PDA

View Full Version : Help. Bootloader not getting detected

kunmun23
06-06-12, 21:03
Hi m8s,
Trying to do a fresh clean install right from the bootloader.

I put the latest bootloader on a formatted USB, put it in the front USB slot, rebooted the box but it simply goes about booting the image without detecting the bootloader. Tried two different USB flash drives..have ensured nothing on the rear USB slot and no other files on the flash drive.

Tried 2-3 times but the box doesn't detect the bootloader in the front flash drive. It does detect if I have an image on the front flash drive.

What am I doing wrong ??

:confused:

basilyoung
06-06-12, 21:54
I first need to know what image you are trying to load?
the procedure as I remember is, load the boot loader on a usb stick, turn off the unit, plug the usb stick in, switch on the unit, the usb will be read, updated, then reboot the unit
then remove the boot loader files, and add the image files, and redo the above again

Flyingpig
06-06-12, 22:05
I have found that your USB drive needs to be formatted in Fat32 and made Bootable, then it should work.

Also double check that you have no other USB drives installed into the STB.

FP.

kunmun23
06-06-12, 22:17
I first need to know what image you are trying to load?
the procedure as I remember is, load the boot loader on a usb stick, turn off the unit, plug the usb stick in, switch on the unit, the usb will be read, updated, then reboot the unit
then remove the boot loader files, and add the image files, and redo the above again

Vix 2.4
Following the procedure as described above..no luck :(

kunmun23
06-06-12, 22:18
I have found that your USB drive needs to be formatted in Fat32 and made Bootable, then it should work.

Also double check that you have no other USB drives installed into the STB.

FP.

It's formatted as Fat32...how do I make it bootable ?? Never did that before..just a regular fat32 format worked in past..:confused:

basilyoung
06-06-12, 22:32
a formatted fat32 usb stick should be ok

does the unit read the usb, or is it ignoring it?

also when you add the folder, it should be a single folder, with the updated files within

kunmun23
06-06-12, 22:57
a formatted fat32 usb stick should be ok

does the unit read the usb, or is it ignoring it?

also when you add the folder, it should be a single folder, with the updated files within

Not ignoring the USB..as I said, if I replace the bootloader folder with the ViX image folder it reads it fine and prompts to flash the new image...only keeping a single folder on the USB named et9000 with the bootloader files in it

basilyoung
06-06-12, 23:00
is this a VIX image or another image that you are trying to load?

kunmun23
07-06-12, 00:06
ViX 2.4. As I said earlier, if I want to flash the image it seems to be detected and should load fine...it's the bootloader I'm trying to update (not sure if I have the latest one)

basilyoung
07-06-12, 00:10
what image is that is on the unit currently?? if its vix 2.3, you do not need to change the boot loader, just put the image on the unit

kunmun23
07-06-12, 00:11
Yes its Vix2.3. I'll try flashing 2.4 now

judge
07-06-12, 00:13
If 2.4 is booting fine, you already have updated the latest bootloader.

basilyoung
07-06-12, 00:30
the other thing i missed in the tread is this, the boot loader, once its installed, its not obvious, it most likely has been loaded multiple times,..i thought you were trying to load the image itself ( 2.4 )

kunmun23
07-06-12, 09:26
the other thing i missed in the tread is this, the boot loader, once its installed, its not obvious, it most likely has been loaded multiple times,..i thought you were trying to load the image itself ( 2.4 )

I guess that could have happened. Once a bootloader is detected does the box ask for a confirmation like "bootloader found. Flash ? (Yes/No)?"

If yes, then the bootloader wasn't detected at all. If no, then probably as you say, it would have flashed stealthily...

In any case, I think I have the latest bootloader because ViX2.4 install went like a cake-walk

Thanks all !!

Rob van der Does
07-06-12, 09:58
Installing a bootloader goes exactly the same way as flashing an image.
Did you try the folder name 'et9x00' as well as 'et9200' (or 'et9000' I don't know which box you have)?
What is the foldername you used for flashing the image?

kunmun23
07-06-12, 12:59
Installing a bootloader goes exactly the same way as flashing an image.
Did you try the folder name 'et9x00' as well as 'et9200' (or 'et9000' I don't know which box you have)?
What is the foldername you used for flashing the image?

Have a ET9000. I have already tried renaming the folder to "et9x00"..no success.
Downloaded the bootloader from the Vix image thread:
http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?18175-New-VIX-Image-ET-9x00-Series-Version-2-4-15-05-2012

bertros
02-07-12, 00:18
FWIW I am also stuck not being able to flash. New boot loader or image.

(i have performed this many times over the past year with no issues)

Running VIX 2.3 at the moment, so i have already got the correct 1st stage boot loader.

Just performed a factory reset, and will try again. Folder is called et9x00

Rob van der Does
02-07-12, 05:56
Running VIX 2.3 at the moment, so i have already got the correct 1st stage boot loader.
Just performed a factory reset, and will try again. Folder is called et9x00
There's no such thing as a '1st stage' bootloader (that's a DM-thing); it's just a bootloader.

Anyway: I can only advise to flash the bootloader once again.

You're sure all other USB-ports are empty when trying to flash?