http://linux-tv.com/gigablue-hd-800-quad-review/

Looking forward to testing it with ViX Image later on.

judge
14-10-12, 17:00
I have just put my review online at
http://linux-tv.com/gigablue-hd-800-quad-review/

Looking forward to testing it with ViX Image later on.

Nice & fair review, thanks.

rossi2000
14-10-12, 19:01
does anyone know if the quad will passthrough hd audio to my amp?

i usually remux blurays just with dts sound (my ultimo streamed these fine), im wondering if i keep the dts hd tracks the quad will pass the audio to my amp.

OldSkulRide
14-10-12, 19:59
Does it support DTS downmix?

marty
16-10-12, 08:29
No recording of encrypted channels on 2 different transponders

I'm so close to buying one but the above statement is VERY worrying :(
People say a driver will fix this but what if it doesn't?

marty
16-10-12, 08:31

How did it go?

Sicilian
16-10-12, 09:35
How did it go?

Read here http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?22111-GiGablue-Quad-–-First-impressions

marty
16-10-12, 09:47
I ment how did the VIX image go ;)

Sicilian
16-10-12, 10:16
I ment how did the VIX image go ;)

Image is built, we're just waiting for driver updates.

danivtec
16-10-12, 14:13
Will the quad be able to transcode channels on the fly like the Duo 2 and Solo 2 has advertised?

Sicilian
16-10-12, 14:23
Will the quad be able to transcode channels on the fly like the Duo 2 and Solo 2 has advertised?

Pretty sure they're using the same chipest, so will have to wait and see. I'd like to hear how VU+ intend to implement this through E2.

danivtec
16-10-12, 15:32
Also be interested in pricing of the Vu+ as Gigablue seem to be very competitive.

marty
20-10-12, 13:49
I don't think its a deliberate attempt.

The chipset is capable of 10/100 so GB is not going to be possiable and as other boxes are using same chip we are stuck with 10/100 for the time being.

I had a look at broadcom's website and it doesn't quote any speed for the BCM7356, but it does say "integrated Ethernet MII"

I then had a look at wiki and that says

"The MII design has been extended to support reduced signals and increased speeds. Current variants are Reduced Media Independent Interface, Gigabit Media Independent Interface, Reduced Gigabit Media Independent Interface, Serial Gigabit Media Independent Interface, 10 Gigabit Media Independent Interface"

So while its not written it is/isn't GBLAN it "implys" it can support it.

Having said that I don't care because I use 11N wifi :)

Trial
23-10-12, 07:40
Hi,
what file system is used for flash? If it is jffs2 then then boot time should be considerably reduced when kernel 3.x and ubifs are used. On the VUs it was a decrease from around 90 to <60 seconds. The 45 seconds now are already good but I think they will become better. I think it can be exciting to see the development of this nice little box.

ciao

Trial
23-10-12, 07:47
Hi Scilian,

Pretty sure they're using the same chipest, so will have to wait and see. I'd like to hear how VU+ intend to implement this through E2.
I am also curious how/if it will work. On the other hand Marusys made an announcement 2009/2010 for two boxes 630S and 850S with quote:"Both rock a Magnum DX6225 media chip, enabling on-the-fly transcoding of content into a variety of formats, including the hallmark feature of these devices: streaming straight to the iPhone over WiFi". So I think it will be an additional chip.

ciao

marty
23-10-12, 21:45
Got mine yesterday :)
So far pleased but TBH all the images so far suck (too used to the awesome VIX image :p )
Picture quailty seems OK on mine (maybe drivers have been updated?) SD looks OK to me too.

For me I want just 3 things :p

VIX image :thumbsup:
Update so you can decode two channels at the same time.
AC3 fix for optical output.

One last thing, small aint it :eek: about the same size as my crappy Spiderbox HD7000

Larry-G
23-10-12, 22:28
ViX should not be too far off, as soon as we have the drivers and there tested to be working it should be good to go.

marty
23-10-12, 22:40
ViX should not be too far off, as soon as we have the drivers and there tested to be working it should be good to go.

If you need a tester ;) gimme a shout :thumbsup:

cpistola
24-10-12, 02:07
Anyone can say anything about the tuner's sensitivity of the Quad?
I'm undecided between VU+ Ultimo and Giga Quad. Many say the ultimo's tuner have low sensitivity.
I did not see any informations about the quad tuner's sensitivity.

Also where can I obtain one manual in english?

Thanks

Trial
24-10-12, 07:29
Hi cpistola,
it would help if you have a channel where you need a high sensitivity so that other user from the forum can look if there are problems.

ciao

jerry2
25-10-12, 09:44
It seem fine to me, at least same than my HD800.

But the problem is the pictures are too oversharpen, the DVB-T channels I have are all flickery, much worse than on TV :-(

cpistola
25-10-12, 12:55
Hi Trial
Thanks, but was useful if there was anyone with the Quad near my region.
However I use to watch for example the BBC Four in Astra 1N now on my Topfield TF5500PVR and, despite the UK beam, I see with no problems.

Well, I used to be interested on Quad, but now I'm very hesitant with what many people says about the picture problems. Must wait a litlle perhaps it will be resolved with new drivers.

Bye

marty
26-10-12, 08:20
Well, I used to be interested on Quad, but now I'm very hesitant with what many people says about the picture problems.

Picture quality seems just fine for me.
I read loads of tests before buying and alot of people moaned about the picture sharpness and I was expecting it to be a bit crappy but was suprised when I had it up and running.
Maybe it depends on TV settings a bit too?

