PDA

View Full Version : Deleted channels re-appear in channel list

thecaretaker
30-05-12, 18:49
Please help me, this is going to take some explaining....

I use the latest version of DreamBoxEdit to edit my channel bouquets. After a scan, I have a lot of channels that have no names or odd characters like ???????, so I use DreamBoxEdit to remove them. It's easy, no problem.

I save all the files to a folder on my desktop. When I send the channel boquets to the VU+ Ultimo (Either manually using ftp to the correct VU+ folders, or using the DreamBoxEdit ftp - I've tried every way I know) the files transfer without any problem.

I reboot the VU+ Ultimo, but then find that the deleted channels have mysteriously reappeared in the all channel list.

If I reload the desktop folder files into DreamboxEdit, the deleted channels are not there - they are definately deleted OK.

If I upload to the VU+ the files (with the deleted channels) and I immediately download the channel bouquets from from the VU+ to another folder on my desktop with Dreamboxedit, all is fine, the unwanted channels remain deleted.

But as soon as I reboot the VU+ Ultimo, the deleted channels mysteriously return.

What could cause the VU+ Ultimo to keep adding these unwanted channels again?

Please put me out of my misery, point me in the right direction ;)

Larry-G
30-05-12, 18:54
The all channels heading is updated by the background scan the image performs and is not part of the bouquets you upload to the receiver.

obviously that is the most simplistic explanation possible and someone who can explain in more detail will.

Trial
30-05-12, 19:31
Hi,
you can disable this behavior in the settings. I think it is called disable background scan in english.

ciao

thecaretaker
30-05-12, 19:51
Thanks. I've found that setting under customise and I have now disabled it.

So are you saying that when the VU+ has found these services during a background scan, there is nothing I can do to remove them (apart from doing a fresh firmware install maybe)?

Huevos
31-05-12, 09:00
I not certain about this. Pooface will know the correct answer if this is wrong.

Telnet to the box and send init 4.
Uploaded your edited channel list.
Send init 6.

Rob van der Does
31-05-12, 09:10
1- Of course you can change the 'all channels' list; it's just the complete list of all channels that the box has available;
2- Setting 'backgroundscan' to off can have severe negative consequences and is only advised for experienced users.

Huevos
31-05-12, 12:16
1- Of course you can change the 'all channels' list; it's just the complete list of all channels that the box has available;Rob, can you confirm the procedure, because if you delete them in DBEdit and then send that to the box and restart, the channels deleted in DBEdit still remain in the all channels list.

Rob van der Does
31-05-12, 14:01
Hmmm, I don't get it. If I sent a channellist with no channels at all, the 'all'- list is empty as well.
tbh: I never use DBE, but Dreamset; but I can't imagine that makes a difference.

Larry-G
31-05-12, 14:04
Hmmm, I don't get it. If I sent a channellist with no channels at all, the 'all'- list is empty as well.
tbh: I never use DBE, but Dreamset; but I can't imagine that makes a difference.

I would expect that to be the case until the background scan kicked in and filled in the all channels section with found channels.

Trial
31-05-12, 14:18
Hi,
"all channel" is not a bouquet. Delete all channel in DBE or Dreamset and watch the file lamedb this is the place where "all channel" are stored.

ciao

Rob van der Does
31-05-12, 14:22
I would expect that to be the case until the background scan kicked in and filled in the all channels section with found channels.
That is correct: when tuned to a transponder the backgroundscan scans that transponder.

StuBFrost
31-05-12, 14:58
That is correct: when tuned to a transponder the backgroundscan scans that transponder.

Does this remove channels that are no longer on the transponder or does it just add ?

Rob van der Does
31-05-12, 15:44
Does this remove channels that are no longer on the transponder or does it just add ?
A (background)scan doesn't remove channels: it adds new channels (channels that are not in the 'all'-list) and changes parameters of existing channels (if applicable).

StuBFrost
31-05-12, 15:53
A (background)scan doesn't remove channels: it adds new channels (channels that are not in the 'all'-list) and changes parameters of existing channels (if applicable).

OK thanks. Shame it doesn't remove them or offer to remove them as well. Would save messing with new bouquet lists all the time.

Rob van der Does
31-05-12, 17:11
OK thanks. Shame it doesn't remove them or offer to remove them as well. Would save messing with new bouquet lists all the time.
Hmm, I don't see that. Why would the presence of channels (even if you don't use them at all) hamper you in any way? Make your bouquets the way you want, or download complete sets: they will never have any interference from other channels.
The 'all'-list is just a database for the receiver: you never ever need to look at that yourself. You just use the bouquest: that's what they are there for.

Rob van der Does
31-05-12, 20:32
2- Setting 'backgroundscan' to off can have severe negative consequences and is only advised for experienced users.
I have to withdraw that: there have been bugs in the setting 'backgroundscan = off' but that has been fixed. So you can use that setting without having to expect problems.

But: of course than changed parameters will also not be 'seen' by the box.

thecaretaker
01-06-12, 20:42
Thanks for your help folks. I've spent a lot of time playing around getting my bouquets set up how I want them. I'm new to all this, so I'm learning how to get my head around how everything works (and the VU ticks).

I've turned background scan back on.

Thanks again...:cool: