PDA

View Full Version : Anyone recommend HDD cloning software

Maxwell
05-06-12, 08:41
I need something reliable to do a complete disc image including boot sectors, last time I tried something like this I imaged the disc with Acronis however after restoring to a new drive it would not boot but all the data was there and accessable.

Larry-G
05-06-12, 08:44
Try clonezilla i posted links to the latest version in the Linux OS section yesterday.

Sicilian
07-06-12, 16:02
I've used EaseUS before
http://www.easeus.com/disk-copy/home-edition/

DixieRay
13-06-12, 12:24
Try clonezilla i posted links to the latest version in the Linux OS section yesterday.

would than clonezilla work of a linux OS drive and be able to clone it to another disc that was difference size

DixieRay
13-06-12, 12:27
I need something reliable to do a complete disc image including boot sectors, last time I tried something like this I imaged the disc with Acronis however after restoring to a new drive it would not boot but all the data was there and accessable.

that might be from your mobo settings if you had ahci as sata on one board then ide as sata on another board it might give u booting problems if you were using the same mobob for both diskcs then that would not be reason for no boot

pooface
13-06-12, 14:20
Another option is symantec ghost. I dunno about the norton equivalent of it, as I've only used the corporate versions, but It works great allowing you to create an image file saved to usb/internal hdd and also via network, and also allows you to clone hdds to larger or smaller (assuming all data will fit on the smaller hdd) drives.

Can also easily create a parted usb bootdisk and put the linux version of the ghost client on...

Clonezilla is pretty good also from the little tests I've done with it, just not as versatile as ghost imo...

Larry-G
13-06-12, 15:56
would than clonezilla work of a linux OS drive and be able to clone it to another disc that was difference size

I has been a while since i used clonezilla but it has a very powerful set of tools included.