Rob van der Does
26-10-12, 08:27
Picture quality seems just fine for me.
I read loads of tests before buying and alot of people moaned about the picture sharpness and I was expecting it to be a bit crappy but was suprised when I had it up and running.
Maybe it depends on TV settings a bit too?
LOL: reading what you read makes you expect the worst. And with that prospective, you can't be disappointed :p

But you're probably right: most STB's and TV's are not setup correct. Especially all kinds of 'video enhancers' do the opposite of what their name suggests. Add to that using overscan and 'shop-settings' for brightness & colour and the bad PQ is assured.

bobby1
26-10-12, 09:11
SD seems better with the latest drivers from yesterday

marty
26-10-12, 10:13
So, thats AC3 fixed and SD quality fixed.
Just need to fix the problem with decoding two channels at the same time (and we desperatly need a VIX image :D )
and we are good to go :thumbsup:

bassethound
26-10-12, 10:19
Just need to fix the problem with decoding two channels at the same time (and we desperatly need a VIX image :D )

looks like its fixed in todays drivers

marty
26-10-12, 11:43
Thats great (just tested)

Bring on the VIX :thumbsup:

jerry2
26-10-12, 14:14
Where do you get the drivers every day?

marty
26-10-12, 14:59
where do you get the drivers every day?

menu/setup/software update ;)

jerry2
26-10-12, 15:14
Oh, this updated DRIVERS also (dvb.ko)? My open aaf doesn't find drivers ;-(

marty
26-10-12, 15:31
I tried AFF and really didn't like it.
I'm using OPENMIPS as a temp measure until the VIX image is ready.
I've tried many images and found VIX to be far superior when I owned a Duo.

jerry2
26-10-12, 15:37
Yes, I haven+t try VIX (I use SIFTeam on DM800HD as it is the only one that finds my USB DVB-T tuner), but I am looking forward to VIX image. I guess it will be posted here?

I wonder if I can get dvb.ko somewhere from today.

Can I set some preferences: I have one fixed SAT dish and one motor one. I'd like fixed to take preference before turning motor. Is that doable by putting fixed to tuner A and motor to tuner B?

bobby1
26-10-12, 15:53
Drivers are posted at
archiv.openmips.com

Seems it was originally done 20121019 but it was released yesterday

Larry-G
26-10-12, 15:58
the date of the drivers is in reference to their build date, their own in house team have to first test them before release, hence why they were released on the 24th.

marty
26-10-12, 16:00
I don't know how accurate that is because there have been daily updates every day this week :confused:

Mr. Mister
26-10-12, 16:01
You have to ftp the new dvb.ko file into your box..

Mr. Mister
26-10-12, 16:02
I don't know how accurate that is because there have been daily updates every day this week :confused:

That just shows you how hard Gigablue are working to fix the issue that the Quad has..

Larry-G
26-10-12, 16:09
Daily updates or not, their in house team still have to at least partially test them before release..

marty
26-10-12, 16:11
Daily updates or not, their in house team still have to at least partially test them before release..

Well they are are doing a great job :)
I'm well happy with the lastest fixes they have done :thumbsup:

All we need now a worthy image to go with this great receiver (wink wink ;) )

jerry2
26-10-12, 16:26
You have to ftp the new dvb.ko file into your box..

Yes but I don't have it. OPEN AAF also had some updates today but the DVB.KO is the same.

The only reason why I do not use Open MIPS is because it is on Open 1.6 and I need 2.0 for the Rytec DVB plugin t work.

BTW: Do you reccomend any movie player that would be better than the build one? I mean my srt subtitles do not have our letters because it is wrong codepage etc. A little more settings than 2 would be great ;-)

marty
26-10-12, 16:33
OPENMIPS is 2.0 isn't it? :confused:

jerry2
26-10-12, 17:18
No, 1.6 as far as I know, that is why I couldn't install Rytec on it :-(

pooface
26-10-12, 18:06
Does crossepg work on 1.6? If so, could use that to load the rytec xepgdb file. Much faster than rytec itself imo...

jerry2
26-10-12, 18:38
Yes it works I think, but I didn't like it because it doesn't work in background really.

jerry2
26-10-12, 19:02
I just found out how STUPID I was to buy 2 + 2 tuners. We have only one DVB-T transponder and I was able to make 3 recording at the same time on different channels, no need for second tuner alltogether it seems. Bah.

alsat1
26-10-12, 20:05
I just found out how STUPID I was to buy 2 + 2 tuners. We have only one DVB-T transponder and I was able to make 3 recording at the same time on different channels, no need for second tuner alltogether it seems. Bah.
But with GB Quad You might be able to discover a lot of multimedia things.I think with that CPU 1.3 Ghz we will be able to run xmbc on GB Quad.I just waiting did when new kernel will be on board and I think I will by this receiver.

jerry2
26-10-12, 20:19
Oh if only there would be XBMC for this box ;-) The only thing now is stuttering of the movie from NAS, they just do not move smoothly and I have no control about subtitles (out letters do not work ok). I don't know if 1.4 Ghz is enough power to run all the movie formats...

cpistola
26-10-12, 22:15

Sure. With such a competitive market will be warned tune better models before putting them on the market. Even if it means a time lag in the release of new models. It would have the advantage of potential clients (as I) do not walk with hesitations. :confused:

cpistola
26-10-12, 22:20
All we need now a worthy image to go with this great receiver (wink wink ;) )

Worthy image. Is what I need to make sure to buy immediately

Mr. Mister
26-10-12, 23:01
You will have a cracking Vix image pretty soon..

