PDA

View Full Version : Trying to install Vix 2.4 again.

Dell_XPS
03-06-12, 15:40
Uninstalled it when It first came out as I didn't like it, few things didn't work for me, now my second attempt is worse, cant get past the network menu, when I click on anything in there I get a message saying network feeds are down, then the box freezes ?, have to switch on/off a the back.
Am I just being unlucky with this, latest build on 2.4 :-(

Larry-G
03-06-12, 15:43
The feeds are currently down while andy updates them with the new builds, they will be back as soon as all the uploads are done but please bear with us as he has a slow internet connection and has to upload them all from his build server.

Dell_XPS
03-06-12, 15:45
Does this affect AFP Samba network though ?

Larry-G
03-06-12, 15:50
yes as they need to be downloaded from the server to be re-installed. by default we have removed all unnecessary network services such as AFP, SAMBA, NFS from the image but left a header in the network sub section so that you can re-install them at a click of a button from the feeds. so while the feeds are down for updating those downloads will be unavailable. dont worry though they will be back up soon.

Dell_XPS
03-06-12, 15:51
Any idea on how long ?, as I'll just go back to 2.3 :-(

Larry-G
03-06-12, 15:54
usually within a few hrs as andy has a slow internet connection and needs to upload them all manually. if you feel the need to go back to 2.3 then by all means do but it wont stop you from using the box for it's primary function ie watching tv while you wait.

Dell_XPS
03-06-12, 15:57
Back to 2.3 it is, will try 2.4 at a later date :-(, cheers anyway Phoenix !

Larry-G
03-06-12, 19:46
the feeds are now fully back online so you should be good to go.

Dell_XPS
04-06-12, 12:30
Ok away to try, 3rd time lucky :-)
Cheers !

Larry-G
04-06-12, 12:32
well the feeds are all green now dell bud so you should be fine to go. let me know how you get on.

Dell_XPS
04-06-12, 14:07
Installed everything ok, :-), I then swapped the skin_display_picon.xml to the one I was using with Vix 2.3 hoping that my VFD would work, no joy, should I have just kept the original file thats flashed with the image, Picons are turned on in the menu etc, anybody upload the file there are using for 2.4 please ?

Larry-G
04-06-12, 14:10
Try downloading another skin from the feeds something like one of robs magic skins then set the skin and reboot. This should replace the missing file so you can again go back to the other skin of your choice. on and next time make a backup LOL.

Dell_XPS
04-06-12, 14:12
Soz m8 you've picked me up wrong, Im trying to get the VFD picons working :-)

Larry-G
04-06-12, 14:17
Soz m8 you've picked me up wrong, Im trying to get the VFD picons working :-)

yeah now worries, i read it as you had uploaded the edited .xml file and now your VFD was not working and needed a new .xml to put it right.

sorry i cant help you on the picons bit as frankly i dont use them on mine i'd rather have the info on mine than some ( in my opinion ) worthless picons.

But hey thats what the hobby is all about, we all do things differently as it should be, otherwise we'd all be boring old farts with too many shotguns LOL.

Dell_XPS
04-06-12, 14:42
Ok m8, your right Im wrong...lol, put it back on the Vix HD skin, VFD picons working no probs, changed skin back to BASIC HD skin, they dont work, I take it only a few skins are working with the new 2.4 ?
Cheers again !

Larry-G
04-06-12, 14:51
Ok m8, your right Im wrong...lol, put it back on the Vix HD skin, VFD picons working no probs, changed skin back to BASIC HD skin, they dont work, I take it only a few skins are working with the new 2.4 ?
Cheers again !

well all of the ViX ones do obviously LOL so do the magic skins, but the image is so heavily updated and altered compared to others that most general E2 skins for other images are not going to be fully compatible unless their respective authors update them. There sadly is not much we can do about that. The good thing though is that if your willing to give it a try you can attempt to edit skins your self and make them to your liking.

Dell_XPS
04-06-12, 17:07
I'll stick with the Vix skin, just got used to the BASIC HD skin, time for a change...lol

Larry-G
04-06-12, 19:27
LOL. you'll grow to love it mate. its clean and well laid out. does every thing you need and just works.