PDA

View Full Version : Replacing hard drive

hex_inc
05-06-12, 13:34
I am considering replacing my hard drive before I update to the latest vix and was wondering if there was any particular recommended one to go for? Currently have a 1tb Samsung but have been experiencing issues with it.

Also, will I need to flash to a VU+ image after install so that the box picks up the new HDD or will it be picked up during the install of vix 2.4?

Many thanks.

basilyoung
05-06-12, 13:38
The image will see the new drive, so long as its formatted to fat3, but you will need to initialize the hard drive, via setup,system,hard drive,
I use a sammy 1 tera byte with out any problems,

hex_inc
05-06-12, 13:46
Thanks basil. I take it that I'll have to format from my pc first then?

Larry-G
05-06-12, 13:48
Thanks basil. I take it that I'll have to format from my pc first then?

If it's a brand new virgin HDD there should be no need to format it prior to putting it in the receiver, if it's a used HDD then yes format it via a PC to FAT32 first.

basilyoung
05-06-12, 13:49
Most likely not, I would simply install it,

Rob van der Does
05-06-12, 14:21
Currently have a 1tb Samsung but have been experiencing issues with it.
What kind of issues? Are you sure the HDD is to blame?

hex_inc
05-06-12, 15:13
What kind of issues? Are you sure the HDD is to blame?

Glitching in recordings and also loss of audio. Currently using black hole 1.7.2 and the drive is formatted as fat32. Last night, the system crashed while watching a recording programme causing the drive to be wiped and corrupting my cccam.cfg file.

I think I will give it a try formatting the existing drive as ext4 under a fresh install of vix 2.4 to see how it goes.

Rob van der Does
05-06-12, 15:25
I indeed would do the initialising trick. The system will them be Ext4, which is much better than FAT32.
Although not impossible, a hardware-problem seems unlikely to me.
You never pull the plug, do you? I mean, you do shut down the system via the menu?

hex_inc
05-06-12, 15:59
I would only ever pull the plug if the system became unresponsive, which was the case last night. Otherwise, I always shut down etc from the system menu.

Rob van der Does
05-06-12, 16:00
I would only ever pull the plug if the system became unresponsive, which was the case last night. Otherwise, I always shut down etc from the system menu.
OK, understand that. But pulling the plug can corrupt the filesystem, especially FAT-systems.

hex_inc
05-06-12, 16:46
Duly noted