Should not be too long to wait now..

cpistola
26-10-12, 23:31
Mr Mister:

Glad to hear that.
Only a small detail: what really means "Vix" (I'm a newbie on it...)

basilyoung
26-10-12, 23:34
its the human interface, a bit like windows on a computer, in the sat world, these are called "images" in this case VIX

Larry-G
26-10-12, 23:54
Mr Mister:

Glad to hear that.
Only a small detail: what really means "Vix" (I'm a newbie on it...)

as basilyoung said ViX is a GUI or graphical user interface for the operating system on the receiver. The name ViX means Virtuoso Image Extreme, it used to be Vu+ Image Extreme s we original started out just supporting Vu+ hardware.

cpistola
27-10-12, 00:25
Thanks

I think I'm understanding (as you surely already understood my English is not famous..)

But my fears were more about picture quality, especially when I saw a review : http://linux-tv.com/gigablue-hd-800-quad-review/

Larry-G
27-10-12, 00:29
as far as i am aware, those issues should have been resolved with the newly released drivers.

Larry-G
27-10-12, 00:32
Oh if only there would be XBMC for this box ;-)

doubtful as not even the duo2 will have xbmc, a new receiver is being specifically built for xmbc called prismcube, likely another year away at the least.

cpistola
27-10-12, 00:54
Thanks once more pheonix.

Perhaps you can help: I searched about who is the Gigablue manufacturer but have not found any information. Will be made ​​in china? I think just knowing that it is a brand new.

How are recent models also can not find information about the sensitivity of the tuners. Indeed this feature is not analyzed in most reviews.

Unfortunately also not yet manual in English

Larry-G
27-10-12, 05:47
Thanks once more pheonix.

Perhaps you can help: I searched about who is the Gigablue manufacturer but have not found any information. Will be made ​​in china? I think just knowing that it is a brand new.

How are recent models also can not find information about the sensitivity of the tuners. Indeed this feature is not analyzed in most reviews.

Unfortunately also not yet manual in English

GigaBlue are a small German company, not Chinese. as to your questions about tuner sensitivity i cant really help there as i dont currently own a GigaBlue to compare with any thing else.

Rob van der Does
27-10-12, 06:06
A manual of Enigma running boxes is virtually worthless. Apart from the explanation of the R/C buttons, all manuals are the same, explaining how to set up Enigma.
And for tuner sensitivity: rest assured that for normal use all tuners of all brands are OK. This can only be an interesting item for DXing and feedhunting.

jerry2
27-10-12, 08:50
Please make sure that the HD glass skin works on Vix image for Quad. On AAF it works until I reboot, then all the fonts are blurred to be very bad and I have to change resolution to 720p and then back to 1080p and then it is crisp clear again. If that is not skin problem being incopatible with Quad that is...

Rob van der Does
27-10-12, 09:03
Please make sure that the HD glass skin works on Vix image for Quad.
We are not going to do such a thing.
A skin is a third party add-on; if that party is interested in making it compliant with ViX they are free to do so.

Larry-G
27-10-12, 09:05
Please make sure that the HD glass skin works on Vix image for Quad. On AAF it works until I reboot, then all the fonts are blurred to be very bad and I have to change resolution to 720p and then back to 1080p and then it is crisp clear again. If that is not skin problem being incopatible with Quad that is...

HD Glass is not supported by the ViX image and likely will never be, because of the way it hacks certain system files. This also means that it is almost impossible to remove HD Glass from the image once installed. While the HD Glass skin my work partially on the ViX image, any alterations needed to make it fully updated for the ViX image will have to be done by the skins author.

marty
27-10-12, 09:09

looks like its fixed in todays drivers

They got closer, but still doesn't work :(

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?22499-Recording-problem

jerry2
27-10-12, 10:13
Ok, I understand, so HD glass is really to much of a hack to be advised to use? I don't know what kind of skin does Vix use, I may like it ;-) On my HD800 I liked the pli HD skin, I like clear type of skins, not to messy.

So HD Glass is not only skin but also some hack and it is not advisible to use it (on top it seems to not work ok on quad).

marty
27-10-12, 10:14
The VIX HD hight skin is very nice, I used to use it on my DUO

Larry-G
27-10-12, 10:29
you can find all of the current fully supported skins for the ViX image in our plugin feeds, under the ViX heading. saying that any pli type skin should work but they will not be mapped for the image correctly or fully updated as the dedicated ViX skins are.

jerry2
27-10-12, 10:47
I undestand, thank you. I fear that my Quad is hardware defect somehow. I tried using original skin and pli HD skin and after reboot I get blurred image on GUI or even worse, the TV picture is really bad and I have to change resolution to 720 and back to 1080 to correct it :-( I will put Open MIPS back in with original skin and if this makes this problems I guess Quad is somehow defective.

Does VIX have any kind of better parental lock than default images? The parental lock really sucks on Enigma 2, the whole bouquetes are visible, bah.

