PDA

View Full Version : [VU+ Duo] Duo Restoring from backup issue

greatcapp
27-05-12, 18:49
If I've ever had a crash & wanted to restore a stable image, I've always been able to re-flash my Duo with a fresh version of 2.3(or 2.4), and then got into the Image manager & restore a backup from there.

Having tried just now however, I'm struggling.

I can point on the system to where my backups are, and it finds them all, but I can't restore to one of them.

If I select a saved backup, when i press "OK" i get the "No entry/Not allowed" symbol in the top right of the screen.

None of the coloured buttons correspond to being able to select the image either.

Am I missing something obvious?

Thanx

Larry-G
27-05-12, 18:59
are these backups you are trying to restore to 2.4 made from a earlier image ? as it is recommended that you do not restore backups between image versions in this way.

greatcapp
27-05-12, 19:02
I have both 2.3 & 2.4.

My issue is, that I don't seem to be able to "select" one to try to restore.I can see them, I can press RED to refresh, GREEN to make new image, YELLOW to download, and BLUE to delete one.
But, How do I select one to restore to it?

Larry-G
27-05-12, 19:17
ok.

I just made a settings backup on my Duo running ViX 2.4-135. Then did a full fresh re-install of ViX 2.4-135.

once the receiver flashed and rebooted, i navigated through the usual setup options until i get to the settings restore part and it works fine for me, i am able to scroll through all the backups i have on the USB stick i store them on and select any of them using the OK button. I then restored the settings just fine with no errors or problems encountered.

I am also able to navigate through the backup manager just fine to restore any settings. by the sounds of it if you can see a yellow button to download then your not in the backup manager but the image manager.

greatcapp
27-05-12, 20:02
Hi There,

Yes, I am in the Image manager. It's a complete image that I want to restore (from a previous image backup).

If you're in Image Manager, are you able to select an Image to restore? If so, how? :-)

Larry-G
27-05-12, 20:04
Hi There,

Yes, I am in the Image manager. It's a complete image that I want to restore (from a previous image backup).

If you're in Image Manager, are you able to select an Image to restore? If so, how? :-)

no you cant restore a image like that, you copy the image files to a USB stick and flash it the same way you would any other image.

greatcapp
27-05-12, 20:12
Really? I've never put anything other than a fresh image onto a USB stick, but I've restored images several times through Image manager. Was it something that was previously available? Maybe I'm losing the plot :-(

Larry-G
27-05-12, 20:14
no it has never worked that way you were likely restoring a settings backup from the backup manager, this will restore all your plugins, settings, cams, bouquets etc.

greatcapp
27-05-12, 20:24
Ok, I fully respect that you know a hell of a lot more than me on this subject, but I have 5 saved Image backups (all the ones that I've saved since owning my Duo) that show up in Image Manager, yet nothing that is saved or show up in Backup Manager - which, for me, would make sense, as I've never gone into Backup Manager before as I've always found taking a complete image backup is easiest for me to restore.

I am at a complete loss, as to how I've managed to restore from these before.

I've now got my system to how I want it again (having started from scratch), and now, looking in Backup Manager, it's offering me which folders to save. If I'm now going to use Backup Manager, is it best to just select ALL folder in here, and that will back everything up for me?

Thanks for the help by the way :-)

***EDIT***

In fact, Backup Manager won't work for me. It get's to 81/100, hang for around 5-10 mins, then fails.

Rob van der Does
28-05-12, 07:13
Really? I've never put anything other than a fresh image onto a USB stick, but I've restored images several times through Image manager. Was it something that was previously available? Maybe I'm losing the plot :-(
That was indeed available, but the option got lost using the latest bootloader (the filesystem has been changed, and the present system doesn't support 'live-restore'). Nothing we can do about that.

greatcapp
28-05-12, 09:07
Thanks buddy. I was seriously begining to think I had been imagining it :-)

In fact, I'd also just found this tutorial

http://www.world-of-satellite.com/showthread.php?9752-How-to-use-Backup-amp-Image-Manager-on-Duo-Solo-Uno-ET9000-ET5000-ViX

which shows it used to be on the "Yellow" button, which has now changed to Download.

Not to worry, thanks to Pheonix advice, I've discovered I can just copy the backups to a USB stick and restore that way anyway, so that's good enough for me :-)

Thanks everyone.

Rob van der Does
28-05-12, 10:01
Never start doubting yourself........!

Larry-G
28-05-12, 10:49
That was indeed available, but the option got lost using the latest bootloader (the filesystem has been changed, and the present system doesn't support 'live-restore'). Nothing we can do about that.

well that explains it for me then as i have never used a duo prior to this bootloader.