PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Duo] VIX Media Player

thejoker
27-05-12, 23:49
Hi guys, Ive recently just switched over to vix from bh on my vu duo. Must say this image is far superior, epg is far better and the quick zap function where you can move between channels without actually changing the arrows just like the sly box is a neat feature.

Only thing Im having trouble with is the media player. When I play the media button (next to menu button) it comes up with a crash log, I went to log manager but there is nothing there that can resolve it.

Now I downloaded the enhanced movie center 3.0 and it launches ok when I press the media button but I can see none of the movies on my usb stick.

I had originally had my 32gb usb stick formatted to exfat as that is the only way you can store movies over 4gb on the drive. But i initialized it on the vu duo and no luck, i even formatted it on my laptop to fat32 but no luck.

Im not too sure on initialising, mounting and setting up external or internal drives. I have yet to set up the epg as I am waiting on an 3.5 hdd arriving in the post. Is that the recommended location for the epg, the internal hdd....

judge
28-05-12, 00:07
Media player works perfectly in VIX, have you installed any plugins that might break it?
What's in your crash log?

Rob van der Does
28-05-12, 07:00
1- I would not use any plugins like EMC; no need, and no added functionality. Combined with your remarks about the stick, I think the recordingslocation has not been set up OK;
2- A stick can be initialised by the box using Ext4 (hence no recording size restrictions);
3- Open ViX-Mountmanager and see if your stick has been mounted properly; I would suggest to mount it as HDD (if no HDD is in use). Check recordings location after having done that.

wullboy
28-05-12, 13:14
Is that the recommended location for the epg, the internal hdd.... No m8, a usb stick is the recommended place for your EPG, !!

Rob van der Does
28-05-12, 14:04
No m8, a usb stick is the recommended place for your EPG, !!
Why would that be then? If a HDD is available, there's no good reason to (also) use an USB-stick.
epg,dat is only read upon E2 start, and written on E2 stop. So this will never keep your HDD from falling asleep.

Silent
28-05-12, 14:21
I agree with Rob's point 1, the Media Player might be looking for /hdd/movie but it doesn't exist.

thejoker
29-05-12, 00:34
When I install EMC, it loads fine. I have uninstalled it now but vix media player will not load. I have attached the crash log. I have converted to ext4 and have mounted usb stick. It is mounted as /media/usb....Device /dev/sda1 ....Type vfat R/W

No luck, internal hard drive arriving tomorrow but that is for epg and recordings, I want to use usb stick only for playing avi & mkv movies...

Larry-G
29-05-12, 00:45
To be honest the crash logs may as well be in ancient Sumerian for me as i cant read them LOL, but the log shows your still on build 112 is there any reason for this ?, also the log shows you have the HD GLASS 16 skin installed, now that particular skin is known to tie it's grubby mits into all types of files and cause a rite mess.

I would suggest you make a full backup of your current image so you can return to it if needed and try a clean install of 2.4-135 then try again and let us know if you see a difference.

also submit the logs directly to andy via the log manager that way he should see it a lot faster and wont have to go looking through threads etc.

thejoker
29-05-12, 00:56
Wasnt using hd glass, hated it, been using magic skin, uninstalled glass skin but no difference. Will do a fresh install in the morning and report back. Not sure how to send log file in manager, it tells me it cannot send as I need to enter my details in the menu but not sure how to do that.

Larry-G
29-05-12, 01:04
when your in the logs manager there are two headings ( cant remember the names as i'm at work ) but the top one allows you to enter your details, as for HD GLASS it's virtually impossible to fully de-install that skin as it hacks its way into too many system files so even after removing the skin will leave many many remnants behind to cause problems.

judge
29-05-12, 01:05
I'd wait till your HD arrives, install it & do as pheonix suggests, a fresh install of build 2.4-135.
Your USB stick will work perfectly to watch recordings off of.

thejoker
29-05-12, 15:01
Ok guys, hard drive in, 2.4 135 flashed, installed everything I need for box to work for me and its going great and media player button works. Hard drive initialised and mounted, successfully recorded and epg done.

I have put a movie on my usb stick and inserted it to front usb port but its not coming up in the media player

thejoker
29-05-12, 15:32
Got it now guys, had to format drive to fat32 for it to work. I had it formatted as exfat as that means on my blu ray I can watch films over 4gb. But you guys say if I convert to ext4 on the duo it will let me watch movies over 4gb. Will it still be readable by my computer when I convert to ext4.

Larry-G
29-05-12, 15:41
Got it now guys, had to format drive to fat32 for it to work. I had it formatted as exfat as that means on my blu ray I can watch films over 4gb. But you guys say if I convert to ext4 on the duo it will let me watch movies over 4gb. Will it still be readable by my computer when I convert to ext4.

Not natively but if you google ext2Fsd you will see a few easy tutorials showing you how to mount Ext3 and EXt4 drives in windows.

thejoker
29-05-12, 15:53
AHHH, whatever Ive done, usb is not working now. Seems as if drive is not mounted. When I go into mount manager and try to mount drive to media/usb it crashed and reboots. What am I doing wrong..

Larry-G
29-05-12, 16:00
Upload the crash log here or directly via the logs manager

Larry-G
29-05-12, 16:17
Not natively but if you google ext2Fsd you will see a few easy tutorials showing you how to mount Ext3 and EXt4 drives in windows.

install this.

thejoker
29-05-12, 20:56
Cheers phoenix. Have uploaded the log here as to why its crashing when trying to mount my usb stick. No idea why its not working...

thejoker
29-05-12, 21:12
Ok I initialised the usb stick and it is now mounted as media usb and media player recognises the drive. I didnt think you had to initialise an external drive. Anyway, i have a macbook so now when I insert my usb stick to my mac it is not recognised.

What do I need for my mac to recognise the usb stick...?

Also does the vu duo box record ok even if tv is turned off?

Larry-G
29-05-12, 21:30
Ok I initialised the usb stick and it is now mounted as media usb and media player recognises the drive. I didnt think you had to initialise an external drive. Anyway, i have a macbook so now when I insert my usb stick to my mac it is not recognised.

What do I need for my mac to recognise the usb stick...?

Check this link

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/mac-os-x-read-ext3-ext4-external-usb-hard-disk-partition/

Rob van der Does
30-05-12, 07:01
LOL, the TV has nothing to do with to with your recordings :confused:

bennyxf1
02-09-13, 20:33
Hi,

I wonder if you can help. I can record & timeshift, but when i click the green button it takes me to timer overview - when i press ok it takes me to timer entry page where i 'could' edit the recording(s) and i cant view the recording.
My recording settings are as follows;
Default movie location /hdd/movie/
Timer recording location /media/hdd/ - Should this be <Default movie location> - if so how do i change it to this?????
Instant recording location /media/hdd/ - Should this be <Default movie location> - if so how do i change it to this?????

Is there a shortcut button to access your recordings? - i thought this would be the green button? As i said this just seems to take me to 'Timer overview'

Thanks in advance.

Larry-G
02-09-13, 20:38
To access recordings hit the file list button which is directly to the right of the menu button.

not007
02-05-14, 23:45
Hi. Is there another way to get to the recordings? I don't have the filelist button on my generic (logitec) remote.

Thnx!

evesham
04-05-14, 01:03
Press Menu >> Plugins >> Media Scanner >> Select your hard drive or usb >> Press OK or 1 to view movies