PDA

View Full Version : Whats the best router in your opinion..

Mr. Mister
07-06-12, 18:06
Hi all..

Im fed up to the back teeth of my BT home hub 3 routers.. ( Both of them ) They are up and down more time than a hookers kacks..

I got BT Infinitiy.. and am thinking about buying a new router..

Please can you guys recommend a good stable router with excellent wireless connectivity..

any help would be greatly appreciated..

Donnie
07-06-12, 18:34
You cant go wrong with a Draytek bud.

Mr. Mister
07-06-12, 19:39
Hi Donnie..

How easy is it to use.. ie.. Opening ports and stuff.. ??

Also.. What model.. ?

thanks

digi247
07-06-12, 21:29
I used to have the Draytek Vigor 2600 series for cable a few years back not cheap at the time of around £200 but WOW what a router it had infinite customisable options, Ok maybe not infinite but my word it beat the crap out of every other router i have ever owned and never failed once. well worth the money

judge
07-06-12, 21:37
Mr. Mister, know nothing about BT home hub, is it a cable or dsl router you need?
Have a perfect Cisco cable router not being used if that would help?

im85288
07-06-12, 22:07
Yes second vote for a Draytek, the 2850 is solid as a rock.

Sicilian
07-06-12, 22:10
This might be useful

http://www.draytek.co.uk/support/kb/kb_vigor_v2850_setup.html

Donnie
08-06-12, 09:04
Hi Donnie..

How easy is it to use.. ie.. Opening ports and stuff.. ??

Also.. What model.. ?

thanks
Sorry for the late reply bud, mine is a 2820vn but that is a couple of years old now so follow the link from Sic.
I had mine for ADSL and when I switched to superfast nothing to worry about, Draytek has all angles covered.
Ports and the usual stuff and easy but the rest of it is daunting :D

im85288
08-06-12, 11:56
I had mine for ADSL and when I switched to superfast nothing to worry about, Draytek has all angles covered.

As far as I am aware only the newer 2850 or 2750 models support the VDSL format needed for BT Infinity...or am I mistaken with this assumption?

bassethound
08-06-12, 12:21
Just got my self a ASUS DSL-N55U great router so far very easy to get at all the settings with a great UI interface :thumbsup:

http://uk.asus.com/Networks/ADSL_Modem_Routers/DSLN55U/

sivhead
08-06-12, 12:36
before you purchase a new router have you tried installing DDWRT custom firmware.
http://www.dd-wrt.com/site/index I had issues with my Dlink constantly losing connection to the WAN (even when Wired locally). I have had no issues since I installed the DD-WRT custom router firmware. you can do everything even INadyn setup. take a look before forking out your money. You have nothing to lose if it does not work you could always flash your oringal firmware back.

Although you need to check if your router is compatible

digi247
08-06-12, 13:55
Also what i liked about the Draytek is you can assign different speeds for different ports and wireless applications something i have never seen on any other router, A great feature for stemming the flow of the kids on the Xbox while the wife is surfing and your trying to download LOL.

Stanman
12-06-12, 18:19
Got fiber with TT, if your not after a combined modem / router, than Netgear WNR2000 is rock solid.

Mr. Mister
12-06-12, 19:10
Thats a good question there Stanman,,

Im moving to BT business.. and they have told me i will be getting a new shitty modem and router..

If i was to use a netgear.. or a Draytek.. would i be able to do away with the BT modem..

BT have told me that i MUST use their equipment.. and no 3rd party routers or modems will work.. on their system..

Anyone else here on BT business broadband.. using just a 3rd part router only..???

im85288
13-06-12, 13:43
Yes I am on BT Business broadband and using a Draytek router with Infinity. You can get advise of how to set this up here
http://draytek.co.uk/support/kb/kb_vigor_v2750_setup.html

Stanman
13-06-12, 20:10
Sounds like its going to be separates, white openreach modem and router, in which case you can get the WNR2000 on ebay for around £10 or the gigibyte version from a scottish seller for £17.

Had mine for 3 months and had no problem.

The feature I love and got it for is WIFI can be switched off via a button on the back.

Personally could not justify £200+ on the draytek combo's

eblaster101
13-06-12, 22:18
i 2nd the DDWRT. I use bt infinity with the Dlink 615 with DDWRT its perfection other than the wifi being a bit weak but i am waiting for the wireless AC standard to come out before i spend money on a new router. I dont think you need a draytek. The BT modem has been rock solid for me no problems its the shit home hub thats the problem.

Dont knock the router for being £10.00. Pics of gui on the thread below.

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?7993-ADSL-Router&p=125529#post125529

cypchris
13-06-12, 22:50
draytek are the best i have a 2820 its been brilliant i use both adsl and cable at the same time there are newer versions now but cant fault them
will be a pain to setup first off mind you

copex
14-06-12, 19:25
just before you go out and buy a draytek check out the billion 7800n.

eblaster101
15-06-12, 08:25
http://huaweihg612hacking.wordpress.com/

if you got BT you can flash the Fibre modem unlocking the webgui allowing you to view line stats and enable the use of the 2nd network port. I am in the process of figuring out how i can view the modems web interface and my routers through 1 cable.

Mr. Mister
28-06-12, 12:18
Hi guys..

thanks for all your opinions on this.. Draytek seems to be the one that everyone is recommending..

I dont really have any interest in forking out 300+ for a 2820n though.. So waiting for one to come up for sale in auction on fleabay.. that will hopefully not make anything close to that..

In the mean time.. A m8 of mine has given me a 5 port Home Theater & Gaming network switch.. Model : GS605AV

Now im not well up in routers and stuff.. I take it this is useless to me.. as i now have BT business broadband.. So i can not remove my BT hub.. and replace with this switch..

I still have the crappy white modem that BT install.. and they tell me that i must use this modem.. ( would not expect them to say anything else really )

Does anyone know if this is this true ..?? As i dont see any ports in the switch to put the red ethernet cable coming from the modem..

Any help would be greatly appreicated,,

cypchris
28-06-12, 12:36
these are on there mate

im85288
28-06-12, 12:43
Hi mate,

The switch is used basically to increase the number of Ethernet ports so that more devices can be connected to the Internet etc. So it does not replace your hub or anything, you connect a LAN cable from your hub to the switch, then use the other ports on the switch to connect to your devices.

If you've got bt infinity, then look at my previous post to see how to make the draytek work as both the modem and router.

Mr. Mister
28-06-12, 20:23
Hi mate,

The switch is used basically to increase the number of Ethernet ports so that more devices can be connected to the Internet etc. So it does not replace your hub or anything, you connect a LAN cable from your hub to the switch, then use the other ports on the switch to connect to your devices.

If you've got bt infinity, then look at my previous post to see how to make the draytek work as both the modem and router.

correct bud.. just noticed that at 5pm this evening when i went to fit it..

Talk about feeling like a prat.. lmao

eblaster101
28-06-12, 21:33
i am willing to send you a ddwrt dlink and if it freezes on you, and you have to reboot you can keep it for free. Otherwise send me £20 how does that sound.