PDA

View Full Version : Vu+ team is delighted to invite you to ANGA Cable 2012

bassethound
30-05-12, 10:27
At the upcoming event in Cologne, Germany, Vu+ team will release several announcements at the stand.

First of all, we will introduce the 2nd generation models of our best sellers: Vu+ DUO, Vu+ SOLO.
At the Vu+ stand, you will see:

Vu+ DUO2 integrated with the new chip-set
Vu+ SOLO2 integrated with the new chip-set

And a lot more including HBBTV support.

We are looking forward to seeing you in Hall 10.1 Stand S21

Vu+ Team

http://www2.vuplus.com/14-vuplus-articles/109-anga2012

Mr. Mister
30-05-12, 13:28
Interesting..

So there really is gonna be a Solo II and a Duo II..

Looking forward to getting my hands on one of those.. lmao

Maxwell
30-05-12, 13:34
Interesting..

So there really is gonna be a Solo II and a Duo II..

Looking forward to getting my hands on one of those.. lmao

Hopefully with a better spec than was in the rumoured spec sheet floating around last week :)

Larry-G
30-05-12, 13:43
Two new boxes by Vu and new boxes coming out by GigaBlue should be a interesting time for us sat nerds.

captain jack
15-06-12, 09:24
Interesting - I wonder what differences between a Solo2 and an Uno are.

Rob van der Does
15-06-12, 09:36
Interesting - I wonder what differences between a Solo2 and an Uno are.Well, I would put it the other way around: is anything on those two boxes the same :D

But let's be honest: in spite of the things we now know about those boxes, there's also a lot we don't know. Among the latter are retail-price and date of availability.

captain jack
15-06-12, 09:40
Well, both have the same single tuner, running Enigma2 with the same speed. Would it be an upgrade from the Uno?

Have to wait for official specs I guess.

Trial
15-06-12, 09:47
Hi,
what are you talking about?

Uno: 1 changeable tuner, 400MHz CPU with 1100DMIPS
Solo2: 2 fixed Tuner, 1.3GHz CPU with 7000 DMIPS

That are the rumour I heard and there is no difference?

ciao

Alanp
15-06-12, 09:58
I wonder if they will release an Ultimo2 in time?

Rob van der Does
15-06-12, 10:38
I wonder if they will release an Ultimo2 in time?
Your guess is as good as mine.......

captain jack
15-06-12, 10:44
Hi,
what are you talking about?

Uno: 1 changeable tuner, 400MHz CPU with 1100DMIPS
Solo2: 2 fixed Tuner, 1.3GHz CPU with 7000 DMIPS

That are the rumour I heard and there is no difference?

ciao

1.3GHz CPU ?! :eek: Not that I am complaining, but what do you need such a huge CPU for? Uno is plenty fast enough as it is..

Trial
15-06-12, 10:52
Hi,
have you tried web surfing with the UNO? Not bad but also not good.

ciao

Rob van der Does
15-06-12, 10:55
1.3GHz CPU ?! :eek: Not that I am complaining, but what do you need such a huge CPU for? Uno is plenty fast enough as it is.
That is absolutely correct. my guess is, that this will make the box a full Media Player.
As you know the present generation STB's uses hardware decoding; that is a must with the CPU's used atm. But that also means that a lot of files can't be played, as the codecs used for those files is not (fully) compatible with the built-in codecs.
That would be the only logical use for a fast CPU I can think of (apart from 'general-PC-usage applications such as surfing).

Furthermore: as I showed in SatNews VU+ has also announced a DUAL-tuner that would be compatible with the UNO, DUO-2 & Ultimo, making those boxes twin/triple/quad-tuner boxes.

captain jack
15-06-12, 11:09
I would never browse the internet using my satellite receiver! But yes, a very good point regarding the media player. Current media player implementation is relatively poor on Enigma2 boxes. RuDream made a half-decent attempt at creating a non-free image to convert the box to a media player but you are still limited to what you can play. And I tried it and didn't like it.

Interesting about the dual tuners for the Uno - nice upgrade!