Rob van der Does
27-10-12, 10:50
E2 does indeed not have a decent parental lock. There seem to be a bouquet-locking plugin, but I never found it. Worth a Google?

jerry2
27-10-12, 10:53
I found it and installed it but it is not really good. The bouquotes is just not there any more and you have to go to setup to disable that option to get it back after reset. Bah.

rossi2000
27-10-12, 12:25
Oh if only there would be XBMC for this box ;-) The only thing now is stuttering of the movie from NAS, they just do not move smoothly and I have no control about subtitles (out letters do not work ok). I don't know if 1.4 Ghz is enough power to run all the movie formats...

on my quad i stream only bluray remuxes with dts (the quad cant seem to passthrough hd audio formats), these are the highest quality movie file you'll get for movies and they play fine from my server to my quad. subtitles on the movie are ok aswell as my thai missus watches movies with english subtitles.

they were fine on my ultimo which is alot less power but still good enough

jerry2
27-10-12, 12:36
I have normal divx and xvid movies mostly and they do not play ok. Subtitles are a mess with out letter čšž but english are fine.

jerry2
28-10-12, 16:57
From the Vix driver bugs: "You may find the menu's go hazy when using 1080i after a reboot. To correct switch A/V settings to 720p and save, then switch back to 1080i/P and save."

This is also happening to me on all images, but not only after using 1080i but from using 1080p. The way I correct is the same: go to 720p and back to 1080p ;-) So this is not my box or TV hw fault, it is the driver?

Larry-G
28-10-12, 17:00
From the Vix driver bugs: "You may find the menu's go hazy when using 1080i after a reboot. To correct switch A/V settings to 720p and save, then switch back to 1080i/P and save."

This is also happening to me on all images, but not only after using 1080i but from using 1080p. The way I correct is the same: go to 720p and back to 1080p ;-) So this is not my box or TV hw fault, it is the driver?

yes it's a known driver issue, hence why we included it in the known bugs listings.

marty
28-10-12, 17:01

Driver, no doubt if will be fixed shortly ;)

jerry2
28-10-12, 18:15
Great, becaue that is why I am struggling after every reboot. Do Gigablue have the bug report? How can one reach them?

hizach
28-10-12, 23:27
[QUOTE=bobby1;164386]Read some specultation it was from the same manufacture that makes the VU+.

there is a sticker on my receiver "made in Germany"

Sicilian
28-10-12, 23:28
Great, becaue that is why I am struggling after every reboot. Do Gigablue have the bug report? How can one reach them?

They know about this bug ;)

Personally I rarely reboot. Mines left in standby when not used.

Larry-G
28-10-12, 23:35
[QUOTE=bobby1;164386]Read some specultation it was from the same manufacture that makes the VU+.

there is a sticker on my receiver "made in Germany"

correct.

Vu+ are a south Korean company
GigaBlue are a German company.

jerry2
29-10-12, 08:56
They know about this bug ;)

Personally I rarely reboot. Mines left in standby when not used.

Same here, but when I am trying a lot of things I have to reboot often and if something freezes also. I can not tell my wife if it freezes to change from 1080p to 720p and back ;-)))

Trial
29-10-12, 21:55
Hi,
does anybody have >=2 quads at home? I just read in a German board that a user has 2 quads and both have the same MAC which is a no go IMHO. With only 1 MAC for >=2 boxes it is not easy to work in a network.

ciao

marty
30-10-12, 04:07
Can you not change the MAC?

pooface
30-10-12, 06:57
@Trial
This should not happen. When the chips are made, they should be using specific mac addresses, which, altho they can re-use the address, there will btw plenty of different combos. But, there is a possibility that a duplicate was made. But wouldn't think it would be every box, surely?!

@Marty
I know in e1 days, you could change the mac by using a kind of start up, which changed it as soon as the box started. But, the actual address is 'burnt' in to the chip by manufacturer, do cannot change mac on hardware side of things...

Trial
30-10-12, 09:06
Hi,
the MAC problem is fixable in the BIOS with a tool named macprog2. At least that is what I read. Nevertheless it should not happen.

@pooface,
I only know a guy with 2 boxes and his had the same MAC that´s why I ask.

ciao

OldSkulRide
30-10-12, 09:34
Any info when they will add usb tuners support or when they will upgrade the kernel?

twol
30-10-12, 11:59
[QUOTE=hizach;168074]

correct.

Vu+ are a south Korean company
GigaBlue are a German company.

I think this is more like "assembled in Germany" at best, which allows "Made in Germany" somewhat like Clarke Tech - 99% of the components I would expect to come from China or South Korea, apart from the top German outfits, Medion is the only other company in Germany that would have the capability to actually source and build this box --------but I have been wrong before & will be again:)

marty
30-10-12, 14:09
I used to work for Bosch-Rexroth in Ireland, everything we made there was stamped "Made in Germany" :p

superfly
30-10-12, 17:38
Hi, the Quad is on my list as I need a new receiver. I currently have a Dreambox 500S and it's time to buy a HD receiver with PVR. Unbelievable I know! But I'm waiting for the small issues to be ironed out and to see the price of the Vu+ Duo2. I want a dual-tuner PVR with mediaplayer functions (Avi, Divx, Xvid, MP4 & MKV) and I'm just wondering, can the Quad do airplay as mentioned on the VU+ website for the Duo2? Does the Dreambox Live app for iPad streaming work on the Quad?...errr...as mentioned on the VU+ website for the Duo2 (VU+ Player) : ) And finally, can I remotely control the Quad ie...set a recording away from home, or change the channel while my wife is watching TV to annoy her, brave I know!

Many thanks and sorry for the silly questions!!! I'm pretty new to this!

