PDA

View Full Version : Unable to install Plugins

taximonkey
10-06-12, 21:49
Hi again guys,
when I go into the plugins section and press the green button to download them and then try to install one it fails on every one I try. I keep getting 'Failed to download plugin perhaps you need to run opkg update' and wget returned 255. The software on the box is up to date but I can't find opkg anywhere :confused:

Larry-G
10-06-12, 21:55
opkg refers to a telnet command.

open a telnet session and issue the opkg update command.

taximonkey
10-06-12, 21:59
I've got no idea how to do that m8 could you give me a clue, cheers.

taximonkey
10-06-12, 22:30
I'm using windows 7, just enabled telnet so I'm now able to use it, just need to know the command to connect to the box. A copy and paste would be brilliant :p

Trial
10-06-12, 23:17
Hi,
Copy and paste is not possible. You need the ip number of your box. Go to the network settings of your box and take a note of your ip. With your ip simply type
telnet 123.456.789.321 but replace my numbers with your IP

Ciao

gesendet von meiner Tablette

taximonkey
10-06-12, 23:25
Hi, I've tried that and it comes up could not connect on port 23 :confused:

basilyoung
10-06-12, 23:34
are you sure your unit is network connected?

ie, can you ftp to the unit?

taximonkey
10-06-12, 23:49
Yes the box is even visible as a network drive in windows explorer I can access the root and the hard disk.
I'll have t leave it for tonight though and give it another try after work tomorrow when I have more time, thanks :)

basilyoung
11-06-12, 00:08
a good free telnet prog ( do a google or search on the forum ) is "putty" give it a try

kunmun23
11-06-12, 17:30
Putty by default has "Connection Type" set to SSH. Use the radio button to choose "telnet", put in your boxes IP address and u should be able to connect. The default login on the box is root and there is no password.

Larry-G
11-06-12, 17:41
I'm using windows 7, just enabled telnet so I'm now able to use it, just need to know the command to connect to the box. A copy and paste would be brilliant :p

if your using the default telnet client in windows 7 it's easy as so.

hit the windows key to bring up the search bar.
type telnet and hit enter, this will open a command prompt screen.
In this new screen type o 192.168.0.xx ( thats o as in oscar space then your ip address of your receiver ).
you will now be asked to enter your login details, type root and hit enter ( you should not need a password unless you set one your self ).

if all goes well just type opkg update and wait till it completes. once done you can click out of the telnet box.

taximonkey
11-06-12, 20:46
Ok I tried using Putty to telnet to the box on port 23 and when I enter my boxs ip address I get a ding and the terminal exits itself. Tried using telnet again and get Could not open connection to the host on port 23 Connection failed. Tried doing this from laptop wirelessly and connected directly to the box with Ethernet cable. Also tried from a pc which is connected to the same router as the box with Ethernet cable. I'm using a Virgin Media super hub and I have ports 21, 23, 81 and 8001 forwarded to my box's ip address. Baffled !!

taximonkey
11-06-12, 21:38
Managed to be able to telnet to the box finally and was able to type in the opkg update command but now I'm getting Failed to download message with wget returned 255 ??

Trial
12-06-12, 07:46
Hi,
have you tried again later. This normally is the answer when there is an update on the way. I did update my 2 Ultimos yesterday.

ciao

taximonkey
12-06-12, 19:54
Hi Trial thanks for the info. I've just tried the update again and am getting the same error message as I did last night. Failed to download update Wget returned 255.