Johev
19-06-12, 16:07
For me the better CPU would be mostly welcomed for creating a lower resolution stream, so that we can actually use this remotely over a 3G network or when we are on holidays and not close to our boxes. So far we need to use a computer with vlc to re-encode a TV channel at a lower bit rate so that it can be actually transmitted over a normal internet connection. If the new boxes would be able to do it, I could finally use my Galaxy Note at work to watch some EURO 2012 TV matches :)

Just my 2 euro cents

captain jack
19-06-12, 16:11
Good point there Johev

Rob van der Does
19-06-12, 16:41
Yeah, I think that's what such a CPU would be useful for. And for (full) media-playback (using software-codecs).

Trial
19-06-12, 19:00
Hi,

For me the better CPU would be mostly welcomed for creating a lower resolution stream, so that we can actually use this remotely over a 3G network
for this you do not need the faster CPU. The new chip should do reencoding in hardware:-)

ciao

Johev
21-06-12, 15:43
Hi,

for this you do not need the faster CPU. The new chip should do reencoding in hardware:-)

ciao

At this point I don't care how it is done, as long as I can use it :). Right now I have the most powerful dual core CPU (400Mhz) in these Linux boxes (ET9200 SE) and it can not handle it. I think that VU+ ultimo was a huge disappointment, specs wise. It had the same CPU as the Xtrend boxes were using for a long time, the 512/1Gb of RAM/ROM was just strange for me. Why the hell would we need so much ROM and only give us 512Mb of RAM (not that we need more, as I can't use more than 50% most of the times), but it was just strange.

But these boxes sure sound like they could bring something new to the field. And for me a Satellite Box/Stream Server/Media player/Bit torrent client, all in the same box would just be great. Lets hope they won't cost us 900EUR for a dual tuner, as it would make me cry :p

rumpole
21-06-12, 20:16
for quality i find the duo a superb box with great support and
for general viewing on the major sats it's fantastic, but not so good on the fringe sats and will go for the v2 duo if the new model of the duo has
had the tuners up rated, i find the duo is'nt as strong on weak tp's as my dm800se on sats like 7w i get signals between 38 and 48 % on the duo with 800se it's 44 to 51% and similar results on 26e with the dm800se giving stronger signals on a 1.2 dish in the north west of the uk

captain jack
21-06-12, 20:18
I think the Uno/Ultimo have more sensitive tuners than Solo/Duo. Wonder what v2 ones will be like.

Trial
22-06-12, 07:38
Hi,
you cannot compare the percentages of totally different STBs. It is a bit like comparing the fuel consumption without knowing the type of car.

ciao

Rob van der Does
22-06-12, 07:55
I think the Uno/Ultimo have more sensitive tuners than Solo/Duo.

you cannot compare the percentages of totally different STBs. It is a bit like comparing the fuel consumption without knowing the type of car.
Yeah, I also would like to know how he established that.

Trial
22-06-12, 08:50
Hi,
from my own experience I would say that tuner of Uno/Ultimo are a bit more sensible then Duo. I found 30-40 more services with Uno/Ultimo than with my Duo. BUT things can change with frequency and bit rate so it may not be valid for all situations.

ciao

captain jack
22-06-12, 09:00
I think in this case, you can... sort of. My old DM800 had very similar readings on the SNR scale as my Uno. SNR of 30% or more was required for a lock and 34%+ for a stable picture. This was the case for every other Enigma2 based Dreambox I've seen. My friend's DM500HD has exactly the same requirements. So I think it's quire comparable.

Rob van der Does
22-06-12, 10:01
SNR-readings can't be used for comparing different boxes; there's no calibrating whatsoever. And especially the percentage-readings: percentages of what??
The readings can only be used for comparison between different transponders on the same box (and hence for dish-aligning).

captain jack
22-06-12, 10:06
I realise that the readings between boxes are different - even on the Engima2 family of boxes will have variations.

Percentage of what? Don't know :D I know that 31% on the Dreambox equals to around 5db of signal above noise and 90% is around 14db. Gives you an idea of what's what.