75mak
30-10-12, 17:57
Hi, the Quad is on my list as I need a new receiver. I currently have a Dreambox 500S and it's time to buy a HD receiver with PVR. Unbelievable I know! But I'm waiting for the small issues to be ironed out and to see the price of the Vu+ Duo2. I want a dual-tuner PVR with mediaplayer functions (Avi, Divx, Xvid, MP4 & MKV) and I'm just wondering, can the Quad do airplay as mentioned on the VU+ website for the Duo2? Does the Dreambox Live app for iPad streaming work on the Quad?...errr...as mentioned on the VU+ website for the Duo2 (VU+ Player) : ) And finally, can I remotely control the Quad ie...set a recording away from home, or change the channel while my wife is watching TV to annoy her, brave I know!

streaming to ipad - what's called "airplayer" - is something all these enigma2 receivers are capable of. just need the app/software on the iOS or android device. as for "airplay" - then you can currently do that on the duo but with limited functionality. Again, i think all enigma2 bixes might have potential with it, as it's reated to the plugin used.

i don't know if the duo2 will have any additional hardware to support such airplay functionality (like an apple tv). if it does it would be something special. however i doubt it, i would think it's just your basic enigma2 stuff, but because of the extra processing power, it has potential of running much smoother and being stable. but that's just my guess.

XabiX
30-10-12, 18:35
I got mine on my way !! !!!
can't wait!
:fart2:

Likvid
30-10-12, 20:34
Anyone have a photo they can take of the Made In Germany stamp on the receiver?

Larry-G
30-10-12, 20:37
Anyone have a photo they can take of the Made In Germany stamp on the receiver?

I'm not sure if the receiver is manufactured in Germany but the company GigaBlue them selves are a German Company.

jerry2
30-10-12, 21:01
Does it really matter more where it is made than how it works?

Rob van der Does
30-10-12, 21:50
And what is the meaning of 'manufactured'?
Is it 'designed'?
Or 'assembled'?
Or M/B print made?
Or 'sold from'?
Or the responsible persons/the selling company are in?
Or what?

Larry-G
30-10-12, 21:58
And what is the meaning of 'manufactured'?
Is it 'designed'?
Or 'assembled'?
Or M/B print made?
Or 'sold from'?
Or the responsible persons/the selling company are in?
Or what?

well i would imagine that the first three options would be enough to say it was manufactured in Germany but in today's world it really does not make much difference. for example my sister works for a well known UK clothing maker ( and i use that word lightly ), This clothing maker out sources it's work to east Asian companies then when it arrives in the UK they remove the east Asian logo and replace it with their own branding and a Made in the UK sticker.

Sicilian
31-10-12, 11:51
Thread cleaned up, this isn't the place for politics! Read rules, especially rule 7! Keep on topic, any further politics talk will be deleted.

jerry2
31-10-12, 21:15
The .mkb playing is ok, but the AVI files (XVID and DIVX) are not ok.

marty
01-11-12, 11:16
The .mkb playing is ok, but the AVI files (XVID and DIVX) are not ok.

.AVI works fine for me (just watched South Park :D )

Trial
01-11-12, 11:21
Hi,
DivX and XVid have countless options and some option work and some not on most STBs. Take a look at your videos with the tool MediaInfo. If GMC or QPEL are active you will have a problem on almost any STB.

ciao

jerry2
01-11-12, 18:29
Video
ID : 0
Format : MPEG-4 Visual
Format profile : Advanced Simple@L5
Format settings, BVOP : 1
Format settings, QPel : No
Format settings, GMC : No warppoints
Format settings, Matrix : Custom
Codec ID : XVID
Codec ID/Hint : XviD
Duration : 1h 42mn
Bit rate : 782 Kbps
Width : 624 pixels
Height : 272 pixels
Display aspect ratio : 2.25:1
Frame rate : 23.976 fps
Color space : YUV
Chroma subsampling : 4:2:0
Bit depth : 8 bits
Scan type : Progressive
Compression mode : Lossy
Bits/(Pixel*Frame) : 0.192
Stream size : 571 MiB (82%)
Writing library : XviD 1.2.1 (UTC 2008-12-04)

This is the info of the file, that does not play good...

doggie
20-11-12, 20:48
Hi,

Will the quad be a feed hunter receiver with blind scan?

Regards
Steve

hakkers1977
22-11-12, 17:23
Is it true that the dvbs2 tuners will be available in 2013 as it says on the sponsors website or is it just mentioned to get people to go for it, can any ne confirm this becaus I can't find any info about it online other than what ******* says? Tank u.

Mr. Mister
22-11-12, 17:25
Is it true that the dvbs2 tuners will be available in 2013 as it says on the sponsors website or is it just mentioned to get people to go for it,

Would not be a very smart thing to advertise if it were not true.. !!!..

Thats actually illegal.. !!!

Larry-G
22-11-12, 17:30
Is it true that the dvbs2 tuners will be available in 2013 as it says on the sponsors website or is it just mentioned to get people to go for it, can any ne confirm this becaus I can't find any info about it online other than what ******* says? Tank u.

The sponsor is in direct communication with the manufacturers and he is only relaying what they tell him, it is not in his interest to deceive customers and he certainly would not make wild claims just ti get a sale or two, thats just bad business.

WoS did not get one of the best customer service reps going by doing silly things like that.

Alec
22-11-12, 17:51

What surprise me is that my Media center can see the movie files, and play them on Gigablue Quad, although Gigablue crashes on Samba setup. The Media Center cannot see The VU+. I find downloading media files to laptop and the media center playing them from the laptop more convenient.

Mr. Mister
22-11-12, 17:54
although Gigablue crashes on Samba setup.

Sorry buddy.. My Quad has never crashed on samba set up at all..

Infact.. I dont think i have ever had a crash on the Quad..

Alec
22-11-12, 18:52
Sorry buddy.. My Quad has never crashed on samba set up at all..

Infact.. I dont think i have ever had a crash on the Quad..

I will send a log crash.

danop
06-12-12, 23:01
I have just realyzed that my two quads have the same mac adress, and that give problems in my network.
Is there information on changig mac adress!

Alec
07-12-12, 01:17
I have just realyzed that my two quads have the same mac adress, and that give problems in my network.
Is there information on changig mac adress!

Why not give them different fixed addresses in the network > menu > setup > system > network > device setup > Adapter settings >

just note the settings with use of DHCP . And then change > Use DHCP no . Note the IP address and just change the last 3 numbers to each box. The rest of the numbers can be the same. So if the last 3 numbers are 104, have one on 104 and the other on 105

judge
07-12-12, 01:19
Why not give them different fixed addresses in the network

No boxes should come with the same mac address though.

marty
07-12-12, 08:21
You can change the MAC addy

Details here
http://www.gigablue-support.com/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=3514

Be warned it is in German, from what I gather you mod some part of the bootlaoder.

Trial
07-12-12, 08:23
Hi Alex,
a fixed IP does not cure the problem with the same MAC. MACs are used in switches to forward the packet to the correct port and when there are two boxes with the same MAC switches cannot work correctly.

The MAC can be changed is what I read. As I have no quad this is only from a different board.
Connect with serial cable and press ^C to get into the bootloader. Now it should be possible to change the MAC with a command called MACPROG2.

ciao

Stanman
07-12-12, 20:17
Also on most routers MAC are important as fixed IP is assigned by MAC addy and be a pain to have two with the same one.

danop
08-12-12, 10:41
Same mac adress Gigablue Quad SOLVED!

On Gigablue forum: http://www.gigablue-support.com/index.php?page=Thread&postID=1530#post1530

Here you can download file MAC.zip, with "burn.bat" which you put on a USB stick, which you put into the box and restart.
The bat file will change the mac address to 5C-AB-36-00-FF-55, so if that don't conflict with your other items in your network,
you can use it as it is.
However you can edit Mac address if you want, but they warn about using Windows editor, use Ultraedit instead.
I can tell you, it does the job. I have changes mac address in one of my Quad without any problem.

to something else if

"

BubbleBalls
23-12-12, 11:41
on my quad i stream only bluray remuxes with dts (the quad cant seem to passthrough hd audio formats), these are the highest quality movie file you'll get for movies and they play fine from my server to my quad. subtitles on the movie are ok aswell as my thai missus watches movies with english subtitles.

they were fine on my ultimo which is alot less power but still good enough

Hi Rossi2000,

I have a duo which will be moved to the kitchen/bedroom as I am looking for a new STB with internal Dvbt (usb tuner on Duo not so stable). The Ultimo has had a big drop in price lately. As you have experience with the Ultimo and the Quad what would you recommend? The Ultimo would work out slightly cheaper for me, but I not concerned about the price difference, as quality and stability come first. I absolutely love the Duo but for the USB tuner occasional issues.

Thanks

RogerThis
23-12-12, 12:21
I have the duo, and for the same reason as yourself, the duo with usb dvb-t never worked properly. I went for the quad because of the processor. Basically the speed of the quad is way faster that the ultimo. There are little problems with the quad, that will get sorted with updated drivers.

Stanman
23-12-12, 14:30
Have both and not such a huge difference between the two.

the quad is faster to boot but both are rock solid.

You will not as yet be able to use USB tuners on the quad as not implemented but if enough us hassle Gb they may prioritize it;)

having said that used USB win nova on the Ultimo and Duo and never had any issues.:thumbsup:

BubbleBalls
23-12-12, 15:29
I have the duo, and for the same reason as yourself, the duo with usb dvb-t never worked properly. I went for the quad because of the processor. Basically the speed of the quad is way faster that the ultimo. There are little problems with the quad, that will get sorted with updated drivers.

Have both and not such a huge difference between the two.

the quad is faster to boot but both are rock solid.

You will not as yet be able to use USB tuners on the quad as not implemented but if enough us hassle Gb they may prioritize it;)

having said that used USB win nova on the Ultimo and Duo and never had any issues.:thumbsup:

Thanks for feedback. I am glad to hear you are both happy with the Quad. I just queried because Vu+ seems a more established brand. From the thread I see all the major issues have been sorted. I also have a Nova T USB but it it still causes freezing so a reboot is needed. Drives the wife mad, so drives me mad.

Family are buying some vouchers for the Sponser shop so looks like I will order the Quad next week.
Looking forward to having the internal dvbt tuner and an extra sat tuner at some next year.

Thanks again for the replies.

hilly
29-12-12, 17:05
Same mac adress Gigablue Quad SOLVED!

On Gigablue forum: http://www.gigablue-support.com/index.php?page=Thread&postID=1530#post1530

Here you can download file MAC.zip, with "burn.bat" which you put on a USB stick, which you put into the box and restart.
The bat file will change the mac address to 5C-AB-36-00-FF-55, so if that don't conflict with your other items in your network,
you can use it as it is.
However you can edit Mac address if you want, but they warn about using Windows editor, use Ultraedit instead.
I can tell you, it does the job. I have changes mac address in one of my Quad without any problem.

to something else if

"

Thank you very much as this is the same problem i was having with my SE and Quad which was causing allsorts of problems.

dfdream
07-01-13, 15:11
All,
Im in the market for a new reciever and this Quad is the current frontrunner..
I have a few questions though.

1 - Are the extra satellite tuners available yet (I remember something about being available after christmas.)
2 - How are people finding the hybrid DVB-t tuner in the QUAD (especially the Saorview users).
3 - Can a WD Green 2TB 2.5" SATA Internal Hard Drive or even a 1.5TB version.
4 - Are there any outstanding important bugs in the QUAD / VIX combination.
5 - Will her indoors notice much of a difference in using the QUAD over the DUO or SOLO. Expecially with the general layout of the remote control.

warajoker
07-01-13, 15:24
1) the extra dvb-s2 tuners are not available yet but are expected in the first quarter of 2013
2) I don't own a dvb-t tuner
3) if its 2.5 sata then it will have no trouble been used in the gigablue quad.
4) theres no important bugs that are not fixed as far as I know.
5) everythings basically the same just the timeshift buttons are on the top of the remote and the numbers are on the bottom of the remote. you shouldn't have any trouble whats so ever.

All,
Im in the market for a new reciever and this Quad is the current frontrunner..
I have a few questions though.

1 - Are the extra satellite tuners available yet (I remember something about being available after christmas.)
2 - How are people finding the hybrid DVB-t tuner in the QUAD (especially the Saorview users).
5 - Will her indoors notice much of a difference in using the QUAD over the DUO or SOLO. Expecially with the general layout of the remote control.

Mr. Mister
07-01-13, 15:24
Xmas never was mentioned for this buddy.. It was Quarter1 of new year that was specified..

Not sure as im not using any other tuners at the moment.. Maybe someone else could jump in with answer to this..

Cant see any reason why not.. I got 2 x 500GB in my 2 Quads.. And cant see any reason why a 1.5TB wouldnot work. Also aint seen anyone say that it will not work..

Nothing major.. Maybe a few little things.. Biggest issue is prolly still running on the old 2.6.37 kernel.. But whispers are saying a new kernel is coming very soon..

To look at on the screen.. All vix images are exactly the same.. It will be the remote thats different.. All the buttons all do exactly the same thing obvoiusly.. Except the buttons are in a different place on the remote.. My mrs aint the most technically minded.. But she was able to change over from an Uno to the Gigablue Quad with no problems at all..

I would add.. You will defo not be disappointed if you decide to go down the road of a Quad..

RogerThis
07-01-13, 15:44
2. Dvb-t is working great with saorview. Always had problems with USB dvb-t on my duo.
3. I have an external 3tb usb hard drive. No problems with it at all.

dfdream
07-01-13, 16:29
Is the external drive on USB or is there eSATA.
Id like to connect my external drive as well to save me powering up my PC for storage and have a 1.5tb or 2tb internal drive for recordings.

Id wait to buy till the tuners are out.. Just in case they dont come..If they are to come in Q1 they would be made already..

Does the kernel effect the box that much anyway...

2. Dvb-t is working great with saorview. Always had problems with USB dvb-t on my duo.
3. I have an external 3tb usb hard drive. No problems with it at all.

warajoker
07-01-13, 16:37
both. you can use esata or usb.
Is the external drive on USB or is there eSATA.
Id like to connect my external drive as well to save me powering up my PC for storage and have a 1.5tb or 2tb internal drive for recordings.

Id wait to buy till the tuners are out.. Just in case they dont come..If they are to come in Q1 they would be made already..

Does the kernel effect the box that much anyway...

Mr. Mister
07-01-13, 16:42
Kernel does not effect the box in any way..

Gigablue have already said themselves that the plug and play satellite tuners will be available in Q1 of this year..

So they cant go back on this now due to the amount of people that have bought boxes on the strength of this..

Something else i would like to add..

The only thing you could accuse Gigablue of is maybe NOT being the best at commutation..

Other than that.. They have fulfilled everything they said they would.. Maybe a little slower than we would want / like..

But at least they have always stuck to their word..

warajoker
07-01-13, 16:44
oh and there is no Gigabit Ethernet atm as advertised on every site. im not sure if its gonna get fixed but we don't have it yet.

Mr. Mister
07-01-13, 16:58
oh and there is no Gigabit Ethernet atm as advertised on every site. im not sure if its gonna get fixed but we don't have it yet.

Dont make it out to be something its not.. Maybe Rob Van Der Does can clarify this..

As far as i remember.. It says :

Quad is capable of Gigabit ethernet.. And i think thats driver / kernel related.. So we will have it eventually..

warajoker
07-01-13, 17:12
are you alrite?. he might of bought it thinking that there is GB Ethernet straight away as advertised on the main webpage.i was just saying there is no Gb Ethernet yet and I don't know if they are going to fix it.? I don't have a clue what the hell you are ona bout. I wasnt making anything out to be what its not.

Mr. Mister
07-01-13, 17:35
are you alrite?. he might of bought it thinking that there is GB Ethernet straight away as advertised on the main webpage.i was just saying there is no Gb Ethernet yet and I don't know if they are going to fix it.? I don't have a clue what the hell you are ona bout. I wasnt making anything out to be what its not.

Have you seen one thing yet that Gigablue said they would fix.. and did not fix. ?

They have been true to their word on everything.. a little slower than we want.. But at least its done..

Why cant the glass always be half full with you.. Instead of being half empty..

This issue is drivers and kernel related.. Time is of the essence my friend.. And if you wish to be a smart ass again.. you will earn yourself an infriction..

If i was as unhappy with a receiver as you are.. I would have sold it months ago.. Instead of having a moan about little thing that does not suit you..

warajoker
07-01-13, 17:45
I wasn't trying to be a smart ass mate. and I didn't say they wouldn't fix it. I was just saying that we don't have it yet and I don't know if they are going to fix it. because on every website it says there is GB Ethernet but on the box of the actual product it doesent say anything about it being gb Ethernet. it only says Ethernet 10/100. he was asking if there is any outstanding bugs and I was just saying that we don't have gb Ethernet yet as advertised on every website.
Have you seen one thing yet that Gigablue said they would fix.. and did not fix. ?

They have been true to their word on everything.. a little slower than we want.. But at least its done..

Why cant the glass always be half full with you.. Instead of being half empty..

This issue is drivers and kernel related.. Time is of the essence my friend.. And if you wish to be a smart ass again.. you will earn yourself an infriction..

Rob van der Does
07-01-13, 19:27
Dont make it out to be something its not.. Maybe Rob Van Der Does can clarify this..
As far as i remember.. It says :
Quad is capable of Gigabit ethernet.. And i think thats driver / kernel related.. So we will have it eventually..
Not sure if I can add anything useful to that.

The Solo2 uses the same soc as the GB-Q and has a working Gb-lan. I have been told that VU+ has added some extra hardware to achieve that, but I'm not an expert so I can't verify that. And I have no idea if GB also added H/W components in that area.

So I'll stay out of this discussion.

warajoker
07-01-13, 19:30
they advertise it on there website but not on the products box. don't know why tho
Not sure if I can add anything useful to that.

The Solo2 uses the same soc as the GB-Q and has a working Gb-lan. I have been told that VU+ has added some extra hardware to achieve that, but I'm not an expert so I can't verify that. And I have no idea if GB also added H/W components in that area.

So I'll stay out of this discussion.

marty
07-01-13, 19:37
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?18852-Gigablue-Quad&p=166086&viewfull=1#post166086

Cus2k
08-01-13, 09:20
only says Ethernet 10/100. he was asking if there is any outstanding bugs and I was just saying that we don't have gb Ethernet yet as advertised on every website.

in the instruction that is given along with the decoder, it is clearly indicated
LAN: 10/100/1000

product does not meet the specifications indicated in the selling.

Rob van der Does
08-01-13, 09:26
in the instruction that is given along with the decoder, it is clearly indicated
You mean the manual? Is it for download somewhere?

tinos
08-01-13, 09:32
You mean the manual? Is it for download somewhere?

On the specs page it shows 100/1000:

http://www.gigablue.de/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=75&Itemid=37&lang=en

Manual in german can be downloaded here (page 62 specs shows 10/100/1000):

http://www.gigablue.de/images/stories/giga/handbuch/quad/Handbuch_ger_quad.pdf

warajoker
08-01-13, 09:55
im talking about the box. look on the box mate. it only says Ethernet 10/100.

warajoker
08-01-13, 09:56
but its advertised on there website so hopefully we will get it soon

Rob van der Does
08-01-13, 10:03
Nothing to argue about: both the website and the manual are quite clear in the fact that the STB should support Gb-LAN.
I would just allow GB some time to see if they're going to meet the specs.

Cus2k
08-01-13, 10:56
Nothing to argue about: both the website and the manual are quite clear in the fact that the STB should support Gb-LAN.
I would just allow GB some time to see if they're going to meet the specs.
ok, let's wait hoping that it is a second azbox ...

in the meantime I wrote to gigablue to know the time, I would avail myself of European law in the field of non-compliance with specific sales

tinos
08-01-13, 11:02
I found on the official forum a promise to get Gigabit Ethernet working with new drivers/kernel...

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?24138-Questions-about-Quad-HW&p=179732&viewfull=1#post179732

Gigabit Lan, a solution already exists and is being tested.

RimaNTSS
18-01-13, 10:20
I've installed internal hard drive. To prevent possible overheating of receiver would also like to install fan inside. Is it possible at all to connect 3 or 4 pin fan and use fancontrol plugin?

BubbleBalls
18-01-13, 10:42
I've installed internal hard drive. To prevent possible overheating of receiver would also like to install fan inside. Is it possible at all to connect 3 or 4 pin fan and use fancontrol plugin?

Hi,

Is a fan needed at all? 2.5 inch HDD wouldn't create as much heat as the 3.5 ones.

I just installed a HDD also.

RimaNTSS
18-01-13, 10:50
Is a fan needed at all? I do not know, but if that be possible than with fan could be better anyway. At least situation with temperature would be monitored and controlled.

Rob van der Does
18-01-13, 11:03
I do not know, but if that be possible than with fan could be better anyway. At least situation with temperature would be monitored and controlled.
If monitoring with a fan is possible, it's also possible without a fan.

RimaNTSS
18-01-13, 11:08
Monitoring probably possible even without fan, but controlling and adjusting could be done only with fan and proper plugin. So, installing fan in GB Quad is not possible?